diy solar

diy solar

Rv hook up

New question if I use a 24 volt battery. Can I hook up a DC to DC converter at the battery for 24 to 12 volt power? Will the leads from the converter be too small to carry the current to the 12dc distribution panel? The all in one 12 volt unit only has a 1k watt inverter. I need about 2000 watts. The LV2424 has the inverter size im looking for.

New question if I use a 24 volt battery. Can I hook up a DC to DC converter at the battery for 24 to 12 volt power? Will the leads from the converter be too small to carry the current to the 12dc distribution panel? The all in one 12 volt unit only has a 1k watt inverter. I need about 2000 watts. The LV2424 has the inverter size im looking for.
Depends on the converter, wire and the distances on the input and output side.
Get a dc2dc converter with the same amp rating as the converter in the ac/dc distribution center and locate it as close to the ac/dc distribution center as possible.
If you provide the details we can help with the wire size and fuses.

im trying to go from the batteries 24v to the 12 volt dc distribution about 8 feet. Right now there is 12v batteries with i think is 6awg, car battery size wire, going from the batts to the dc panel. I found a dc to dc converter that is rated to do 24V Step Down to DC 12V 30A 360W. I have replaced all the light with LEDs from the crap incandescent bulbs.

im trying to go from the batteries 24v to the 12 volt dc distribution about 8 feet.
Got it, 16 feet round trip.
Right now there is 12v batteries with i think is 6awg, car battery size wire, going from the batts to the dc panel. I found a dc to dc converter that is rated to do 24V Step Down to DC 12V 30A 360W. I have replaced all the light with LEDs from the crap incandescent bulbs.
Does it look like this?
If yes, probably wise to beef up the rating or get a better converter.
Is that the amp rating on the converter in the ac/dc distribution center?

I think you are asking is you can use the existing 6 awg wire.
Yes that is fine to use on both the input and output side.
Assuming the wire insulation is rated for 105C you can use a 100 amp fuse and close to the positive system busbar as possible.
No fuse is required on the output side.

Remember to disable the ac2dc converter in in the distribution panel.

Yes that is the unit im looking at. The ac2dc converter is disabled in the panel. The panel is rated at 30A. Would I need a busbar to from the 6awg to the looks like the 10-12g wire or is there a different method?

Yes that is the unit im looking at. The ac2dc converter is disabled in the panel. The panel is rated at 30A. Would I need a busbar to from the 6awg to the looks like the 10-12g wire or is there a different method?
We have not talked about the topology of the rest of the system.
I wasn't thinking about the fact that the unit comes with wires instead of screw terminals.
Honestly those units are pretty crappy and I don't recommend them.
But if you want to use one I suggest you connect it to the new system with 10 awg wire and wago 221-612 lever nuts.
Use 10 awg on both sides.
Transitioning down from 6 awg to 12 awg will be a pain.

Don't forget to put a fuse or breaker in front of the converter.
Hi,

I know this is an older post, but if the converter was wired into a 15 amp breaker, is putting a 15 amp fuse inside the transfer switch (before the wires for the converter are connected) ok? What type of fuse (120V) should be used.

Thank you

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but if the converter was wired into a 15 amp breaker, is putting a 15 amp fuse inside the transfer switch (before the wires for the converter are connected) ok? What type of fuse (120V) should be used.

Thank you
As long as the converter uses 14 awg wire or thicker the upstream breaker will protect it.

As long as the converter uses 14 awg wire or thicker the upstream breaker will protect it.
Sorry..Maybe I'm a bit confused...and to make sure I understand.

I'm removing the converter postive and negative wire (which are 14AWG) from the WFCO power center (that goes to the breaker) and wiring it directly to the transfer switch. The breaker is no longer in line. Which up stream breaker. ?

tks

Sorry..Maybe I'm a bit confused...and to make sure I understand.

I'm removing the converter postive and negative wire (which are 14AWG) from the WFCO power center (that goes to the breaker) and wiring it directly to the transfer switch. The breaker is no longer in line. Which up stream breaker. ?

tks
I understood from your post that there was 15 amp breaker upstream from the transfer switch.
What is the rating on the upstream breaker?

Hi, Here is how the transfer switch is wired. It show a fuse, but not the size. The wires 120V wires that went to the charger was on a 15 amp breaker.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 125833.jpg

Hi, Here is how the transfer switch is wired. It show a fuse, but not the size. The wires 120V wires that went to the charger was on a 15 amp breaker.

View attachment 129931
That breaker sees to be for a 12 volt relay.

Typically the ac wire into the transfer switch is 10 awg and the breaker at the pedestal is 30 amps.
Since you are tapping the input side of the transfer switch with 14 awg wire you need a 15 amp fuse to protect the 14 awg wire.

That breaker sees to be for a 12 volt relay.

Typically the ac wire into the transfer switch is 10 awg and the breaker at the pedestal is 30 amps.
Since you are tapping the input side of the transfer switch with 14 awg wire you need a 15 amp fuse to protect the 14 awg wire.
thank you...Appreciate the help to make sure I do it right. This type of fuse is the right kind...correct?

Screenshot 2023-01-16 131548.jpg

If that wire is pure copper 14 awg with insulation rated for 60C or greater, yes.
I suspect its fine stranded wire so don't use a wire nut.
Wago 221-412 lever nuts make for a nice job.

Back