diy solar

diy solar

RV: Small Solar Battery Setup to RV Question.

DonBow

Hello Everyone,

What I am looking to do. I have a small portable solar setup I made last year. It consists of a 20W solar panel, A cheap solar charge controller, and a small 12-volt AGM 35AH battery. Super simple but works well for camping and keeping your phones charged etc. Installed a few things like USB, Cigarette lighter port, and positive/negative terminals on the outside of the box. I just got a travel trailer and I would like to use this to keep the TT Battery charged while not in use. Is there a safe way to hook this to the trailer battery? The Trailer battery is just a single 12-volt lead-acid battery. I know we can't parallel the two different types and AH. I'm also still wanting to keep it portable. I have access to the battery and a solar port for the trailer. I don't think there is a solar controller pre-installed in the trailer. Any thoughts on a safe way to connect it? I will eventually add solar directly to the trailer but that's not an option right now.

Simple as disconnecting the AGM and connecting controller output direct on the trailer battery.

Could use the connector but the controller should be close to the battery. So that seems like more hassle. Great time to evaluate how the connector terminates near the battery and what size wire etc.for the next upgrade.

Hi Time2roll,
Thanks for the reply. So, it sounds like adding the battery is a no-go for now. What about adding a new port and switch to go from the battery to the to change the direction the current is directed, battery or TT. I will just need to be careful as my solar controller Frys if there is no battery attached.

Back