diy solar

Run mini split off solar

Alert
  • I’m new to solar
  • I don’t know what any item does
  • I’ve watched youtube videos and don’t know what they’re talking about
  • Explain things like I’m 10 years old
  • My location: southwest Florida
  • Why am I doing this project? So I have ac during power outage.
I bought this mini split:
MRCOOL DIY 24k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation - Energy Star 230v, 24,000 BTUs (DIY-24-HP-230B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R2XKTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y2ADQJ7E2YW3RKGW5Z5N
  • I want to run this one item off solar so when a south Florida hurricane causes power outage then I still have ac.
  • I live in a community and hoa won’t let me install solar on my roof so I’d like to use only one panel if possible.
  • I’d like to do this with easy all in one units
  • I prefer simplest units
  • If someone would offer to walk me through this 1 on 1 you can text me #941.237.0706 to be my guide
  • This is my first solar project
  • Be kind
Thanks.

How about lights and keeping the food in the fridge and freezer from going bad? Those are my priorities when the power goes out. Oh. and charging my phone. A single solar panel would not even do the above not to mention running an AC.

How about lights and keeping the food in the fridge and freezer from going bad? Those are my priorities when the power goes out. Oh. and charging my phone. A single solar panel would not even do the above not to mention running an AC.
Ok that’s no help. You’re not answer my question or being helpful you’re just saying stuff.

The answer is What you are asking for is physically impossibe. One panel cannot feed a large ac unit continuously.

Start with the watts. One panel makes 400ish watts, on a good day. The ac unit needs a lot more just to start.

You can pool up the energy in s battery, sure. But the can only run for a few minutes and you are back to square 1.

Thank you for that info.
How many panels do I need?
I’m gathering a shopping list of items.
If I knew what I needed then I can ask the Hoa for an approval.

[*]I live in a community and hoa won’t let me install solar on my roof so I’d like to use only one panel if possible.
Impossible unless you plan to almost never use it and then only use it until your battery is dead when the power is out.

Ok that’s no help. You’re not answer my question or being helpful you’re just saying stuff.
This is part of what you need when the power is out.

Do you not have lights or a refrigerator?

What you need is called an "energy audit" and if you can't at least do that, you're not going to be able to set up a solar system and troubleshoot it.

This video is a good starting point. You probably need at least 16 to 32 280 ah cell to make one or 2 48v batteries. Two all in one controller/inverters. You have to put the two together to get the 230v. Like Will you can buy a bunch of used panels from santan and ground mount them. I lived in Florida for a long time so I understand the value of a backup system like this. Expect to spend I don't know at least 10 grand to have a system that's going to be reliable in a power outage. You need a good bit of battery backup for storage on cloudy days. Not to mention to get you through the night. Take some time to watch through Will's videos you'll learn a lot. You can start out smaller something that won't power the AC but a nice little battery backup. I built basically his 4000 Watt system off of Will's website. On his website you will see really detailed pictures of designs and part lists. This website is very useful but keep in mind members aren't going to probably hold your hand the whole way. It's important that you take the time to do many many countless hours of research so you don't hurt yourself or burn down your house.

This video is a good starting point. You probably need at least 16 to 32 280 ah cell to make one or 2 48v batteries. Two all in one controller/inverters. You have to put the two together to get the 230v. Like Will you can buy a bunch of used panels from santan and ground mount them. I lived in Florida for a long time so I understand the value of a backup system like this. Expect to spend I don't know at least 10 grand to have a system that's going to be reliable in a power outage. You need a good bit of battery backup for storage on cloudy days. Not to mention to get you through the night. Take some time to watch through Will's videos you'll learn a lot. You can start out smaller something that won't power the AC but a nice little battery backup. I built basically his 4000 Watt system off of Will's website. On his website you will see really detailed pictures of designs and part lists. This website is very useful but keep in mind members aren't going to probably hold your hand the whole way. It's important that you take the time to do many many countless hours of research so you don't hurt yourself or burn down your house.

Good advice.
I’ll start viewing videos.
A Generac propane backup cost $12,000. I’m considering this as backup papers source.
Thanks.

Good advice.
I’ll start viewing videos.
A Generac propane backup cost $12,000. I’m considering this as backup papers source.
Thanks.
Why would that cost 12000 dollars??

Backup generators are only a few thousand dollars for a 20kw one, and a *large* propane tank is only a couple grand itself. That would power your entire home with ease.

Even better and much cheaper if you go with natural gas.

What size were you looking at/quoted lol

If you're only running AC on the thing you only need a few thousand watts.

Why would that cost 12000 dollars??

Backup generators are only a few thousand dollars for a 20kw one, and a *large* propane tank is only a couple grand itself. That would power your entire home with ease.

Even better and much cheaper if you go with natural gas.

What size were you looking at/quoted lol

If you're only running AC on the thing you only need a few thousand watts.
My quote from generac was 20k + when I lived in NoVA

Alert
  • I’m new to solar
  • I don’t know what any item does
  • I’ve watched youtube videos and don’t know what they’re talking about
  • Explain things like I’m 10 years old
  • My location: southwest Florida
  • Why am I doing this project? So I have ac during power outage.
I bought this mini split:
MRCOOL DIY 24k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation - Energy Star 230v, 24,000 BTUs (DIY-24-HP-230B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R2XKTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y2ADQJ7E2YW3RKGW5Z5N
  • I want to run this one item off solar so when a south Florida hurricane causes power outage then I still have ac.
  • I live in a community and hoa won’t let me install solar on my roof so I’d like to use only one panel if possible.
  • I’d like to do this with easy all in one units
  • I prefer simplest units
  • If someone would offer to walk me through this 1 on 1 you can text me #941.237.0706 to be my guide
  • This is my first solar project
  • Be kind
Thanks.
Ok, first, I would edit out your phone number… you will be on a TON of spam call lists if you don’t…

Second, most all in one units are 120V only, so be sure you get something that has 230V output…

Next, I would calculate the wattage of the unit and judge the hours of run time… south Florida… likely running 12 hours a day… make sure your battery capacity exceeds the watt hours needed for the runtime.

Edit-sorry short shot. Didn’t see your post.

Welcome to the forum.

Step 1-stop buying equipment.

The video is a good start. There is a lot to learn.

It’s going to be a bigger, and more complex system than you want. Not undoable, but you have a long way to go.

A cheaper, stand-alone, dual fuel generator, and 10 bbq size propane tanks may allow you to run during daylight hours for a couple of days. A bigger (couch sized) propane tank will last longer. A window unit would be easy to power with minimum fuss. Just plug it in to the generator which would be located outside. This generator could power a fridge as well. And a lamp. And a tv.

Nothing would need to be intermixed with your existing electric. And the propane has a long shelf life. May need to address the tank every 10 years.

e.g. This one. About $1000. Bigger than you need. But size according to your needs after you figure out watts. And note that starting the AC generally requires more watts than you think you need. Esp a window unit. If you run the generator for 2 hours every 3 months, keep up with the oil, and never, never put gasoline into it, it should last a long time.

Bottom line, a few thousand and you are set for as long as your propane holds out. A week wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect with a medium large propane tank. Probably sell your mr. cool and get the window unit for simplicity sake.

If you decide to go solar, great. But go in with your eyes open on the price delta for you single goal.

Best of luck.

Attachments

• DEF74239-08F1-476A-BD66-35B16A3E5C3D.jpeg
    DEF74239-08F1-476A-BD66-35B16A3E5C3D.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That is a seriously great price!!!!

Will you go to Kiowa island? I know a guy looking.
I install the 22KW model, I have 5 in stock last time I checked. Price goes up once they are gone… looks like they went up on the new stock, but I have 5 left.. of course, cable distance alters the price, as does gas line complexity. But basic, easy install, around $10K

Ok, first, I would edit out your phone number… you will be on a TON of spam call lists if you don’t…

Second, most all in one units are 120V only, so be sure you get something that has 230V output…

Next, I would calculate the wattage of the unit and judge the hours of run time… south Florida… likely running 12 hours a day… make sure your battery capacity exceeds the watt hours needed for the runtime.
>Tells people to edit out phone number.
>Quotes it.

What a guy.

Back