diy solar

diy solar

Salvage a DOA solar generator (Paxcess 500w)

glasdriver

My skill level: mostly beginner to intermediate. I understand DC electronics, can use a multimeter and mostly understand lithium cells and the purpose of a BMS. I've installed a solar system in my travel trailer, with inverter, and wired the inverter output through a transfer switch into the trailer's general purpose AC plugs.

A friend gave me a Paxcess 500w solar generator that arrived DOA from Paxcess. I've determined that the main control board is likely defective, but the battery and BMS are working.

The battery is a 6S 8P array of CMI CR18650 cells and through the BMS I'm able to use the 24v AC charger that came with the unit (wired directly to the BMS) to get the 6S array to charge to 20.80 volts (3.46v per cell). I feel confident the BMS and battery array are functioning as designed.

However, the control board (which contains an embedded MPPT controller) and its accompanying inverter board are not working. The control board won't even pass through the 24V from the AC charger to the BMS. The control board also controls the inverter board and as such, the inverter won't turn on.

What I'd like to do is salvage the unit by striping out the defective boards and adding a replacement MPPT, an inverter and USB boards to the unit to salvage the unit.

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on what I need to purchase to make this happen.

1. INPUT: MPPT controller, able to handle 7 amps, with input either from the 24v AC charger or a typical 17 volt portable solar panel (I have a folding 120w portable panel). Does the MPPT controller need to limit output to 24 volts or can it be a typical 28 volts, and let the BMS manage it from there? The battery pack is not a typical 24 volt array; it's 21 volts from the looks of it. Will the MPPT boost the solar panel voltage to the required 24 volts? If not, what do I need to boost the voltage?

2. AC OUTPUT: Inverter, 500 watts. It would be ideal to figure out how to control the original inverter without the control board, but absent that, what's the recommendation for pure sine wave small inverter that could be fit inside the existing case?

3. USB OUTPUT: I'll need USB outlets. What's the recommendation for a USB panel (2-4 plugs) that would work with this?

4. MONITORING: Battery monitoring system, displaying SOC and watts being consumed or added. Something affordable, even just showing volts and amps used/added.

I can handle the physical parts of the salvage, no problem, but I'd like to have everything fit into the original case (the control facia can be removed and replaced with an aluminum faceplate I can fabricate to fit the original facia). If I can't fit everything into the original case, I have an old Pelican case that would work well.

Many thanks! Here are photos.

Overall unit. The unit will not turn on or off using the controls. The control board and everything on it is useless: MPPT controller, USB output, AC output, solar input, AC charger input -- ALL ARE NOT FUNCTIONING.

EDIT: As this unit arrived DOA, Paxcess supplied another working unit and did not want the DOA unit returned. As such, my other option is to just strip out the non-working stuff and parallel this unit's battery into the other unit (doubling capacity). I'd just install an XT60 on the outside of the case and modify the working unit with a matching XT60, with cable between the two units. Plan B.

20221106_050334 (1).jpg

Here's the BMS. The XT60 on the right goes to the battery and the cell leads are show to the right of that, along with convenient probe connections. In input to the BMS is to the left, where the red multimeter probe (blurred) is currently inserted, along with output from the 24.1 volt AC charger. Using the charger, I was able to get the battery pack up to 21.0 volts (20.80 resting), or 3.46v per cell (the cells are marked 3.6v).

20221106_050346 (1).jpg

The inverter board. The XT60 connector show upper left connects into the BMS. It's shown disconnected, as the AC charger is currently connected to where that XT60 would have connected to the BMS (shown partially to the left of the photo).

20221106_050350.jpg

Here's the backside of the controller board. What I'm referring to the inverter board is more an extension of the controller board rather than a separate inverter, but it sure would be nice to salvage the inverter if I could be controlled manually separate from the controller board.

20221106_050358.jpg

The front panel. I'll likely fully discard this or possibly just salvage the physical parts of it.

20221106_050418.jpg

Last edited:
6S 18650s sounds like a cordless tool battery. Just, 8p!

A normal mppt will NOT boost voltage.

Interesting project!

Twice I've repaired things that were out of production for decades by buying broken ones on ebay. One was a car radio and the other a peice of test equipment.
I was patient and waited until I found the exact items on ebay listed 'for parts only'. They were cheap.
If you don't have exact replacement parts for your power pack it will be a bunch of time and work to find things to make it functional again. But I'm sure it can be done.
The other way to get repair parts would be to find the company that imported these in to the US and see if they have some scratch and dent units kicking around the warehouse.

First, I would try to find out why the main board isn't working. It could be something simple such as a loose connection somewhere, or maybe a blown fuse.
It seems odd that a new item would arrive DOA, so it's probably just a manufacturing defect.
Unless it's used... then maybe something else could be damaged such as a capacitor or a MOSFET.

I do see two fuses on there. Did you do a continuity test on them? (just for safety make sure the battery is disconnected)

Yes, I checked those two 25A fuses. Funny thing is they are soldered to the PCB rather than field-replaceable. Catastrophic fuses I assume.
I really haven't examined the main board yet. I didn't see anything obvious and was hoping that waking up the BMS would have solved the issue, but it didn't.

I have no idea how this unit passed QA (if they had any). Inop right out of the box.

My skill level: mostly beginner to intermediate. I understand DC electronics, can use a multimeter and mostly understand lithium cells and the purpose of a BMS. I've installed a solar system in my travel trailer, with inverter, and wired the inverter output through a transfer switch into the trailer's general purpose AC plugs.

A friend gave me a Paxcess 500w solar generator that arrived DOA from Paxcess. I've determined that the main control board is likely defective, but the battery and BMS are working.

The battery is a 6S 8P array of CMI CR18650 cells and through the BMS I'm able to use the 24v AC charger that came with the unit (wired directly to the BMS) to get the 6S array to charge to 20.80 volts (3.46v per cell). I feel confident the BMS and battery array are functioning as designed.

However, the control board (which contains an embedded MPPT controller) and its accompanying inverter board are not working. The control board won't even pass through the 24V from the AC charger to the BMS. The control board also controls the inverter board and as such, the inverter won't turn on.

What I'd like to do is salvage the unit by striping out the defective boards and adding a replacement MPPT, an inverter and USB boards to the unit to salvage the unit.

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on what I need to purchase to make this happen.

1. INPUT: MPPT controller, able to handle 7 amps, with input either from the 24v AC charger or a typical 17 volt portable solar panel (I have a folding 120w portable panel). Does the MPPT controller need to limit output to 24 volts or can it be a typical 28 volts, and let the BMS manage it from there? The battery pack is not a typical 24 volt array; it's 21 volts from the looks of it. Will the MPPT boost the solar panel voltage to the required 24 volts? If not, what do I need to boost the voltage?

2. AC OUTPUT: Inverter, 500 watts. It would be ideal to figure out how to control the original inverter without the control board, but absent that, what's the recommendation for pure sine wave small inverter that could be fit inside the existing case?

3. USB OUTPUT: I'll need USB outlets. What's the recommendation for a USB panel (2-4 plugs) that would work with this?

4. MONITORING: Battery monitoring system, displaying SOC and watts being consumed or added. Something affordable, even just showing volts and amps used/added.

I can handle the physical parts of the salvage, no problem, but I'd like to have everything fit into the original case (the control facia can be removed and replaced with an aluminum faceplate I can fabricate to fit the original facia). If I can't fit everything into the original case, I have an old Pelican case that would work well.

Many thanks! Here are photos.

Overall unit. The unit will not turn on or off using the controls. The control board and everything on it is useless: MPPT controller, USB output, AC output, solar input, AC charger input -- ALL ARE NOT FUNCTIONING.

EDIT: As this unit arrived DOA, Paxcess supplied another working unit and did not want the DOA unit returned. As such, my other option is to just strip out the non-working stuff and parallel this unit's battery into the other unit (doubling capacity). I'd just install an XT60 on the outside of the case and modify the working unit with a matching XT60, with cable between the two units. Plan B.

View attachment 119292

Here's the BMS. The XT60 on the right goes to the battery and the cell leads are show to the right of that, along with convenient probe connections. In input to the BMS is to the left, where the red multimeter probe (blurred) is currently inserted, along with output from the 24.1 volt AC charger. Using the charger, I was able to get the battery pack up to 21.0 volts (20.80 resting), or 3.46v per cell (the cells are marked 3.6v).

View attachment 119293

The inverter board. The XT60 connector show upper left connects into the BMS. It's shown disconnected, as the AC charger is currently connected to where that XT60 would have connected to the BMS (shown partially to the left of the photo).

View attachment 119294

Here's the backside of the controller board. What I'm referring to the inverter board is more an extension of the controller board rather than a separate inverter, but it sure would be nice to salvage the inverter if I could be controlled manually separate from the controller board.

View attachment 119295

The front panel. I'll likely fully discard this or possibly just salvage the physical parts of it.

View attachment 119296

Just came across you post.
I have 5 if these.
3 working and 2 nonworking.
The 2 nonworking have dead displays but the 12 volt dc socket is always on with 13.00 volts out. I charged these up to 25.2 volts using an Imax6 at 6s lipo setting to xt60 connector.
Just curious what you finally did with yours.
Did you salvage for parts?
Did you parallel connect the battery packs?
Impressed that you were able to dissemble this unit. It took me awhile to figure it out and get the right sized hex tool, unlock the tabs under the corner bumpers, and find the 4 screw holes under the 4 bottom corner rubber cushions.

(the cells are marked 3.6v).
They almost sound like some other chemistry other than LFP. How did you determine which type they were? LFP charges to 3.6 Volts and the others charge to 4.1 Volts.The post above by @Geno Velasco suggests that they may not be LFP and should be charged to 4 1 volts per cell. Best to verify before trying. If they are LFP to BMS will probably cut out at 3.65 volts per cell.

Last edited:
They almost sound like some other chemistry other than LFP. How did you determine which type they were? LFP charges to 3.6 Volts and the others charge to 4.1 Volts.The post above by @Geno Velasco suggests that they may not be LFP and should be charged to 4 1 volts per cell. Best to verify before trying. If they are LFP to BMS will probably cut out at 3.65 volts per cell.

The batteries are 18650 with e.6 nominal volts can be charged to 4.2 volts. Don't have the specs on these batteries but 18650 can normally be charged to 4.2 volts.

Attachments

• 20230504_104723.jpg
    20230504_104723.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 5
Don't have the specs on these batteries but 18650 can normally be charged to 4.2 volts.
18650 is a form factor and they come in LFP and other Lithium chemistry like NCA. Early Teslas used NCA in their packs. It is best to be informed about the actual chemistry before charging and discharging. My guess is six in series is probably NCA because 4.2 times six is 25.2 Volts. Typically LFP would be eight in series for 25.6 volts at nominal 3.2 volts per cell for LFP.
If no other information is available charging them carefully might give a clue when the BMS shuts off. At that point if one has a voltmeter they can check voltages and see what voltage the BMS shut off because of one cell going over or pack voltage going over.

18650 is a form factor and they come in LFP and other Lithium chemistry like NCA. Early Teslas used NCA in their packs. It is best to be informed about the actual chemistry before charging and discharging. My guess is six in series is probably NCA because 4.2 times six is 25.2 Volts. Typically LFP would be eight in series for 25.6 volts at nominal 3.2 volts per cell for LFP.
If no other information is available charging them carefully might give a clue when the BMS shuts off. At that point if one has a voltmeter they can check voltages and see what voltage the BMS shut off because of one cell going over or pack voltage going over.

FYI, per instruction manual, battery type is Lithium-ion.
See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505-094954_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505-094954_Dropbox.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
How did you get on?
My ac50s which looks very similar won't charge, so im looking at some similar salvage operation, although probably just mains charging for me.

Back