diy solar

diy solar

RV solar system, Fit for purpose ?

StarsScraper

Hi all,

I am setting up a SUV based solar panel / LiFePO4 battery combo in order to have some power while camping in southern France.

I hope you will correct / validate my setup.

I intend to go camping off-grid for 3 to 5 day periods during summer months.
Where I go the average monthly solar irradiation with optimal angle is 213 kWh / m² in july and 208 in august. (Source https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#)

My daily power consumption is approximately 1 000 Wh / day :
12 V water pump
Lights
2 PCs
4G WIFI router
1 cell phone

I did my research and I ended up with this set up:
2 Victron Energie monocristallin BlueSolar 115 W solar panels (SPM041151200)
1 Epever Tracer 2210 AN
1 LiFePO4 battery, DIY build, 175 Ah

So my first questions : will it be sufficient ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks for the feedback good or bad.

I think you'll have power to burn but might suggest adding a 3rd panel (you can oversize the PV by 1.5x with that controller)

I think you'll have power to burn but might suggest adding a 3rd panel (you can oversize the PV by 1.5x with that controller)
Thanks for your input

I thought it might be overkill but the other options are :
1 Victron Energie monocristallin BlueSolar 175 W solar panel
1 Victron Energie monocristallin BlueSolar 115 W solar panel

The 175 W is more taylored to my needs but it's too bulky : 1485 x 668 x 30 mm.
I have a Toyota KDJ 90, it's a small 3 doors SUV.

I could go with one 115 W, but I am not sure it will be sufficient ...

When you run out of rooftop space, consider deploying PV on the ground. I have 640 watts on the roof of my RV and 640 watts on the ground. With this setup, I can boondock for weeks.

When you run out of rooftop space, consider deploying PV on the ground. I have 640 watts on the roof of my RV and 640 watts on the ground. With this setup, I can boondock for weeks.
Thanks for your input. Actually I will put the PVs on the ground as I don't want to park the SUV under the sun.

Thanks for your input. Actually I will put the PVs on the ground as I don't want to park the SUV under the sun.

If you put enough solar panels on the roof of the RV, it really is in the shade!
banana.gif

If you put enough solar panels on the roof of the RV, it really is in the shade!
banana.gif
Yeah, had the same idea - getting the like really large 400w panels and covering the whole roof with little gaps.

Panels are so cheap these days, using them as a shade structure to reduce solar gain.

Back