diy solar

diy solar

Rv inverter isolation switch 30a grounding issues

Bobert

Solar Enthusiast
I am planning to use this switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088PM9MRF
I want to isolate my inverter in order to perform maintenance on my all in one inverter and batteries while still being able to power the coach of my rv from shore power. My system setup is as follows 30amp rv shore power input connected through a powmr all in one inverter 48v 3500watt it is the “upgraded” version that has a dedicated ground s for the line in and out connections. I can switch the hot and neutral this way no problem so that in position 1 the power goes to the inverter and back from the inverter to the breaker box and in position 2 have shore power connected directly to the breaker box with both lines “dead” going into and out of the inverter. The problem I am running into is trying to avoid having a second ground to neutral bond. If I just tie all the grounds together I could potentially have a situation where if I am connected to shore power and the power goes out the ground could be bonded at the inverter as well as the incoming but dead shore power. I guess I am going to have to test the inverter to see if it bonds neutral to ground while it is inverting. I have no way of finding this out otherwise as the documentation that comes with this inverter is for the older version that only has one ground for the line input and output. Does anyone have any thoughts or questions about this issue?

I am planning to use this switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088PM9MRF
I want to isolate my inverter in order to perform maintenance on my all in one inverter and batteries while still being able to power the coach of my rv from shore power. My system setup is as follows 30amp rv shore power input connected through a powmr all in one inverter 48v 3500watt it is the “upgraded” version that has a dedicated ground s for the line in and out connections. I can switch the hot and neutral this way no problem so that in position 1 the power goes to the inverter and back from the inverter to the breaker box and in position 2 have shore power connected directly to the breaker box with both lines “dead” going into and out of the inverter. The problem I am running into is trying to avoid having a second ground to neutral bond. If I just tie all the grounds together I could potentially have a situation where if I am connected to shore power and the power goes out the ground could be bonded at the inverter as well as the incoming but dead shore power. I guess I am going to have to test the inverter to see if it bonds neutral to ground while it is inverting. I have no way of finding this out otherwise as the documentation that comes with this inverter is for the older version that only has one ground for the line input and output. Does anyone have any thoughts or questions about this issue?
I tested the inverter an hour ago and it has a floating neutral regardless of if it is powering the coach from the inverter or pass through. So my grounding is a nonissue just leave the grounds un switched and combined in the switch box.

setup is as follows 30amp rv shore power input connected through a powmr all in one inverter 48v 3500watt it is the “upgraded” version that has a dedicated ground s for the line in and out connections.
What is the DC rating for this switch?

If I use a ten-percent rule (imho a guess) for derating AC to DC that makes it good for only 6.3A

There’s similar but more money switches rated for DC switching

What is the DC rating for this switch?

If I use a ten-percent rule (imho a guess) for derating AC to DC that makes it good for only 6.3A

There’s similar but more money switches rated for DC switching
Good point, however I am switching ac the incoming shore power and ac output of the all in one inverter charger. The batteries and PV have their own independent breakers. The dc system of the coach is oem configuration except for an upgraded ac to dc converter/charger. The inverter functions as a onboard solar generator. I am simply attempting to bypass the ac current to and from this “generator” so the camper can be used normally when I have shore power without me having to have wire nutted live wires in my work area and extended ac power interruption while unwiring and wiring. Even if this was a dc circuit I could probably get away with it as proper shutdown procedure results in bypass after the inverter is shut off. In fact the only circuit tha might be switched with a load is the PV and If I needed to I could shut down the load to that before flipping the breaker.

Back