diy solar

diy solar

SAMLEX 2000-12 Wobbly Negative Stud

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
I have a a SAMLEX 2000-12 inverter, and the 5/16 negative stud the battery power attaches to Wobbles slightly when loose. WHen tight, its nice and firm. The Positive Stud does not wobble and when loose.

I Don’t think A stud should wobble, so I returned the first one I got, and get sent a replacement, and this stud wobbles also. Owners Manual does not say Now I’m perplexed. I got this off Amazon, and the second one shipped from a different warehouse.

I’m wondering if anyone has seen this? You can see in the photo the stud wobbles about 10 degrees.

B0486129-3F2E-44FE-8F20-AB8AFAD8208E.jpegC7704F2E-042F-4717-BA0B-A7F65253A937.jpeg

I've contacted the manufacturer tech support and hope to hear back from them. I really think it needs to be returned, but if they can tell me it will work with 100+ amps flowing through this, than I will hook it up. Perhaps it is designed to have a little play until tightened, although I doubt that.

A stud shouldn't wobble but given the pictures and your description I'd say it's likely not a stud but a captive bolt instead.

If that's the case then it's totally normal for it to wobble when not tightened ;)

Seems like the person that installs the positives needs to train the person who installs the negatives. ;)
So odd that you've had two like that.

That is it. I do believe it is a captive bolt as @BiduleOhm mentioned. I do find it odd that the positive does not wobble and the negative does, on two different inveters

Mine was the same way.
I can't remember if it was both or just one.

That is it. I do believe it is a captive bolt as @BiduleOhm mentioned. I do find it odd that the positive does not wobble and the negative does, on two different inveters

Probably due to manufacturing tolerances, nothing to be alarmed if everything else is fine (i.e. mainly the terminal not heating up) ;)

Loose Screw is not a problem. Between @smoothJoey and an EMAIL just received from SAMLEX, it’s not a Problem.

========================

For anyone following this thread, I just received this EMAIL From SAMLEX:

The stud has a base behind it which can be loose from the assembly. This does not impact the function, -when the nut is tightened electrical contact is made properly with the plate of the assembly.

So all is fine.

Thank you for choosing Samlex.”
=========================

I find it even more official that the E-Mail had a logo and a signature block with A name. That gives me confidence. I’ve received E-Mails from different companies about different products that makes me question what is going on.

Probably a nut on the other side that you can tighten - be sure to leave this deenergized for an hour or more before opening the case.

Back