diy solar

diy solar

Rv Upgrade

Lar

We purchased a new towable rv trailer that has a built in Generator and 200 watt solar panels on the roof with a go power controller. I want to upgrade my batteries to lithium but I’ve since learned that the built in inverter charger need to be upgraded to support lithium charging it will only provide 85% of a charge. I also realized that lithium batteries will not turn my generator over.

Any suggestions? Should I just go back to led acid?
I only got a 2 years of life out of my led acid batteries. Either over charged or under charged. I noticed that my inverter fan runs all the time if I’m on shore power and have the battery disconnect switch on to maintain the battery. If I turn the battery disconnect off the batteries are always dead when I need battery power.

Welcome to the forum.

Do a search on here, there is a lot of information regarding those topics.

Personally, my 12V/280AH/150A-BMS battery starts my 5500 Onan generator just fine. I'm also using a non-lithium rated charger without issue - this will depend on the charging specs of your go power.

What are the specs on your battery/batteries?

I chose to retain a smaller lead acid battery on the tongue of the trailer for starting the generator as well as for the trailer's emergency breakaway system. This battery is isolated from the LiFePO4 battery bank. My LiFePO4 battery bank could go to zero and I can still start my generator.

There are a few posts on the forum of members that recorded the surge amps required to start their generators. Some reported over 200 amps.

Back