diy solar

diy solar

RoyPow, Epoch, & PowerUrus

kytoon

In watching Will's video's I became sold on the Roypow. My first step will be a battery to put on pontoon for trolling motor. 2nd step will be golf cart batteries.

My concern is None of the roypow brands (roypow, epoch, or powerurus) are on amazon so that I can at least look at reviews. They seem to be building their own stuff so I'm inclined to assume it's a decent company.

Roypow has no pricing listed on batteries though they have quite a line up of varieties. Epoch has pricing and seems to be a step down from roypow with similar though slight step down in golf cart and trolling motor battery feature. Powerurus has a simple 100ah 12 volt battery that has bluetooth and cold temp cut off (really all I need for pontoon as it will be housed under a seat that is designed to keep water out.

I'm kind of torn as powerurus $450 get's low temp cut off, bluetooth and includes a roypow 10 amp charger.

So my questions; is there a big bad story behind why they are not on amazon? Or is this a company that makes good products and has choosen not to compete in the amazon market place?

Or is it safter to just get simple chins $300 battery?

Last edited:
The differences are grade rating, BMS quality, and cold protection circuitry. Do any of these talk to these?

I only read the negative reviews then try to figure out which are user error, and which are just people complaining for no reason.
That's funny as I apply a similar filter to figure out the likely real rating.

Yes I'm finding some limited dealers. That dealer does not show a 36 volt roypow golf cart battery. But does show the epoch 36 volt golf cart battery at $1600 and looks a lot like the marine battery box but bigger. If you think of it as 3 batteries that's $530 per battery and one would expect that they have some built in balancing and load handling that would be difficult to achieve with 3 separate batteries.

The epoch 100ah 12 volt marine battery at $549 slightly less than the new SOK marine battery 100ah with similar features. SOK would win the trolling motor battery since it's serviceable and only a few bucks more. https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/sok-lithium-iron-phosphate-12v-100ah-battery-marine-grade

It seems roypow came on the scene just a couple of years ago and focused on vehicle power.

I'm going to pause on the golf cart upgrade as if I'm dropping $1600 I would expect the cells to be serviceable.

Still torn on the trolling motor battery vs standard budget lifpo4 battery.

Golf car I'm in the process of recovering some Trojan T105's that were used, abused and left for dead in the car when I bought it this fall. My plan is recover to at least 80% battery capacity and I've exceeded that on 4 of the 6. Only one battery is really giving me some trouble, it is around 75%. I'd rather convert to a controller and ditch the resistor before moving to LFP.

For my trolling needs, I went with a pair of Zooms 100Ah and I'm impressed. I've run as hard as 47A on the pair against wind and current and trolled all day and still only used 25% capacity. I paid $315 each. I use a Victron charger with an onboard mount. Time will tell on the Zoom's but certainly a better deal compared to FLA or AGM.

The golf cart has been sitting for at least 3 years as I was tired of constantly fighting batteries. I bought a mule gas powered and it handles the farm chores. The problem is when I'm trying to work my wife decides it's time for a ride and takes mule. So it's time to get her the cart back. It's stock cart. 6 new lead batteries would be at least half the cost of what Lipo4 is costing now. And with something like the epoch coming on the scene it would seem that drop in conversion would be fairly simple. I think it will be a short time line before someone upgrades epoch design and puts in cells that could be serviceable.

What size trolling motor are you running? Seems your suggestion is save on the battery (within reason) and spend more on charger. As opposed to getting the powerurus with their economy charger. I was liking the phone app for battery state of charge but don't think it's worth the extra money.

Hello DIY Solar community,

We’re glad to answer any questions that you might have. We’d like to quickly mention that we’re an independent Atlanta-based company (who’s more so in collaborative partnership with RoyPow). Many of the designs you see featured on our website are exclusive to us (or will be exclusive to us if they’re aren’t already). Some of the advantages to choosing us are: we offer an additional layer of quality assurance, effective US-based customer support, fast shipping and a competitive 11-year warranty.

Regarding the batteries themselves – We strive to ensure that ours are well-crafted, feature-rich, and competitively priced (without sacrificing quality). Quality and craftsmanship are important considerations for us as a company and for our customers. We use Grade A EVE Energy cells in our batteries and each system undergoes extensive testing to ensure that quality meets or exceeds exacting standards. We incorporate many features into our systems without overburdening or compromising system integrity. A wide range of protections and Bluetooth connectivity come standard, and our (recently updated) app provides performance data and quick access to resources (such as product manuals, historical data, and contact info).

We’ve got plans to further expand our product range in the near future (Q1 ‘23) and we’ll have new models to showcase for golf carts, EUVs, RVs, and solar. If you’d like to learn more or have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us anytime.

PS – As it so happens, some of our batteries were recently made available on Amazon. There are however a myriad of reasons that companies in the lithium space might not necessarily desire to compete there.

We’re glad to answer any questions that you might have. We’d like to quickly mention that we’re an independent Atlanta-based company (who’s more so in collaborative partnership with RoyPow). Many of the designs you see featured on our website are exclusive to us (or will be exclusive to us if they’re aren’t already). Some of the advantages to choosing us are: we offer an additional layer of quality assurance, effective US-based customer support, fast shipping and a competitive 11-year warranty.

Regarding the batteries themselves – We strive to ensure that ours are well-crafted, feature-rich, and competitively priced (without sacrificing quality). Quality and craftsmanship are important considerations for us as a company and for our customers. We use Grade A EVE Energy cells in our batteries and each system undergoes extensive testing to ensure that quality meets or exceeds exacting standards. We incorporate many features into our systems without overburdening or compromising system integrity. A wide range of protections and Bluetooth connectivity come standard, and our (recently updated) app provides performance data and quick access to resources (such as product manuals, historical data, and contact info).

We’ve got plans to further expand our product range in the near future (Q1 ‘23) and we’ll have new models to showcase for golf carts, EUVs, RVs, and solar. If you’d like to learn more or have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us anytime.

PS – As it so happens, some of our batteries were recently made available on Amazon. There are however a myriad of reasons that companies in the lithium space might not necessarily desire to compete there.
Can you describe your BMS Epoch uses. Is the 11 year warranty standard on all products? Is this prorated? What is the expected cycle life of the batteries? Excellent plug for your company here. Glad to see you are close to us. Thanks.

The golf cart has been sitting for at least 3 years as I was tired of constantly fighting batteries. I bought a mule gas powered and it handles the farm chores. The problem is when I'm trying to work my wife decides it's time for a ride and takes mule. So it's time to get her the cart back. It's stock cart. 6 new lead batteries would be at least half the cost of what Lipo4 is costing now. And with something like the epoch coming on the scene it would seem that drop in conversion would be fairly simple. I think it will be a short time line before someone upgrades epoch design and puts in cells that could be serviceable.

I've looked at LFP drop in but need to do a controller conversion first. If I already had a controller, I'd make the switch. Wife wanted something to use around the yard, I don't need a huge battery capacity but would like to improve efficiency.

What size trolling motor are you running? Seems your suggestion is save on the battery (within reason) and spend more on charger. As opposed to getting the powerurus with their economy charger. I was liking the phone app for battery state of charge but don't think it's worth the extra money.
Around 40 lb thrust with autopilot, boat is 17 foot Alumacraft. Mainly trolling for walleye. I do have a 9.9 Pro Kicker that I use if the wind gets too strong but I still run the trolling motor with the kicker to help steer in heavy wind trolling. I run 12V with the batteries in parallel. I may move up on the trolling motor in the future, my son has his linked to his Garmin's and I like that.

I was intending to build a pair of 280Ah but decided to use those cells in my house battery, the Zooms are reasonable, very little mods required for installation as they were close to the same size as the group 27's. The charger was a tossup, I wanted something where I could recharge quickly if I wanted when staying over a weekend or for more than just a few days. I can pull the boat with the truck camper so the bluetooth is handy to see how charging is progressing without leaving the camper.

I added a columb meter in the dash, there was an extra spot just the right size. It was a pain wiring it all in though as I need to mount the shunt and make new cables plus wire in the meter and charger. Always in a tight spot.

Yes the linked autopilot sounds awesome. Being able to follow contours when trolling has to be the bomb. I went all in on mg 52# with autopilot/gps and hds live with intent to network.

Last edited:
Can you describe your BMS Epoch uses. Is the 11 year warranty standard on all products? Is this prorated? What is the expected cycle life of the batteries? Excellent plug for your company here. Glad to see you are close to us. Thanks.
Glad to be here. Thanks for the feedback and questions.

Each of our BMS designs are model-specific / unique to the system they manage. Common features and protections among them include: CANBUS & Bluetooth communications, short circuit protection, overcharge/over-discharge protection, over-current protection, high / low temp protection, self-discharge management, and control for internal heating.

Our 11-year warranty applies to all of our current and upcoming models (unless otherwise specified). We handle warranty claims on a case-by-case basis. Simply put, we genuinely appreciate our customers and like to show strong support in return. In the event of an issue with any of our products (at any time), simply reach out to us and we’ll work with you to find the best resolution. Officially, per terms, we’ll repair or replace within the first 36 months and continue to do so at a prorated rated afterwards.

In life cycle testing (which is a bit more intensive than typical use), our current range has withstood testing in excess of 3,500 cycles and some upcoming models have demonstrated reliability in excess of 6,000 cycles.

Glad to be here. Thanks for the feedback and questions.

Each of our BMS designs are model-specific / unique to the system they manage. Common features and protections among them include: CANBUS & Bluetooth communications, short circuit protection, overcharge/over-discharge protection, over-current protection, high / low temp protection, self-discharge management, and control for internal heating.

Our 11-year warranty applies to all of our current and upcoming models (unless otherwise specified). We handle warranty claims on a case-by-case basis. Simply put, we genuinely appreciate our customers and like to show strong support in return. In the event of an issue with any of our products (at any time), simply reach out to us and we’ll work with you to find the best resolution. Officially, per terms, we’ll repair or replace within the first 36 months and continue to do so at a prorated rated afterwards.

In life cycle testing (which is a bit more intensive than typical use), our current range has withstood testing in excess of 3,500 cycles and some upcoming models have demonstrated reliability in excess of 6,000 cycles.
Thank you! This looks pretty solid.

Epoch

Does your warranty require an epoch charger?

If one buys epoch battery and charger does the charger get the same warranty as battery?

Any discounts or coupons you would like to offer us here at DIYSOLARFORUM?

Epoch

Does your warranty require an epoch charger?

If one buys epoch battery and charger does the charger get the same warranty as battery?

Any discounts or coupons you would like to offer us here at DIYSOLARFORUM?
Our chargers are covered by a 3-year full replacement warranty and although they are optimized for use with our batteries (and feature many of the same protections and ratings), using chargers from other brands will not compromise coverage. That said, we do strongly encourage our customers to ensure that their charger of choice is optimized for lithium chemistry and has an output of at least 5A.

Coupon code: DIYSOLAR has been activated for 10% savings applied to entire order.

I went to your website and it says: "

DESIGNED & ENGINEERED IN THE USA"​

Can you elaborate on this? Your battery seems to be exactly the same as the RoyPow but with a different name plate on your case (I'm guessing its an insert for the mold). What is different between this and the roypow

Back