diy solar

diy solar

Running Large Inverters w/ Relays: Not a good idea? I have 3 alternative solutions

Hi Will,

Some relays are not rated for continuous duty

Buy a relay rated for purpose. They are more expensive. :)

Relay kickback issue, which can destroy BMS if no fly back diode

The good relays most of us use have back EMF suppression built in. They cost a little bit more. :)

Adds unnecessary complexity

I'm not sure this is true. Larger systems simply have higher complexity; there is no way around the physics.

Capacitive load issues. If relay is sized properly, it shouldn't be an issue. But you need to make sure that relay is huge.

Even with a huge relay, the inrush transients on large inverters can be so high as to make that expensive relay not last very long at all. Pre-charge circuitry is basically mandatory. It does not have to be expensive.

Increased idle consumption

IMHO the only acceptable DC power relays are ones with a dual-coil design. You do get what you pay for. :)

And FET based switching mechanisms, such as Battery Protect, have their own problems:

Absolutely. FET arrays large enough to handle the transients possible in a large system would be prohibitively expensive. Note that Battery Protect is an asymmetric gate, too: one of them cannot stop current in both an HVD and LVD event.

Using a high quality inverter with relay input. This way you will never need to worry about switching large currents. Use a BMS or other form of logic control system to control the inverter.

The large inverters I'm familiar with don't have a relay, they just have a digital control and they power down the transformer. They don't fully isolate themselves on the DC side. That means they may still apply a load. In a LVD scenario, you may still have an overdraw event in this scenario.

If they did have a power relay, it would have all the challenges you mentioned above, and building one correctly would cost about the same. :) Most buyers wouldn't want that expense forced on them; better to have the design flexibility to do it elsewhere in the circuit.

A system that depends on control circuitry in the inverter creates a dependency: that inverter becomes the single point of control. For systems with multiple loads and chargers, it can be impractical to offload the emergency disconnect responsibility onto the many devices on the bus.

Increase the voltage of your battery bank to reduce the current requirement of your inverter, then run a standard 100-300A BMS. A 100A 48v BMS is small and can easily power a 4500W inverter. A 300A 48V BMS is a bit larger, but can run a 13,500W inverter.

This is a good idea regardless of the other design concerns you've raised. 12V makes no sense in larger systems. But, I think this concern is mostly orthogonal to the other issues.

Run BMS in parallel. But! Not in a single bank. That can cause other problems. You will need to make multiple battery banks with their own BMS, then parallel the battery banks together for a larger current capacity.

FET-based BMSes potentially have the same design issues we discussed above with external FET gates. Transients could pose an issue.

On the other hand, dividing and conquering is often a great design strategy. It is not necessarily inexpensive, though! There is a lot of voodoo out there about running multiple managed lithium batteries in parallel. Most of it is either wrong or straightforward to design around.

On balance, I think quality dual-coil contactors are the best all-around design choice for large systems. In some corner cases, other approaches might make sense, but on average I think the alternatives bring too much compromise to the table.

I would argue that for the DIY audience on this forum using large relays to isolate the battery bank on fault or low/high cell voltage is the BEST way to go about it. I would even argue its the best way to go about it period - because simplicity is usually better and this is pretty simple.

Ooh, great minds think alike/post at the same time? :D

Hi Will,

Buy a relay rated for purpose. They are more expensive. :)

The good relays most of us use have back EMF suppression built in. They cost a little bit more. :)

I'm not sure this is true. Larger systems simply have higher complexity; there is no way around the physics.

Even with a huge relay, the inrush transients on large inverters can be so high as to make that expensive relay not last very long at all. Pre-charge circuitry is basically mandatory. It does not have to be expensive.

IMHO the only acceptable DC power relays are ones with a dual-coil design. You do get what you pay for. :)

Absolutely. FET arrays large enough to handle the transients possible in a large system would be prohibitively expensive. Note that Battery Protect is an asymmetric gate, too: one of them cannot stop current in both an HVD and LVD event.

The large inverters I'm familiar with don't have a relay, they just have a digital control and they power down the transformer. They don't fully isolate themselves on the DC side. That means they may still apply a load. In a LVD scenario, you may still have an overdraw event in this scenario.

If they did have a power relay, it would have all the challenges you mentioned above, and building one correctly would cost about the same. :) Most buyers wouldn't want that expense forced on them; better to have the design flexibility to do it elsewhere in the circuit.

A system that depends on control circuitry in the inverter creates a dependency: that inverter becomes the single point of control. For systems with multiple loads and chargers, it can be impractical to offload the emergency disconnect responsibility onto the many devices on the bus.

This is a good idea regardless of the other design concerns you've raised. 12V makes no sense in larger systems. But, I think this concern is mostly orthogonal to the other issues.

FET-based BMSes potentially have the same design issues we discussed above with external FET gates. Transients could pose an issue.

On the other hand, dividing and conquering is often a great design strategy. It is not necessarily inexpensive, though! There is a lot of voodoo out there about running multiple managed lithium batteries in parallel. Most of it is either wrong or straightforward to design around.

On balance, I think quality dual-coil contactors are the best all-around design choice for large systems. In some corner cases, other approaches might make sense, but on average I think the alternatives bring too much compromise to the table.
Can you provide a link to a few example relays that meet the requirements above?

Ive got this on on my cell cycling tester, it never gets warm even when pushing 250A through it. There is something like 500-600 cycles on it by now. BTW you absolutely HAVE to put a flyback diode on something this large. This example is $70 or so, I've seen others on Amazon for about $50.
Amazon link
6191n6iQ7XL._SL1001_.jpg
relay.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got this on on my cell cycling tester, it never gets warm even when pushing 250A through it. There is something like 500-600 cycles on it by now. BTW you absolutely HAVE to put a flyback diode on something this large. This example is $70 or so, I've seen others on Amazon for about $50.
Amazon link
View attachment 5512
View attachment 5514
@Maast
What size diode did you have on the big boy in picture above?

@Maast
What size diode did you have on the big boy in picture above?
It's a 5 amp schottky diode, 80v I think.

It doesnt need to be that big though, I just grabbed the first one my fingers touched in my diode bin. You could probably get away with a 40v diode, but I wouldnt go any lower in amps though.

Last edited:
BTW: I have seen some very disturbing comments form a few which border on the edge of wanton malice, almost as if they want things to fail or cause damage. I pull away and make no comment, not sure what to do , I don't need to be fighting with trolls and / or ding-a-lings, too old for that shyte.

I agree.
Between the guys berating the newbies for being beginners, which are wanting their accounts deleted, saw a couple more today...
To the guys that argue against fuses saying FUSES WILL BURN THINGS DOWN,
To Will's thread on contactor and not understanding what happens when a big contactor blows plasma melted copper jets all over the place...
There are 'Experts' that insist because *They* have never seen it or *They* don't understand it or haven't done it, it simply can not happen or doesn't work...
Even if the exact same application is working billions of times daily, and doing it with little issue in those applications.

*IF* you all would like, I can show you how millions of high amp DC wire relays & contactors, but I don't want to be berated, belittled, insulted, condescending comments, 'Moderated', etc.
This won't be 'Theory', it will be practical usage, common components used every day by every industrial machine/system, it's what actually works...

Attachments

• 72 V Solenoid Kit - Controller Sale.png
    72 V Solenoid Kit - Controller Sale.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Resistor48V.jpg
    Resistor48V.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 1579336147910.png
    1579336147910.png
    584 KB · Views: 52
*IF* you all would like, I can show you how millions of high amp DC wire relays & contactors

This won't be 'Theory', it will be practical usage, common components used every day by every industrial machine/system, it's what actually works...

I would certainly be interested in seeing what you have in mind

Amazon link
View attachment 5512
View attachment 5514

Can you better explain the "BTW you absolutely HAVE to put a flyback diode on something this large"?

Thanks. Newbie here.

Can you better explain the "BTW you absolutely HAVE to put a flyback diode on something this large"?
The short answer is because they produce bigger back-voltage spikes which can be up to 100v which can easily overcome the breakdown voltage of components in your electronics. You might get away with it for a few cycles, but you're degrading your equipment every time the relay deactivates.

The long answer is because relays that large are moving more mass internally to handle their rated current and so have larger coils to move that mass and larger springs to return that mass. More mass and more coils moving make bigger back-emf spikes.

I would argue that for the DIY audience on this forum using large relays to isolate the battery bank on fault or low/high cell voltage is the BEST way to go about it. I would even argue its the best way to go about it period - because simplicity is usually better and this is pretty simple.

HOWEVER you can NOT cheap out on components: As mentioned you have to use a continuous duty relay, and you have to oversize the relay by a factor of 2 or 3 and you have to have a flyback diode. None of this is particularly expensive.

The reason being that most of the people here are looking for a best-value solution and simply will not be willing to pay the extra for inverters that will interact with BMSs and you need cell-level monitoring. Furthermore if you start designing solutions around those inverters you get locked into a narrow (and expensive) range of solutions to talk to those inverters.

From a reliability standpoint, having large currents going through a external mechanical relay will greatly outperform large currents going through inexpensive BMS. A good relay thats properly sized for its application will last just about forever.

Also, you can greatly reduce the power requirements of a relay by using a resistor/capacitor circuit but thats getting a little complicated for here and a good quality relays doesnt use much power anyway - in fact you can judge the quality of a relay by how much power it uses and how hot it gets.
Ah yes the R C network. A peak and hold type relay is a similar way of dealing with lower power consumption.

Back