diy solar

diy solar

RPS vs DIY?

AnthonyBattaglia

I am new here. I have a Navy Electronics Tech. background (which isn't much, lol) and my dad was an electrician who passed on a lot to me. I am currently planning to install an backup solar solution for my well pump (1hp, 425 feet deep about 60 feet from the house).

I am looking at RPS and the minimum system that would run the pump is right under $6K . For that price am I better off building one myself?

I am new here. I have a Navy Electronics Tech. background (which isn't much, lol) and my dad was an electrician who passed on a lot to me. I am currently planning to install an backup solar solution for my well pump (1hp, 425 feet deep about 60 feet from the house).

I am looking at RPS and the minimum system that would run the pump is right under $6K . For that price am I better off building one myself?

Yes. RPS charges a premium, and you won't have much flexibility, but it will be a nice automated system.

This beast:

has 18kW surge capability and provides 120/240VAC split phase using either 24V or 48V battery. Neighbor used it to drive his 3hp Grundfos 700' down (18A continuous run @ 240V).

Add 2kW panels for $1000
Add 7kWh batteries for $1500
Add MPPT for $500
Add misc for $500

That puts you at about 4500 for a very robust system that could do a lot more than just run your pump as backup.

Yes. RPS charges a premium, and you won't have much flexibility, but it will be a nice automated system.

This beast:

has 18kW surge capability and provides 120/240VAC split phase using either 24V or 48V battery. Neighbor used it to drive his 3hp Grundfos 700' down (18A continuous run @ 240V).

Add 2kW panels for $1000
Add MPPT for $500
Add misc for $500

That puts you at about 4500 for a very robust system that could do a lot more than just run your pump as backup.
Thank you for helping! I am going to confirm my inrush amps this week - just because, but the inverter you linked will definitely work.

In the rest of your equipment list would you mind telling me what brand / options you prefer (panels, batteries, charge controller) ? It will help me take the guess work out of reliability of brand names.

Thanks again!

Thank you for helping! I am going to confirm my inrush amps this week - just because, but the inverter you linked will definitely work.

In the rest of your equipment list would you mind telling me what brand / options you prefer (panels, batteries, charge controller) ? It will help me take the guess work out of reliability of brand names.

Thanks again!

Add 2kW panels for $1000

pretty easy to find panels for < $0.50/Watt

DIY LFP

Add MPPT for $500

Growatt MPPT

Add misc for $500

wires, fuses, bus bars, etc. No specific brands.

On ones like this if the pump is getting a little older (I have lots of different aged pumps!) I consider swapping it to 3 phase motor down the well so you are getting the most efficient pumping possible. Then you can do a regular AC VFD and give it single phase power (without the surge at startup) and run with more affordable inverters. But its also a lot of work to pull it lol. My understanding is that RPS just make an inverters/battery system for pumps only and so they have bigger coils then you need if you are using a VFD. just for single phase startup which sucks on almost any inverter I have tried. If you go the 3 phase route and use a 3 phase motor (there is a guy name John on this forum that knows a LOT about this) then you can give that 3 Phase power with a regular VFD or a solar one that allows both solar and AC. (but only solar when the sun is shining in a SHTF sorta situation) ... gotta get the batteries if you are doing it for non-daytime pumping convenience and not survival. I do mostly cattle water so I'm happy with just pumping when the sun is shining and filling tanks and then the pumps resting at night. Hope that helps in some way. Good luck!

Back