diy solar

diy solar

?'s related to switching from JBD 120 to 200 bms

pdxbill

I built my first lifepo battery last year. It's a 12 V 280 ah lifepo with JBD 120 amp bms. It's functioning well, but I have a need for a larger amp draw in my small RV. I have upgraded to the 200 amp version and have a couple of questions related to the install.

1. Can I reuse the balance leads from the 120 amp model? I'd like to keep as much of my build intact as possible, and simply plugging in the existing balance leads into the new bms would be great. The new balance leads appear identical.
  2. Can I also just plug in the older bluetooth into the new 200 amp bms? Again, the new one appears identical.
  3. Finally, will the software(iOS) read the new parameters of the 200 amp bms, or will I need to adjust the settings in config?
Thanks for any insights,
Bill

I built my first lifepo battery last year. It's a 12 V 280 ah lifepo with JBD 120 amp bms. It's functioning well, but I have a need for a larger amp draw in my small RV. I have upgraded to the 200 amp version and have a couple of questions related to the install.

1. Can I reuse the balance leads from the 120 amp model? I'd like to keep as much of my build intact as possible, and simply plugging in the existing balance leads into the new bms would be great. The new balance leads appear identical.
  2. Can I also just plug in the older bluetooth into the new 200 amp bms? Again, the new one appears identical.
  3. Finally, will the software(iOS) read the new parameters of the 200 amp bms, or will I need to adjust the settings in config?
Thanks for any insights,
Bill
1. Yes probably (CAUTION) but you need to do a verification with a volt meter comparing the old balance plug with the new plug wire order. I went from a JBD 120 to a JBD 200 and they were the same in my case but that does not necessarily hold true for you. Ensure that you connect the negative from the battery to the BMS before you plug in the balance cable to the BMS.
2. Yes; it should work fine.
3. The new BMS should work with the factory defaults but I strongly suggest that you adjust the settings to whatever you are comfortable with. I recently updated mine to JBD 200 and had to make a few adjustments to be a bit more conservative than the factory defaults. Overkill Solar has a PDF on their website which contains a good settings guide.

Last edited:
Details on the issues you’ve seen? I did see someone post an issue with a 48v 200a with errant overvoltage issues.

Don't discard/sell the old BMS yet. We're starting to see some issues with the higher amp JBD BMS.
I always keep a second as a backup anyway. A dead BMS could REALLY eff up some plans.

Back