diy solar

diy solar

RV Solar Plan

caki

Hi folks
I have a small RV that I want to add solar. The diagram below explains my idea so far. Some more details:
- 24V system. I removed the 12v battery from the RV and plan to add a 24v to 12v converter.
- At this time I don't need AC from the battery. The battery is really for basic things and to run my CPAP in case I don't have power available.
- At this time I got a 24v 100ah battery, but I'm planning on adding a second one.

I would appreciate any feedback on the diagram below.
Thanks

Attachments

• RVSolar.png
    RVSolar.png
    77 KB · Views: 59
The battery is really for basic things and to run my CPAP
Do you know how much power this uses? Watts and number of hours needed.
Does the CPAP run on 12V or 24V?

Diagram looks good. I would add a switch to the solar panels (or replace the fuse with a breaker) - you'll want to be able to turn off power from solar.

I would replace the fuse/switch going to the converter with circuit breaker. Same thing on the output side of the solar charge controller. A fuse and a switch isn't wrong, it's just more complicated than it needs to be and more points of failure.

Do you know how much power this uses? Watts and number of hours needed.
Does the CPAP run on 12V or 24V?

Diagram looks good. I would add a switch to the solar panels (or replace the fuse with a breaker) - you'll want to be able to turn off power from solar.
The CPAP uses about 70watts for around 8 hours of sleep. It can run on 24v or 12v.
Thanks for the feedback!

I would replace the fuse/switch going to the converter with circuit breaker. Same thing on the output side of the solar charge controller. A fuse and a switch isn't wrong, it's just more complicated than it needs to be and more points of failure.
Thanks for the feedback and the breaker suggestion.

Saw wills post on 440w solar panels. Have you considered those? Not sure if they will support 24v system.

Saw wills post on 440w solar panels. Have you considered those? Not sure if they will support 24v system.

As long as the panel doesn't exceed the Max PV Input Voltage of the solar charge controller and the solar charge controller works with a 24v battery, it should work fine.

As long as the panel doesn't exceed the Max PV Input Voltage of the solar charge controller and the solar charge controller works with a 24v battery, it should work fine.
The battery have a max 10A charge and I already have a 380Watt panel. I'll have to limit the charging to 10A on the Victron MPPT charge controller that I hope it is possible.

I have a Vcitron 100/30 and it can limit charging to a certain amps.

Back