diy solar

diy solar

RVan Flexible Wiring "Tricks"

Swamplizard

Ready to unplug and wander the USA
Folks- your patience is appreciated here - I assure you I poked around and tried to avoid posting this question but can't find what I need.

I know flexible is not as good as fixed but for my small Van project I am trying to keep things low profile, light, and stealthy. Looking to use marine grade 100W panels which do not have the shiny surface that tends to cloud up and I will back them with something to handle heat.

Researched and know how I want to mount them to the roof but due to the other considerations (mounting a 2-man kayak on the van from time to time) I need to lay them out end to end down each side of the roof. Three in series on each side initially (might end up with 4 per side) - paralleled back to MPPT.

Here is the question - what is the best way to secure and hide the wires? Since they are on the surface of the panels not hidden below a frame (as they would be with rigid panels) I am finding it difficult to run them cleanly and hide them neatly.

Can anyone post what a picture of what they did?

Many Thanks!

Important to get the panels that have the 5 year manufacturing and 20+ year performance warranties. There is a new coating (ETFE) that appears to make them more durable.

To get the cleanest wiring look, you could trim the leads on the panels so there is no excess. That's not a cheap way to go as you'll need new MC4 crimps for each wire cut. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any type of "conduit" that would hide wires. If you decide to use conduit with your PV wire, be sure to check the ratings of the wire for that application. I don't use conduit but I've read that the wire rating changes when conduit is used.

Back