diy solar

diy solar

Sailboat Electrical Upgrade

spcalan14

I have a 1979 Pearson 31.
I have 2 batteries total, 1 for starting and 1 for house. The wiring is an absolute mess.
I want to install 2 new batteries independent of the existing batteries and install new lights, radio, solar panels etc...
The reason is that I don't want to rip out the old stuff before I know how to re-wire the engine for starting.

Options:
1. Lithium, 100ah
2. Lithium Prismatic, 200ah
3. (2) 100ah AGM

thoughts ?

Options:
1. Lithium, 100ah
2. Lithium Prismatic, 200ah
3. (2) 100ah AGM

thoughts ?
If you don't have any constraints, as specified, then going with 200Ah of premium Battleborn batteries is a great option.
If your mention of "Lithium, 100ah" is not LiFePO4, then its likely the explody type of battery.
AGM batteries are relatively cheap, very heavy and super easy to charge.

200ah Battleborn will definitely break my budget. I never knew how expensive they were.
When I mentioned Lithium.. I did mean LiFePO4 variety.. only decision is 1 battery, or a 4-cell ( 3.4 v ) combo.

Yes. I have seen many videos of people creating banks using (4) cells. Just wondering if that is better than just buying (1) - 100ah battery.

It seems less expensive to me ( $400 vs $800 ) for 100ah.
Not sure about quality and risk of 1 cell going bad..
also the easier... the need of a BMS with LIFEPO4.

today, I have 2 batteries, Duracell lead acid, 800cca. Not sure of amp hours (24MSHO model ).
No clue how they are currently wired to alternator. Need to dig in.

My batteries do not have AH listed.. but this is from the website:

Specifications​

• Battery Electrolyte Composition:Acid
  • Battery End Type:Top Post
  • Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
  • BCI Group Size:24
  • CCA at 0 degrees F:840
  • Freight Class:65
  • MCA at 32 degrees F:1050
  • Polarity:Left Positive
  • Reserve Capacity:182
  • Terminal Type:DIN
  • Volts:12

Agree. This new setup will only be used for lights, radios, and small 12v plugs....Completely independent of the existing 2 batteries.

Back