diy solar

diy solar

RVIA LV: Standard for Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
It took over a year, but I finally found a free copy of the RV industries low voltage electrical standard:
ANSI RVIA LV Standard for Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles

Its a relatively short document, not nearly as solid or complete as the ABYC E-11 marine standards, or the NEC, but still a useful document that I know a handful of members have been curious about and looking for. Not sure how long this online copy will remain up, If its something you are interested in I suggest saving it as a PDF in case it goes down.

One notable change in the most recent version (the version I found), Low voltage was changed from under 24V nominal, to under 60V

On a related note, does anyone have access to a relatively recent PDF version of NFPA 1192 they could share?

ABYC is the gold standard. RVs don’t need the explosion proof stuff required in engine rooms but RVIA standards are directed by the big RV manufacturers and for most of us they fall on the wrong side of the quality/cost curve.

Reactions: Dzl
ABYC is the gold standard.
Agreed. Its my favorite code to reference as a DIY'er. Its much more 'human-readable' and concise than the NEC, and more relevant to marine and to some degree mobile applications. I believe the ABYC E-11 was the first resource I ever uploaded to the forum (and the first resource in general I think).

The RVIA-LV is a standard by manufacturers for manufacturers--so in that sense it doesn't apply to the DIY community--still its not a wholly irrevelvant standard. As far as I'm aware, its the only mobile specific standard apart from vehicle specific standards which don't cover the house side of things.

Being able to reference and cross reference both standards will probably have some value in some circumstances for mobile folks, or folks modifying existing RV electrical systems. Though after reading through the RVIA LV, its pretty skimpy.

Back