diy solar

diy solar

Running a dedicated circuit for charging Sogen in minivan

Hiker

Rather than using a cigarette lighter type plug to charge an Ecoflow, I'd like to run a dedicated circuit with a switch and replay. I'll be using 12 awg for the power from the battery with a 12 awg 30 amp inline fuse to a 4 pin 40/30 amp relay with a switch spliced from an ignition-on wire. The power wire will have a XT60 connector to fit the Ecoflow.

The Ecoflow car charger supports 12 VDC, 8 amps. The length of the wire will be around 10-12'

Are these specs going to be OK?

It seems like most relays found in parts stores and Amazon are similar to the one I'll be using

An online wire amp guide says to use 12 awg for 10 amps for the length of wire I'm using. I suppose I could use a 15 amp inline fuse. My number one concern is damaging the Ecoflow. Will the 40/30 amp relay affect the current to the Ecoflow, or will it just draw what it needs?

An online wire amp guide says to use 12 awg for 10 amps for the length of wire I'm using. I suppose I could use a 15 amp inline fuse. My number one concern is damaging the Ecoflow. Will the 40/30 amp relay affect the current to the Ecoflow, or will it just draw what it needs?

The insulation temperature of the wire determines its rating. IIRC, 12awg romex solid wire in a home is used for 20A circuits.

Relay ratings are for the current they can handle. They tend to consume very little.

Fuses/breakers are there to protect wiring. It's either a user doing something stupid and causing a short, or it's the equipment itself failing and causing excessive current. If the Ecoflow is damaged due to excessive current, it's because the Ecoflow faulted, and smaller fuses protect "better."

Since the load is only 8A, 8A * 1.25 = 10A fuse is sufficient.

The insulation temperature of the wire determines its rating. IIRC, 12awg romex solid wire in a home is used for 20A circuits.

Relay ratings are for the current they can handle. They tend to consume very little.

Fuses/breakers are there to protect wiring. It's either a user doing something stupid and causing a short, or it's the equipment itself failing and causing excessive current. If the Ecoflow is damaged due to excessive current, it's because the Ecoflow faulted, and smaller fuses protect "better."

Since the load is only 8A, 8A * 1.25 = 10A fuse is sufficient.

Thanks, that helps clarify some of the questions I have. The wire I intend on using is stranded. The size/amp guide I referred to is here.

Thanks, that helps clarify some of the questions I have. The wire I intend on using is stranded. The size/amp guide I referred to is here.

Ah... that's specifically for 12V systems w/less than 2% voltage drop. 10A makes sense in that context. At 120VAC/20A, 12awg has very little losses

Back