diy solar

diy solar

RV application: Bus Bars. Why?

TheBreeze

The Breeze
Some time back I was informed that wiring batteries in parallel is the 'old way'. The new way is to tie them to a bus bar. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the reason for using a bus bar in the following application. Space is tight. Cost and effort a consideration.

4-12v 100ah LifePO4 battery bank located under the entry steps: Two batteries can be loaded at a time, wired in parallel, wired forward for the next string, pushed to the rear and two more loaded, wired in parallel (max capacity - 4 batts). The two strings are tied together, connected to a 50A breaker that feeds a 12v distribution panel and a 2.5kw inverter/charger/ats w/300A breaker. Save charging for a different discussion.

Space is tight. I can mount a bus bar and run cables from batts to bar. The question is why? What am I buying myself by 'buying into' bus bar vs. the 'old way'?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Section 3 is about battery bank wiring
The 4 "best practice" methods are diagonal, post, halfway and busbar.
I don't think there anything approaching consensus on battery bank wiring.
I like to do a hybrid method between posts and busbars.
The whole core of the system is in parralel so I put the batteries in parralel along with the rest of the components.
That way discrete batteries can be removed with minimal impact on the rest of the system.

Section 3 is about battery bank wiring
The 4 "best practice" methods are diagonal, post, halfway and busbar.
I don't think there anything approaching consensus on battery bank wiring.
I like to do a hybrid method between posts and busbars.
The whole core of the system is in parralel so I put the batteries in parralel along with the rest of the components.
That way discrete batteries can be removed with minimal impact on the rest of the system.
Thank you for this. I will be put to good use. Enjoy Thanksgiving.

Back