diy solar

diy solar

RV system, 12v vs 24v Newby Questions

we stuck with 12v and just paid the price in terms of wiring, terminal blocks, fuses
Which on the Grand Scale really isn’t much of a price to pay imho in your situation. It makes sense. Bigger need/loads, sure, 24V or whole house 48V is both practical and sensible.

Depending on the circumstances and what/where property I buy winds up, I may do a whole-hog 48V system or basically re-use or mimic what I have now -just a tad bigger. If I buy something to fix/maintain/paint and flip a minimal system probably won’t add value to a prospective buyer or alternatively a whole-house system may not provide a profit.
a TON of 12v loads already in place
And that’s the practical aspect. Day to day I can run everything I need on 12V. Things like lighting and water pump are almost not measurable, and coffeemaker is a very short load. Fridge is my primary bulk load that still runs fine from a 12V inverter.
Furnaces, well pumps, big freezers, TVs- that’s getting where 12V starts to be a misguided compromise or impractical storage matter.

Which on the Grand Scale really isn’t much of a price to pay imho in your situation. It makes sense. Bigger need/loads, sure, 24V or whole house 48V is both practical and sensible.

Depending on the circumstances and what/where property I buy winds up, I may do a whole-hog 48V system or basically re-use or mimic what I have now -just a tad bigger. If I buy something to fix/maintain/paint and flip a minimal system probably won’t add value to a prospective buyer or alternatively a whole-house system may not provide a profit.

And that’s the practical aspect. Day to day I can run everything I need on 12V. Things like lighting and water pump are almost not measurable, and coffeemaker is a very short load. Fridge is my primary bulk load that still runs fine from a 12V inverter.
Furnaces, well pumps, big freezers, TVs- that’s getting where 12V starts to be a misguided compromise or impractical storage matter.
But the OP was asking about an RV not a house system with heavy draw appliances at possibly the same time which would favor 48v system. ?

As a fulltimer living off of solar/ battery system which is 12v for the rv it has been on since 2016 (see sig) everyday operates everything in the trailer including coffee pot, microwave, ice maker, vacuum, humidifier, toaster other misc items and 15k air conditioner. If you need AC for long periods either get a generator or go to an rv park if possible.

My system isn't large but handle everything with in reason, knowing your limitations is key. ;)

OP was asking about an RV not a house system with heavy draw appliances at possibly the same time which would favor 48v system
Yes. Just expounding / making the case on the thought process for staying 12V. Or not.

Back