diy solar

diy solar

Running wires from roof arrays down to AC300 Solar Generator

mjgonsow

I have 2 small arrays on my roof (each array is 3 panels in series) and I'm running both of them into my AC300 inside the house. What would you recommend for running the wires from the roof to the inside? At the moment I'm contemplating drilling through the roof and dropping them through the attic w/proper flashing/conduit. My other thought was to run the wires through conduit or pipe down the roof and then up through the eve so I don't need to drill any holes in the roof. Also since this is plugging right into my Bluetti AC300, is it necessary to run any kind of ground wire to the roof rack with this type of setup?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

I am looking at doing the same type project for my EcoFlow Delta Pro with a few panels in series on the roof. I am also looking at another option using flex panels hung on a fence. Not sure which way I am going to go yet but will probably take the less expensive/less work route. Either way I am going to ground the panels. I found this web page with a "how to and why" from Renogy AU that I will use as a guide.

No roof penetration. If I do a roof or fence mount I am going to route the wires through the soffit under the eve, into the attic space and down into my garage where the Delta Pro will be located.

Last edited:
I would not put any holes into the roof. Roof penetrations are notorious for being a point of water leakage.

How are you guys securing the panels to the roof without penetrations?
Did you pull a permit?
I‘d like to install some BougeRV 200 watt panels on the roof and want to do it without any penetrations. I ordered the new tape down 200 watt panel which could be an option also but not sure it works well on shingles.

How are you guys securing the panels to the roof without penetrations?
Did you pull a permit?
I‘d like to install some BougeRV 200 watt panels on the roof and want to do it without any penetrations. I ordered the new tape down 200 watt panel which could be an option also but not sure it works well on shingles.
This is pretty much what I'm going to be doing minus running all the wires through the roof, I'm going to try and run them through the endcap on the ridge cap vent. Great video, though it requires penetrations for the mounting points.

Don't know what part of the world you live in but here in the UK pretty much every house has holes with cables in from sky tv dishes, these are pretty much redundant now so I ran some cables down the wall of the outside of the garage and took out the x2 sky cables and ran the pv cable through them, made sure I had enough length to hide the cable in the front room and to get to the solar generator and then added the MC4 connectors.

One thing I have thought about since doing it though is wouldn't it be great if I could move the solar generators to different parts of the house and just plug them in without having to move them back in range of the original placement or using the MC4 extension cable I made. Not a big issue but if I were going from the roof of the house instead of the garage I may consider running inside using trunking or even the wall cavity and add a second floor socket/junction option. more for convenience than anything else but I suppose it may come in handy if someone lived in a flood prone area.

I would also consider a solar pergola for the back yard attached to the house or close to it. I live in a tightly run HOA neighborhood and would be somewhat painful for me to go through the approval process as anything visible above the fence line would require HOA approval. Also my backyard is small and is not really conducive for a pergola of any size to accommodate enough solar panels for my needs.

Something similar to below as an example. Keeping it close to the house provides for easier routing of the power wires into the desired location. Mine would route around the side of the house and in through the garage attic area and then through the ceiling inside the garage.

I live in the US/Texas so this may not work for others.

1662655548245.png

Back