diy solar

diy solar

RV resale with custom/DIY setup

memilanuk

I'm curious... how many people here have bought and/or sold RVs with a customized solar and/or electrical system? I'm guessing not everyone who does electrical upgrades to their rigs, to whatever extent, keeps that same RV forever and ever, til death do you part ;)

Did you get your money's worth out of the upgrades?

Did you have people trying to low-ball their offers because it was a 'DIY' system?

Did you have potential buyers walk away because of the components used i.e. some DIY/hacked-together control system, like using an RPi running Venus OS vs. an actual Victron Cerbo GX?

I've never seen an RV that wasn't customized to some extent by the previous owners, we've certainly made ours work for us.

You will never get what you paid for out of modifications, but as long as you aren't changing things to the extent that you limit the pool of buyers, OR make it so complicated that no-one can figure out how to use/maintain it, you should be fine.

I've paid less in the past when it was obvious that the Tires/Batteries, etc. needed to be replaced. As an example, our most recent coach purchase included some $$ off for the age of the tires, but I didn't think I'd need to change the batteries or I'd have asked for more.

If you are going to DIY your pack, make sure it looks as professional and clean as possible so potential buyers don't see it as a science project. We looked at some REALLY nice coaches that had some very questionable updates and maintenance that make them much less attractive to us than the ones that were grade A maintained. I refused to buy someone else's project AND pay top dollar

Like adding chrome wheels and fancy exhaust to your hot rod, you rarely if ever get your money back from upgrades, might as well pull it all out. Now granted if it was another enthusiast like someone from here, they may appreciate all your hard work but highly unlikely that's your main target audience. I doubt I'd ever buy someones upgraded system just out of trust alone, who knows the quality of the install etc.... It would have to be a pretty pro looking install to have anyone put faith in it and even then it's a niche market. Just my 2 cents...

I've never seen an RV that wasn't customized to some extent by the previous owners, we've certainly made ours work for us.

You will never get what you paid for out of modifications, but as long as you aren't changing things to the extent that you limit the pool of buyers, OR make it so complicated that no-one can figure out how to use/maintain it, you should be fine.

I've paid less in the past when it was obvious that the Tires/Batteries, etc. needed to be replaced. As an example, our most recent coach purchase included some $$ off for the age of the tires, but I didn't think I'd need to change the batteries or I'd have asked for more.

If you are going to DIY your pack, make sure it looks as professional and clean as possible so potential buyers don't see it as a science project. We looked at some REALLY nice coaches that had some very questionable updates and maintenance that make them much less attractive to us than the ones that were grade A maintained. I refused to buy someone else's project AND pay top dollar
LOL, we both wrote pretty much the exact same thing at the exact same time. :)

Did you have people trying to low-ball their offers because it was a 'DIY' system?
Everything I’ve wired for others is beautiful to look at. Sometimes I do that for myself, too.
Not the current system but it’s mostly safe LOL

Anybody that installs anything should know enough to assemble it beautiful. If I’m selling something with an auxiliary power system and somebody lowballs me? They either think I’m a chump or ignorant. Or both. They can move along time

This is my thought as well.
My plan was to use our RV of 5-7 years, heavily modified and then get a new one. We're so heavily modified and in love with our modifications, here we are 11 years and counting.

For liability sake, i plan on removing my DIY 2P4S 206Ah battery, the Victron 100/30, patched in inverter, and anything else that a naive person might not be able to use. Putting in 2x Costco Interstate batteries at <$200 is a no brainer. I will leave the 2 big panels and wiring to the battery compartment. I'd never get anywhere what i have into it money-wise and its certainly going to last well into the lifespan of my next RV.

EDIT: ah the pic remained from my since deleted comment from 12VoltInstalls "mostly safe" installs. Referring to "mostly peaceful" of course.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.03.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.03.38 PM.png
    921.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This is my thought as well.
My plan was to use our RV of 5-7 years, heavily modified and then get a new one. We're so heavily modified and in love with our modifications, here we are 11 years and counting.

For liability sake, i plan on removing my DIY 2P4S 206Ah battery, the Victron 100/30, patched in inverter, and anything else that a naive person might not be able to use. Putting in 2x Costco Interstate batteries at <$200 is a no brainer. I will leave the 2 big panels and wiring to the battery compartment. I'd never get anywhere what i have into it money-wise and its certainly going to last well into the lifespan of my next RV.

EDIT: ah the pic remained from my since deleted comment from 12VoltInstalls "mostly safe" installs. Referring to "mostly peaceful" of course.
Mr S, Given the rash of liability lawsuits, your practice of removing electrical improvements is an excellent idea. Plus, I agree that you should generally not expect to get back what you have added to an RV or vehicle. A house is another story.

Last edited:
h the pic remained from my since deleted comment from 12VoltInstalls "mostly safe" installs. Referring to "mostly peaceful" of course
Well actually I was being humorous. Facetious.

I’m safe just not very pretty as what I’ve ‘upgraded’ to over the last year was temporary with permanent intent. I knew at some point I’d be pulling it all out to do some structural/cosmetic/esthetic repairs and then reinstalling pretty.

I guess it depends on the market in your area but the RV market is crazy hot and people are obsessed with solar where I live. I sold a trailer that I installed solar on for about $1000 more than I paid for the trailer and solar equipment combined. It took all of about 1 hour on craigslist to sell and I got calls for says. I think I under priced it.

I guess it depends on the market in your area but the RV market is crazy hot and people are obsessed with solar where I live. I sold a trailer that I installed solar on for about $1000 more than I paid for the trailer and solar equipment combined. It took all of about 1 hour on craigslist to sell and I got calls for says. I think I under priced it.
Where do you live? A recent blip said that there were over 7,000 new 2020-2022 RVs on dealer lots in SW Idaho. New 2021s are selling for 30%+ off initial price.

I've put so much time, effort and money into my trailer that there is no way I would ever get out what I've put into it. I'm OK with that. I'm speaking about more than just PV/LiFePO4. It's my experimental trailer. I'm getting my technique right on this one so that the next one is either right, out of the box, or I know exactly how to upgrade it to fit my needs.

I created my PV/LiFePO4 system to be pretty much idiot-proof. To encourage my wife to go camping, she doesn't have to know anything about the system. She can do what she wants in the trailer. The trailer will take care of itself. There is a lot in my system, but it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to show a new owner how to maintain it. A system with a bunch of off-brand, no-name components is one that I would be unlikely to pay extra for. "Oh, you have Renogy equipment? I'll pass. Next!"

Where do you live? A recent blip said that there were over 7,000 new 2020-2022 RVs on dealer lots in SW Idaho. New 2021s are selling for 30%+ off initial price.
Im in Cali, we bought our Momentum in August of 2020 for 22% off MSRP, they called me back 6 months later and asked to purchase it back for MSRP because they couldn't get inventory. Unfortunately I was living in it and had nowhere else to go so.... I still have it lol.

I'm in the same boat with my RV. I went way big, and its way too confusing for any regular Joe to figure out. But I fully intend to remove the inverters/battery and install in my home. Then install a simple and small inverter/battery system (like some 6v costco batteries mentioned above)

I live in northern California. Pay no attention to what the news and ads say, go into a dealership and see for yourself what it will cost to get anything out the door. You may be surprised (or shocked). I would never buy an RV from a dealer FWIW...

I have had several RVs/campers/toy haulers over the last 20 years, and from what I have seen of the ones being made since covid I will never own another one. I just sold the toy hauler I bought 1 year ago, because I was tired of fixing it, and am having a custom cargo trailer built for a great deal less than you can touch an RV with a bit of sweat equity. I took all the solar off before I sold, got almost as much as I paid, and probably could have got more if I held out for a while, but I wanted the piece of junk gone.

RVs have never been built really well, but I am surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against RV manufacturers for the garbage they have been putting out the last couple years and still charging a premium for. I have advised all my friends to look for an older RV if they are in the market, or better yet get a cargo trailer and convert it yourself.

against RV manufacturers for the garbage they have been putting out the last couple years and still charging a premium for
Uggh. I can’t believe the stuff people buy.
I have a ?1978? Dutch Craft (no, not Dutchman) that is the second one I’ve owned from that manufacturer. The latest is very well insulated, strong floors, aluminum belly, big usable shower…

Cargo trailers ordered with a “high ceiling” and no interior sheathing are definitely an advantage for creating an RV even with the disadvantage of their low underside height for wastewater tanks. The most annoying cumulative cost is foam insulation!

even with the disadvantage of their low underside height for wastewater tanks.
When I ordered my cargo trailer in late 2019 I was worried about the poor ground clearance of all of the trailers I had seen. The axles were only a few inches off of the ground. At the time I was thinking about taking the trailer down some dirt roads into more remote areas. The solution was to order the trailer with torsion axles set at an angle that provides much more ground clearance. A major bonus of this is also providing enough height to mount wastewater tanks under the trailer. I found a long narrow tank that fit between two of the crossbeams which also helped keep the tank well off of the ground.

I have had several RVs/campers/toy haulers over the last 20 years, and from what I have seen of the ones being made since covid I will never own another one. I just sold the toy hauler I bought 1 year ago, because I was tired of fixing it, and am having a custom cargo trailer built for a great deal less than you can touch an RV with a bit of sweat equity. I took all the solar off before I sold, got almost as much as I paid, and probably could have got more if I held out for a while, but I wanted the piece of junk gone.

RVs have never been built really well, but I am surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against RV manufacturers for the garbage they have been putting out the last couple years and still charging a premium for. I have advised all my friends to look for an older RV if they are in the market, or better yet get a cargo trailer and convert it yourself.
Exactly, RV quality is nothing to brag about. I shop around for a used one with an extended warranty.

Price is the Price, unless they somehow have qualifications to make educated value of something I would tell anyone to pound sand.
Ive waited 2-3 months to sell cargo trailers with insane lowball offers and then i had someone check it out for 5 min to say ok done.

I would post 2 Prices.
1 With solar, 1 Without Solar.
With solar= Product+15%. +Labour.

I would post 2 Prices.
1 With solar, 1 Without Solar.
With solar= Product+15%. +Labour.
I wouldn’t even bring that up as that’s assigning value in the buyer’s mind.
Price is the Price,
That’s what I’d stand on. You’re selling something; don’t shortchange yourself by downplaying the value to influence somebody buying on price or buying without knowledge- the knowledgeable buyer will be able to assess the value to them; the unknowledgeable just needs to shown the value. If they don’t like the camper because it has stuff they can’t or don’t know how to use they can buy yours or buy something else.
I just politely walk away from lowballing people.

Back