diy solar

diy solar

RV Solar and storage upgrades

Stitzebr1

I’m going from 200 watt PV to 400 watt PV in 2S2P configuration and from PWM to MPPT and from flooded to LiFePO4. Tried to cover all the bases putting a second auto transfer switch and DC-DC charger to protect the alternator while fusing every positive wire.
It’s a very short Motorhome @ 22’ otherwise I would have added more PV 3000 watt inverter larger MPPT but this will give no more nights without a furnace because my flooded were over 3 years old.
export.jpg

Attachments

• export.jpg
    export.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I like your set up and the idea of 2P2S for the solar panels to keep the amps below 30 for 400 watts; I was thinking 4P and trying to figure out it 33 amps was too high for my 100/30 Victron SCC, but with your set up, you stay below 20 and double the voltage which the MPPT can bring back down the right way. I went with a 150 amp T Fuse from my 280 AH battery and a 40 amp breaker from the solar charger. (I don't know if the 120 Amp Breaker has the enough AIC for a 560 AH battery pack)

Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in, but i'm not sure you need a battery isolator and a DC-DC charger in the same line. I thought the DC-DC charger was there to solve the problems of the Lithium/Lead/Alternator combination. For my set up, I ran the "on-off" for the charger from the running lights and capped the charging wire. So, the charger is only on when i have the running lights on; and the emergency breaks are powered by the battery. Alternatively, if I am driving at night and I don't want the charger on, I can just disconnect the charger connection between the truck and the trailer. Adding the isolator seems like a belt and suspenders. But it is entirely possible (maybe even likely), I don't know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• circuit (8).png
    circuit (8).png
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
I like your set up and the idea of 2P2S for the solar panels to keep the amps below 30 for 400 watts; I was thinking 4P and trying to figure out it 33 amps was too high for my 100/30 Victron SCC, but with your set up, you stay below 20 and double the voltage which the MPPT can bring back down the right way. I went with a 150 amp T Fuse from my 280 AH battery and a 40 amp breaker from the solar charger. (I don't know if the 120 Amp Breaker has the enough AIC for a 560 AH battery pack)

Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in, but i'm not sure you need a battery isolator and a DC-DC charger in the same line. I thought the DC-DC charger was there to solve the problems of the Lithium/Lead/Alternator combination. For my set up, I ran the "on-off" for the charger from the running lights and capped the charging wire. So, the charger is only on when i have the running lights on; and the emergency breaks are powered by the battery. Alternatively, if I am driving at night and I don't want the charger on, I can just disconnect the charger connection between the truck and the trailer. Adding the isolator seems like a belt and suspenders. But it is entirely possible (maybe even likely), I don't know what I'm talking about.
Thanks for your input, the batter isolator came from the manufacturer and is in a very difficult place to get to. So I left it and not beat up my knuckles.

Back