diy solar

diy solar

RV resale with custom/DIY setup

I bought a 30 ft "park model" (it's actually the bunk bed version of the park model with less bells and whistles, one model down. I use the bunk beds as heavy duty shelves.) Model something year 2001 for $4,000 on co parts website with roof damage. I couldn't find any roof damage until I got inside and it looks like a small tree crashed into it. People buy RVs, get insurance, baby them and then a tree falls on them or they drive through Dairy Queen and they go for cheap at auction.

I have been known to raise the asking price once insulted with a lowball. Some of the reactions are priceless.

Me: “That’s your offer? Well now the asking price is <more>.”
Our one house buyers came in 40k under asking as the offering, we told realtor to tell them its $15k more now. That got the point across.

When I ordered my cargo trailer in late 2019 I was worried about the poor ground clearance of all of the trailers I had seen.

I ordered mine as a deck over, plenty of clearance and no wheel wells so the floor is flat. They are installing the tanks, walls, and ceiling, I do the rest.

I'm not too worried about the components and wiring installed thus far. The components are all known-good name brands (Victron, SOK), and having been deep into the guts of the factory wiring on a couple RVs, I know my work is for damn sure better quality and/or heavier-duty than what most RV manufacturers put in. I also know there's little to no chance that I'm going to pull any of it out, considering what a monumental PITA the installation was.

But beyond this point... some of the changes I'm thinking about would be, oh, let's say, more tech geek oriented than something an 'average' RV'er would be interested in dealing with. That stuff would *probably* be easier to pull out down the road, though that would be some what sad to have to do.

know my work is for damn sure better quality and/or heavier-duty than what most RV manufacturers put in.
That’s why I think solar add-ins are a non-issue- whether oem or dealer installed I’ve ‘fixed’ a number of systems that just wouldn’t work. My favorite was the ?? 6000W inverter on two standard grp24 RV batteries and the customer could only get an hour or two of use sometimes or often, it would shut down due to low voltage using the microwave and fridge on resistance electricity.

Any good self-installed system that works shouldn’t even be a talking point. Maybe mention solar in the feature list, but the RV should be sold on its merits AS IS. You wouldn’t go explaining the intimate details of the RV manufacturer’s converter installation or toilet- so you shouldn’t do that for the electrical system, either.

If selling and one is worried about the solar components being a negative in the mind of a prospective purchaser is like a kind of ‘projection’ of ones own lack of confidence in the system onto the buyer- whether real or imagined. Alternatively, if you think or actually know it’s a poor system you’ve installed then adding the ‘value’ of the system or pushing it as a benefit is dishonest and THAT is what will get you sued.

Back