diy solar

diy solar

Safe to extend BMS battery connection?

hortoni

Hi all,

I'm building 2 12v 280AH batteries for a RV solar installation using EVE LF280K cells. I purchased a plastic battery box that will make for a clean installation in the camper and I'm fitting a 200 Amp JBD BMS to each battery.

The new version of the 200 amp JBD doesn't extend the C- connection bar past the edge of the BMS. I need to angle the 2 gauge wire coming out to connect to the battery top negative terminal because there's not a lot of clearance above the cells and BMS. I'm concerned about the bend in the cable putting pressure on the connector and possibly pushing it into the BMS casing screw which I imaging would not be good!

To solve this problem, I'm considering using a 1/8" thick copper bar to extend the bms connection about 3/4 inch and then use a bolt, washer and lock nut to connect the C- cable at a 90 degree angle to eliminate strain. Is there any reason not to do that? I've been reading a lot and watching tons of videos but this is my first LifePO4 battery build and I want to make sure it's done right.

Attachments

• IMG_4878.jpg
    IMG_4878.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 34
If those brass lugs touch the metal plate I think you will basically by-pass your BMS as it will complete the circuit allowing current to flow from the top heat shield, be careful.

If those brass lugs touch the metal plate I think you will basically by-pass your BMS as it will complete the circuit allowing current to flow from the top heat shield, be careful.
I agree! I actually ended up cutting a matching size pad of 1/8" copper and using it as a spacer to gain more clearance. I'll cover the metal screw and plate in kapton tape as added insurance.

Back