diy solar

diy solar

Samlex 4024 install questions

FTRVR

I am in the process of installing a Samlex Evo 4024 in my 5th wheel. I have a question about wiring it up. My main panel is 50 amps. In the Evo manual it shows the Evo receiving its AC power from one leg of the main panel, and passing through the Evo to a sub panel, and out to the appliences. It seems like a lot more work, and I dont really have a accessable place to install a sub panel. Is it possible to take one leg of the shore power before going into the main panel, running it through the Evo and then connecting it to the main panel, to power 1/2 of the panel. I doubt if it would meet code, but is it safe?

that is exactly what a lot of 5th wheel owners do. as I have done with mine. it is perfectly safe as long as you put in a disconnect breaker on the leg you re-route. it is a great way to get power to your appliances while off grid. make sure you re-wire your distribution panel properly. I believe there are several you tube videos on the subject. this is a picture of my inverter disconnect panel on the wall of my cargo bay.

inverterdisconnect.jpg

when you look at re-wiring or moving breakers on your existing distribution panel; study it closely. a majority of them will have each breaker in the row alternate between L1, and L2. so understand in advance which breakers are going to on on L1 and which breakers are going on to L2-Inverter power. and of course label everything.

The 5th wheel takes a 240v shore power line?
no; I think It's considered a 50amp, 120volt shore power. It is made up of L1 and L2, 30amps each.
I don't know of anything on board that would need both L1 & L2 or draw 220volts.

So if it were me I would hook shore power to Evo and evo to panel. Run everything through evo. Connect the 2 legs of breaker box together. This is how I set up my cabin.

that is exactly what a lot of 5th wheel owners do. as I have done with mine. it is perfectly safe as long as you put in a disconnect breaker on the leg you re-route. it is a great way to get power to your appliances while off grid. make sure you re-wire your distribution panel properly. I believe there are several you tube videos on the subject. this is a picture of my inverter disconnect panel on the wall of my cargo bay.

View attachment 11790
Looks good. Did you seperate the 50 amp breaker in the distribusion panel? The reason I ask the Evo 4024 manual recommends a 40 amp breaker on the line out of it.

The 5th wheel takes a 240v shore power line?
Yes 50 amp service is 240. Their are service power cord adapters that have a jumper built into them that allows it to run off of 120v service. I have not had any trouble with 20 amp service, but of course I am limited to only one of the three air conditioners at a time.

My exsisting disribution panel has six circuits with a 110 amps of breakers on each leg. Of course the main shore power breaker pops if I miss manage my power use. It is rare but it happens when I forget to turn off one of the five electric heaters when using the microwave:rolleyes:

Looks good. Did you seperate the 50 amp breaker in the distribusion panel? The reason I ask the Evo 4024 manual recommends a 40 amp breaker on the line out of it.
yes; I took L2 off of the breaker; took that power thru to the 30a disconnect/breaker that I installed; that goes in to the inverter. then the inverter output was hauled back and thru the one half of the 50a breaker.

RV 50 AMP service is 2 legs of 120 volt service L1/L2 with a potential for 240v. RV's don't use 240 devices in North America.

To OP
What brand/model of ac/dc power panel do you have?

yes; I took L2 off of the breaker; took that power thru to the 30a disconnect/breaker that I installed; that goes in to the inverter. then the inverter output was hauled back and thru the one half of the 50a breaker.
Sound good

RV 50 AMP service is 2 legs of 120 volt service L1/L2 with a potential for 240v. RV's don't use 240 devices in North America.

To OP
What brand/model of ac/dc power panel do you have?
It is a WFCO FP-01

I have another question, the manual is calling for a size #4 wire coming from the Evo 4024. If the panel is only rated for 50 amp, should I be alright with a #6 wire. That is the size of wire currently feeding the distribution panel. The Evo's output when converting is 33.33 amps. Is it possible to install a 40 amp breaker on the leg coming from the Evo 4024? I know the panel is only rated at 50 amps, but when not connected to shore power I'd like to be able to utilize the extra power for short periods when cooking with the microwave and induction cooktop.

Last edited:
I have another question, the manual is calling for a size #4 wire coming from the Evo 4024. If the panel is only rated for 50 amp, should I be alright with a #6 wire. That is the size of wire currently feeding the distribution panel. The Evo's output when converting is 33.33 amps. Is it possible to install a 40 amp breaker on the leg coming from the Evo 4024? I know the panel is only rated at 50 amps, but when not connected to shore power I'd like to be able to utilize the extra power for short periods when cooking with the microwave and induction cooktop.
Samlex wants wiring that will handle the surge potential of the inverter. Evo 4024 has max surge(power boost) of 6000w for 5 seconds. It can also run at 4400w for 30 minutes. Look at the specifications for "power boost". Catastrophic battery OCP (fuse) needs to be sized in a relational manner to the DC input requirements of the inverter surge, too.
https://www.samlexamerica.com/documents/product-specs/Samlex%20EVO%20Fe atures%20and%20Spec%20Sheet_0420.pdf

Samlex wants wiring that will handle the surge potential of the inverter. Evo 4024 has max surge(power boost) of 6000w for 5 seconds. It can also run at 4400w for 30 minutes. Look at the specifications for "power boost". Catastrophic battery OCP (fuse) needs to be sized in a relational manner to the DC input requirements of the inverter surge, too.
https://www.samlexamerica.com/documents/product-specs/Samlex%20EVO%20Fe atures%20and%20Spec%20Sheet_0420.pdf
Makes sence, I will see if # 4 will fit into the breaker and nutral lugs on the panel. Should I install a 30 amp breaker before the Evo 4024 and a 45 amp breaker coming from the Evo?

Last edited:
My Samlex EVO-4024 is wired as such
Due to my equipment & configuration, there are 2 External AC Breakers serving the Inverter (per inverter docs) :
1, Square-D QO140 40A on the L5:30 line form the generator to Inverter (Inverter is set to push 50A charge)
1, Square-D QO145 45A between the Inverter to the 120VAC Powerhouse Base Panel .

THE EVO IS CAPABLE of 12,000 W Surge !

The "Base Panel" has only two breakers, 15A for the water pump & Powerhouse / Pumphouse lights (2 6w LED's) The second is a 30A that feeds the Cabin Sub-Panel which is properly dressed for it's application. I have yet to trip a breaker !

I also use a Midnite Classic-200 Solar Controller which is amazing piece of kit and suitable for mobile as well. I will be linking another one up to it with it's own panels later this year to compensate for my short winter hours.

Diagrams of it are on my "About my System" link in my signature.

Makes sence, I will see if # 4 will fit into the breaker and nutral lugs on the panel. Should I install a 30 amp breaker before the Evo 4024 and a 45 amp breaker coming from the Evo?

Question - are you setting up a 24v battery system here? Your fifth wheel is 12v based on the panel identified. EVO 4024 needs 24v to work.

From what i read in this thread -please review the 212 pages of owners manual. The manual is very informative on stepping through the installation process for typical installs.

Yes, RV's have access issues, but they can usually be resolved with some thinking and investigation of hidden spaces in basement storage and interior.

In RV's it is important to ensure neutral bonding and ground path are properly installed. These two items are important due to the electrocution hazard. The EVO 4024 Owners Manual does outline this part of the installation.

OP - not sure proper neutral bonding is possible with your AC connection idea.

Samlex has a short white paper on the issue:
https://www.samlexamerica.com/suppo...oGroundSwitchinginRVandMarineApplications.pdf

My Samlex EVO-4024 is wired as such
Due to my equipment & configuration, there are 2 External AC Breakers serving the Inverter (per inverter docs) :
1, Square-D QO140 40A on the L5:30 line form the generator to Inverter (Inverter is set to push 50A charge)
1, Square-D QO145 45A between the Inverter to the 120VAC Powerhouse Base Panel .

THE EVO IS CAPABLE of 12,000 W Surge !

The "Base Panel" has only two breakers, 15A for the water pump & Powerhouse / Pumphouse lights (2 6w LED's) The second is a 30A that feeds the Cabin Sub-Panel which is properly dressed for it's application. I have yet to trip a breaker !

I also use a Midnite Classic-200 Solar Controller which is amazing piece of kit and suitable for mobile as well. I will be linking another one up to it with it's own panels later this year to compensate for my short winter hours.

Diagrams of it are on my "About my System" link in my signature.
Thanks, I also have the Midenite Classic charging my batteries from 1380 watts of solar. I may add another 700 watts of solar if I need it in the future.

Back