diy solar

diy solar

Safely selecting less noisy replacement inverter fans

husknbusk

I bought the new GoWise 1500 watt pure sin wave inverter and it works well, except the cooling fans are super loud when they cycle on (which happens even if I'm only pulling a 250 watt load). That's going to keep waking me up at night.

I opened up the unit and disconnected the fans, but that seems a little risky. I want to replace them --I purchased super quiet ones and tried them out. They're super quiet! But also hardly push any air, and I'm concerned that I'll damage the unit or in the worst case, start a fire.

I emailed GoWise to ask them the fan specifications and they told me they don't know so they can't help! I can't believe they don't know the specifications of their own unit, but that's the situation. There are no markings or labels on the fans.

I'm sure I"m not the only one who's tried this out -- any suggestions for a minimum airflow value in CFM units for a 1500 watt inverter? There are two fans side by side. Or if there's a better way to quiet the thing down, I'm happy to hear that, too.

Thanks for any tips

Is there CFM rating printed on the origilnal fan? Also any make and model of the fan printed on the fan sticker?

It doesn't have to be an exact model, the fan fitted is probably just a generic one. I'm replacing my inverter fan with a low noise computer fan, I think anything upwards of 30cfm for a 120mm should be sufficient.

Also you might be able to slow the existing fan with a small step-down to say 9-7v (for a 12v fan) to kill a little bit of noise without losing too much airflow.

Last edited:
It's a 50mm x 50 mm sized fan. How'd you come up with 30 cfm based on 120 mm? And how would you change it for a 50x50mm?

Isn’t there a setting on there to ONLY run the fans when the unit is over a specific temp?

That's what the manufacturer claimed, yes. Apparently, a 250 watt load is sufficient to heat it up above that cutoff.

It's a 50mm x 50 mm sized fan. How'd you come up with 30 cfm based on 120 mm? And how would you change it for a 50x50mm?

30cfm is an estimate on my behalf given that a lot of low noise (800-1000rpm) 120mm computer fans put out around 30cfm.

A 50x50mm fan would be noisy due to it's size, having to spin at a higher rpm to move a similar amount of air. I don't think there's really a fix for that without cutting a bigger hole in your inverter casing to mount a bigger fan, or maybe remove the fan and add on more heatsinks.

Back