diy solar

diy solar

Sailing into Lithium

JAGA II

We retired years ago and left New Zealand in 2017 on a 1978 38’ sailboat. We hope to arrive in the Chesapeake Bay this coming spring and replace our tired old batteries. What We Need: to be able to run a 12v Danfoss built in fridge/freezer, led lights, 5 12v Hella fans, on demand 12v water pump, sump pump, and not much else. No chart Plotter, No Auto-pilot, So thinking 200ah LiFePo4 should carry us and stay healthy ? The inverter is only for our 110v Hooka rig used for diving under the boat to clean the barnacles from the hull and the diesel would be running to power it.
PLEASE CRITIQUE THIS COMPLETELY .... i love mr Will and his video’s but even so i am completely ignorant of this stuff.

Attachments

• D4B998E2-E4B4-495C-9D62-55EF8CEBD73E.png
    D4B998E2-E4B4-495C-9D62-55EF8CEBD73E.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
200 Ah LFP? Plenty. 500W panels to charge them? Plenty. Long cloudy spells? You should be covered.
Just keep half a sleepy eye on the batteries - you'll be surprised how little watching they need compared lo lead-acid. Looks to me like a peace-of-mind setup :·)

P.S. Crossing the Pacific on a 38'... :·)

200 Ah LFP? Plenty. 500W panels to charge them? Plenty.
You should add some clutter. A $500 lowrance is a pretty handy item, and with all that power making coffee or doing a couple other things electrical for little ‘luxuries’ may enhance your life. Although freedom on the ocean is a pretty fair way to start retirement!

I use more power on my sailboat than that and batteries stay charged with 200 Watts of solar. You will have no problem. I do love my autopilot and chartploter.

Back