diy solar

Rubbing power lines: is it a problem?

Think this will be a problem?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yesterday the internet went out for several hours, seems to be have been something that happened in Miami. But, the outage map didn't show any problems so I called and they wasted my time with the usual hoopla and finally went to roll a truck... get this, 7 days wait. But when they scheduled the truck they somehow got a notification that service was down in my area... had to go through 4 calls just to get that far.

The reason it would take so long is because of Hurricane Ian, our local techs are loaned out to the more afflicted areas.

But, as I was looking for a possible line break I spotted the rubbing wires and sent them an email with photo above. They were out within 90 minutes. The guy blamed it on Comcast, apparently, they ran their wires to the new poll (yep, still not converted to the new pole) and pulled them taunt lifting my service line and didn't bother to notify anyone. So it's been like that for a few months.

They wrapped the service line with a "tree guard", apparently the reason they haven't transferred to the new pole is they're replacing the entire run with aluminum wire and it'll only be another couple of months until the transfer.

Can't be sure because the picture isn't clear, but looks more like a power line rubbing against a communication line, and since the coms line is probably fiber, no harm done.

Back