diy solar

diy solar

RV Low Voltage Electrical Standard, ANSI_RVIA Standard for Low Voltage Systems

RandyP

Solar Enthusiast
Anyone know of a way to view this standard for free ?

You can buy a copy of
ANSI_RVIA Standard for Low Voltage Systems 2018 Edition
at :
Product - Community Hub
Description@copy, RVIA, 16 pp.: Technical reference for use by manufacturers of conversion and recreational vehicles. Establishes the minimum installation requirements of the American National Standards Institute for the installation of low voltage systems in conversion and recreational vehicles. Highly technical. Recreational vehicle members of RVIA are required to comply to this standard.
$45 + shipping + tax
I have a copy on order

Curious to hear what your thoughts are after you receive it

A well written standard for <=24v dc electrical systems in conversion & rv. Easy to understand as standards go. Answered some of my questions. Only 16 pages. I'm glad I have it.
copyright all rights reserved.

RVIA-C is a communications spec. Not a standard for low voltage RV wiring.

RVIA-C is a communications spec. Not a standard for low voltage RV wiring.
You are correct. I am going to get a copy, too. It will be handy to know how it was suppose to be installed.

If the LV devices are networked, RV-C is the canbus protocol that should be implemented.

Is RV-C the protocol Victron uses ?

Probably not

The standards Victron uses for Victron to Victron communications are:
VE.Direct
VE.Can
VE.Bus

More info here

Its possible that the RV-C and VE.Can protocols might play nice together, they are both based on CANBUS but Victron doesn't explicitly mention it. They do state that it is based on NMEA2000 (marine standard) and J1939 (automotove standard). VE.Can is the protocol Victron reccomends for third party device communication with Victron products.

Back