diy solar

diy solar

RV DIY battery box: plywood vs acrylic vs FR4 vs something else?

biisty

Hi,
Plan is to build a battery box with 4x230Ah cells, JBD BMS, flex bus bars etc. to install into van conversion.

I see on the forum and youtube that mostly battery enclosures are build using plywood - probably the cheapest route.

What could be the reason to consoder alternative materials? Would using plastic alternatives add something from safety perspective?

Advice appreciated.

Nothing for safety. In fact, HDPE melts at 275*. The assumption is we're not going to have a fire. LOL

I have built a lot of stuff with wood - cabinets, boats, etc. and find the look and feel of starboard to be superior to plywood. Had I used the latter I would have used a high-grade hardwood veneered cabinet grade material with lots of plys - like 7 or 9 ply birch or maple. Just because it mills up nicely, you don't get voids and splits and the like. And my OCD would cause me to want to somehow seal it or paint it, even though my battery sits under the sofa in the RV.

So when I saw the Carson Van pack it really clicked with me - I loved the way it looked, and knew right away then that I wanted to use starboard instead of plywood.

Some of the other compression jigs use quarter inch plate aluminum end plates and they look really nice too. I just don't like the idea of all that conductive metal around a battery. Same with the welded steel setups - and then there's the battery-fire thread with the bus. My biggest fear with this technology is the amount of energy these cells store - let out uncontrolled and it's a recipe for disaster.

And then there's the whole 'do I compress or not' discussion on prismatic cells. Some manufactures rate their number of cycles higher when the cells are compressed - not allowing them to puff. And then there's the distortion of the terminals being pulled by rigid connecting bus bars should the pack puff and expand. So you see most packs with some kind of compression setup.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents, having just gone thru the same quandary. ;)

I had 3/4" plywood already on hand and I'm good working with it, so that's what I went with. I'm not making something for production, so it has be functional and not look completely stupid.

It's fairly easy to attach stuff (cables, thermostat, BMS) to plywood.

I used the furniture grade ply, relatively inexpensive for what it is. Easy to work with a fine for inside use as these batteries are not flame throwers.
WARNING....16 230ah batteries are holy shit fucking heavy LOL

what about puting the bank into some decent sized container and pour it with concrete mixed with fibers?

or another idea:

spray the container with constuction foam? is pretty strong...

why mess with studs and nuts

You could get just as creative with one of these boxes. Some like plywood, some like plastic and some just want something simple. I have some of these boxes if interested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-200725_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-200725_Gallery.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 35
what about puting the bank into some decent sized container and pour it with concrete mixed with fibers?

or another idea:

spray the container with constuction foam? is pretty strong...

why mess with studs and nuts

Removable in case you need to disassemble the pack for some reason.
You could get just as creative with one of these boxes. Some like plywood, some like plastic and some just want something simple. I have some of these boxes if interested.
Those retail for near $100. (y)

Removable in case you need to disassemble the pack for some reason.

Those retail for near $100. (y)
That's what I sell them for $100 shipped in the USA. There nice boxes. They work great if you want it water proof.

don't need any right now, but possibly in the near future. How do I find a price and order?

If you’re patient and use alibaba, boxes are $25 + shipping.

If you’re patient and use alibaba, boxes are $25 + shipping.
Yes, you are right. The cost is in the shipping. If you were to by 1 box it would cost you almost $100 total for the box to get it to your door. I had to buy 30 boxes to be able to match the price on aliexpress and alibaba. Alibaba is a little cheaper than ali but not buy much.

alibaba is a big place. link?
All you have to do is search

“4s 280ah Battery Box” and several pop up.

After assembling out of plywood, if the shipping is not too much, I would want the pre made ABS plastic.

After assembling out of plywood, if the shipping is not too much, I would want the pre made ABS plastic.
This is a quote from basen on alibaba. $95 to your door and 50 days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-064334_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-064334_Alibabacom.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 7

so... in other words... you have not bought any :rolleyes:

Back