diy solar

diy solar

Safety hazard w/ Growatt 5000ES (European version) when connected to American grid

Closer then you understand.

I’ll kick it off for you explain the difference between European 230 vac where it’s supplied as L1 L2 and US split phase supplying 240 vac.

Compare a different contrast this with rural French distribution with 3 phase to houses and also similar in Germany.

Many French rural farms are actually in practice split phase except the term split phase isn’t used.
I aint splaining nothing, better to know what you don't know, especially in public.

Again I didn't even know some/all of Europe supplied 3 phase to domestic properties. I do know the UK supply 3 phase to the street and every 3rd house is on the same phase.

Trust the French to do something different LOL. Gotta love their quirkiness.

I aint splaining nothing, better to know what you don't know, especially in public.

Again I didn't even know some/all of Europe supplied 3 phase to domestic properties. I do know the UK supply 3 phase to the street and every 3rd house is on the same phase.

Trust the French to do something different LOL. Gotta love their quirkiness.
There are elements of European domestic supply that are for all intents electrically similar to US split phase supply , yes it’s not as common as phase and neutral but it’s there. There are also fully floating neutral supplies also.

Germany supplies domestic properties with 3 phase France has a range of multi phase solutions some are similar electrically to US split phase.

It’s a very bad European invertor that assumes neutral is earth references.

I only know basic's about the UK and USA systems. USA confused the shit out of me when I arrived lol.

I don't even know what those letters mean without looking them up, and guess what ? I don't care to.

I never worked on building sites so I know nothing about them apart from what I read on the interwebs.
That’s fine admitting you don’t know European mains supply or the variations of earth grounding systems is fine.

Equally the U.K. is not Europe and it’s a basic failing to extrapolate.

All uk construction cannot use 230 vac single phase portable tools. Hence we use in effect a split phase 55v transformer with neutral earth bonded. This essentially provides a shock free phase and is a US 110vac split phase system. It’s marked my “ yellow “ plugs and power cords as opposed to blue 230 vac.

You see we make use of split phase a lot.

Here’s a quick pointer on earthing system nomenclature. Pure TT ( the T is French “ terra”) is now rare.

0CCB51CF-7F6A-4F53-AF57-54EEC6D584CF.jpeg

Uk 110 vac split phase site transformer , common as mud and in any hardware store here

981701D5-6B2B-48E5-BFD8-8A77915C69DE.jpeg

761C5453-A740-4914-BF58-276EAC68E327.jpeg

Last edited:
This essentially provides a shock free phase and is a US 110vac split phase system.
Death free not shock free and I guess half of the USA system lol.
Worst shock I ever had was from 24v AC under a pinball playfield...I pulled my arm back so quick I ripped the skin on the back of my hand to shreds and smashed my !ucking elbow.
And that diagram is bollocks, where the hell do they get + and - 55v from....fools.

Death free not shock free and I guess half of the USA system lol.
Worst shock I ever had was from 24v AC under a pinball playfield...I pulled my arm back so quick I ripped the skin on the back of my hand to shreds and smashed my !ucking elbow.
And that diagram is bollocks, where the hell do they get + and - 55v from....fools.
It’s a drop down transform 2:1 , so 230 to 110 approx , then split phase

Closer then you understand.

I’ll kick it off for you explain the difference between European 230 vac where it’s supplied as L1 L2 and US split phase supplying 240 vac.

Compare a different contrast this with rural French distribution with 3 phase to houses and also similar in Germany.

Many French rural farms are actually in practice split phase except the term split phase isn’t used.

No, 230 V isn't supplied from two phases here, it's supplied between one of the three phases and the neutral. Between two phases you have 400 V (it was 380 V before, like 230 V was 220 V).

3 phases power is getting rarer and rarer (equipments like meters, breakers, etc... are a lot more expensive than for single phase and advantages of 3 phases is getting lower and lower) excepted for industrial installations where it's needed for the very high power demand. And we call that "triphasé" which would translate by "triphased".

Here’s a quick pointer on earthing system nomenclature. Pure TT ( the T is French “ terra”) is now rare.

View attachment 119550

Your TT earthing diagram is incomplete, here's the proper one: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/TT-fr.svg/379px-TT-fr.svg.png?uselang=fr

Supplier provides us a neutral that is bonded to the PE at the last transfomer in the chain (the one converting xx kV to 230/400 V) and each house has a local earthing rod that provides the PE for this house loads.

It's far from rare since it's basically what is used for pretty much all electrical installations here and is the mandatory one.

I'm French BTW.

No, 230 V isn't supplied from two phases here, it's supplied between one of the three phases and the neutral. Between two phases you have 400 V (it was 380 V before, like 230 V was 220 V).

3 phases power is getting rarer and rarer (equipments like meters, breakers, etc... are a lot more expensive than for single phase and advantages of 3 phases is getting lower and lower) excepted for industrial installations where it's needed for the very high power demand. And we call that "triphasé" which would translate by "triphased".

Your TT earthing diagram is incomplete, here's the proper one: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/TT-fr.svg/379px-TT-fr.svg.png?uselang=fr

Supplier provides us a neutral that is bonded to the PE at the last transfomer in the chain (the one converting xx kV to 230/400 V) and each house has a local earthing rod that provides the PE for this house loads.

It's far from rare since it's basically what is used for pretty much all electrical installations here and is the mandatory one.

I'm French BTW.
Sorry when i meant rare I meant where I live also new EU codes will remove earth rods on reality as their performance is poor.

Sorry when i meant rare I meant where I live also new EU codes will remove earth rods on reality as their performance is poor.

I think isolation transformer dedicated to a single house, neutral bonded to ground and one point and an earth rod (or system like Ufer) is ideal and performance is great. If a fault occurs between line and chassis of equipment, voltage of chassis remains near earth potential (protecting people from shock) and breaker trips.

The system we have in most neighborhoods, a Pole Pig isolation transformer and L1/L2/N distributed to multiple houses, each bonding N to their own G and having a ground rod, could be a problem. Multiple bonding and grounding points, so some open-circuit situations mean earth or water pipes become the return path. In my case an underground transformer feeds half a dozen of us. Not sure if it has separate secondaries for each load, or if we do share one (most likely.)

I'm having similar questions with the Victron Quattro. I'm wondering if I can get a single, larger unit to allow for potential system scalability with my limited wall-space.

For example, I'm looking for 10kVa and 120V split-phase at 60Hz. Victron makes a 10kVa 120V unit, that I could potentially couple into their 100A autotransformer? The descriptions state that the 230V units are not suitable for the US grid, though they can be configured for 60Hz. I'm guessing this is the same ground-bond issue noted above?

Thanks!
Michael

Back