diy solar

diy solar

Rv project for a new guy..

My flexible solar panels were literally 1/8 of an inch thick, super thin plastic that you can roll up into a tube if you wanted. If you pick them up they droop like crazy. Pretty sure I broke a few cells as I heard a few crunches while taking them out of the box.

From what I read, black panels on a solid surface will lead to the panels overheating and the plastic will delaminate within a year or 2. The airgap gives them a bit of cooling

My panels are on a curvy roof. The signboard is flexible too so they sorta bend with the roof. VHB tape is ridiculously strong, you technically only need like 8-10 inches of contact to keep them on the roof. I lined the front, back and sides with tape and they haven't budged.
I'll be shocked if these are 1/32. If I can find my micrometer, I'll see.

My flexible solar panels were literally 1/8 of an inch thick, super thin plastic that you can roll up into a tube if you wanted. If you pick them up they droop like crazy. Pretty sure I broke a few cells as I heard a few crunches while taking them out of the box.

From what I read, black panels on a solid surface will lead to the panels overheating and the plastic will delaminate within a year or 2. The airgap gives them a bit of cooling

My panels are on a curvy roof. The signboard is flexible too so they sorta bend with the roof. VHB tape is ridiculously strong, you technically only need like 8-10 inches of contact to keep them on the roof. I lined the front, back and sides with tape and they haven't budged.
The edge is thinner, at about 1/32, but the panel itself tapers up to just shy of 1/16.

The edge is thinner, at about 1/32, but the panel itself tapers up to just shy of 1/16.
Dang that's thin. Be Careful handling them, I left mine inside of the cardboard boxes because they are so floppy.

I bought my flexible panels with the expectation they will only last 2-5 years at the longest. Its nice for my van setup or non flat roofs, but damn those panels do not age well.

Dang that's thin. Be Careful handling them, I left mine inside of the cardboard boxes because they are so floppy.

I bought my flexible panels with the expectation they will only last 2-5 years at the longest. Its nice for my van setup or non flat roofs, but damn those panels do not age well.
These have a 10 year "garantee". Of course I don't really believe that, but who knows. These are applied directly to factory roofs by the acre... Go to their site and look around. Pretty neat stuff.

Axle breaking: 300# over rating? Ain’t gonna happen. Keep your bearings maintained. No problemo. The axles won’t know.

Axle breaking: 300# over rating? Ain’t gonna happen. Keep your bearings maintained. No problemo. The axles won’t know.

You really should try to use the plastic signboard / cardboard. I have them under my flexible solar panels and it makes a world of difference.

I cut the signboard to size, used silka flex to attatch the signboard to the panels. Then I used a 2 inch wide 3m VHB and taped the top of the panel down to the roof. EG the signboard was sandwiched in between. Use a mineral spirit or similar cleanar and VHB will stay on forever. Going on 2 years now without issue.

If you don't use signboard your panels will overheat and start delaminating within 1 year. Yes its annoying but your throwing your money away without it.
I may have fallen into an answer today. On a service call, I spotted several sheets of the sign board you guys use leaning against the building. I looked it over, and it's the same stuff, save one detail. The sides are aluminum, not plastic. The corrugations are the same plastic, but both sides are aluminum. After asking at the office, I was given 9 1/2, 4x8 sheets. Though I will be making a donation the the FFA club that uses the shop. Some sheets are a little banged up, but it all should work...

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_194014.jpg
    IMG_20210719_194014.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210719_194048.jpg
    IMG_20210719_194048.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 7
The corrugated Plastic I used under my solar panels looked like this:

1626744135655.png
The one you picked up still seems to have paper on the inside, which if true, would disintegrate in water.

That is not paper. Its sign face material, and plastic. If its going to disintegrate, it better get started, it been outside in the rain for months. And water poured out of the corrigations as we loaded them...

i would ditch the flexible panels the rest of your stuff is a great start.
those panels will be glued up there and start losing output and die sooner than you think then your best way to remove is to get a new epdm roof , pain in the behind. sell those, or use for a home based project or maybe carry them and put them out as accessory panels, I run 600 watts of flat panels on our rv and have 2 100watt "suitcase" panels that can be used if rv is parked in the shade but want to just keep batterys topped up/tv fans etc. Have 60 feet of cable to get them in the right spots

i would ditch the flexible panels the rest of your stuff is a great start.
those panels will be glued up there and start losing output and die sooner than you think then your best way to remove is to get a new epdm roof , pain in the behind. sell those, or use for a home based project or maybe carry them and put them out as accessory panels, I run 600 watts of flat panels on our rv and have 2 100watt "suitcase" panels that can be used if rv is parked in the shade but want to just keep batterys topped up/tv fans etc. Have 60 feet of cable to get them in the right spots
Thanks. But it ain't happening.

wow , 500lbs is nothing thats horrible, maybe mount your batterys in your tow righ? how big is your water tank, maybe bring 10-15 less gallons of water and get some hard panels.

The tank is smallish at 45 gal now. And the wife isn't good at conservation. I'm going to mount the panels with the sign backers I found, with less than permanent adhesive. Probably silicone. If it costs me a membrane down the road I'm OK with it. "I know a guy".

Then your good , thats the downside is having useless panels up there when they degrade, which ive seen on many boats in 1 or 2 seasons. probably try to park in the shade will extend their life, i think they overheat is usually what kills them.

I'm hoping the aluminium backer with help. But these are cigs panels, and have a 10 year warranty. If they make half of that I probably won't even have this camper anymore. I expect the rv bubble to crash pretty soon. And I think there'll be tons of deals to be had. But if not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

That is not paper. Its sign face material, and plastic. If its going to disintegrate, it better get started, it been outside in the rain for months. And water poured out of the corrigations as we loaded them...
“Sign face material”
HDF. MDF. Fiberboard.

Inless it’s resin and glass (not HDF air cell) it might not be a good idea. Those are expensive and you got them for free so my assumption is they felt them devalued. You’ve got the tires. I’d just do it right and you have a 25 year lifespan. The axle - unless you’re planning 50mph on rough roads- won’t know if you weigh 3-5% over 5K per axle. My opinion anyway.

I'm hoping the aluminium backer with help. But these are cigs panels, and have a 10 year warranty. If they make half of that I probably won't even have this camper anymore. I expect the rv bubble to crash pretty soon. And I think there'll be tons of deals to be had. But if not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
VHB tape is still the best in my opinion. This is what I bought, 5952 is the best for plastic to paint adhesion. Still holding strong after a year. Removal is only through physical means, but I'd rather scrape 3-4 feet of tape with a razor scraper than 8-10sqft of silicon caulking.

VHB tape is still the best in my opinion. This is what I bought, 5952 is the best for plastic to paint adhesion. Still holding strong after a year. Removal is only through physical means, but I'd rather scrape 3-4 feet of tape with a razor scraper than 8-10sqft of silicon caulking.
That's a distinct possiblity. Vhb under the aluminium. And adhesive under the panel. It gives 2 chances to get it off..

That's a distinct possiblity. Vhb under the aluminium. And adhesive under the panel. It gives 2 chances to get it off..
That's what I did. I didn't realize you mean the aluminum sign board. Go heavy on that caulking. I attached my flexibles to sign board with sikaflex, the edges didn't have enough are started to peel away. I had to tape over the solar panel edges to keep them from catching wind while driving.

Back