diy solar

diy solar

Running DC coupled and AC coupled grid tied storage systems together

pauls999

We are about to have a DC coupled battery system installed after we cancelled the Tesla powerwall 2 due to unkown delivery times and waiting over 7 months already for one to show.
The new system would use a Solis RHI-5K-48ES-5G 5kw hybrid invertor and 8 x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries giving us a total of 19.2kWh capacity and which is what Solis say's is the maxium can be connected to the invertor. Ideally we need about 35kWh capacity to carry us through a 24 hour period before we can recharge with off peak energy again in the winter when there is little solar.
After having a MyEnergi Zappi installed for our Nissan Leaf 2, the installer told me that Myenergi are releasing a AC coupled battery system of upto 20kWh in October which got me thinking if both could be used at the same time.
The main problem i can see is that when either system see's grid energy coming in it will swtich on and discharge its power to the house and as they are both independant systems that dont talk to each other they will both turn on at the same time. The only way I could see it working is if one system is turned off and the other turned on, when the active one had discharged its battery, it would be switched off allowing the other take over run power the house, then both would be recharged later. This would have to be a manual switch over until some form of automatic system could be rigged up.
Does any one see any problems with this?

Back