diy solar

diy solar

Samlex: Dual AC and Solar Controller inputs, BMS Controllable, Fully programmable

The EVO's can interface with a BMS nd can be turned off via relay as well (they have a port for it). The built in ATS makes like much easier and the ability to "smart program" priority modes like Batt, then grid, then genset or whichever way you want the priorities setup...… That is a NICE feature because if you go BATT-1st, Grid 2nd,, once the batts hit "threshold {you set} it can auto switch to grid, run Pass-through to your AC while charging the batteries a the same time and it is transparent, you never notice the switch over. Again the AMPS pulled in from Grid-AC and even Gen AC can be programmed so you can set the maximum of amps you are willing to pull for charging.

They are presently cooking up some 48VDC Inverter/Chargers which will be stackable, expected later this year, maybe mid summer ish…. They love to test these things to the extreme before releasing anything, so a company that is anal retentive when it comes to their products, sometimes means it takes a little longer to get product to market.

I am NOT a HAM btw but do know a few and they use EVO's without issue. I believe we have a couple of HAMS here as well using them, don't ask me who, I forget but they have posted in a thread or two in the past couple of months.

Hmm, all things to like. Let me ask you one thing. You mentioned that if the SCC is connected and you charge your bank through EVO, the fans are on about 75% of time and can get loud. In my case this inverter/charger will be about 3 meters from me in my office and I don't like too much noise when I work. If I don't use this feature and connect my SCC via BMS to the battery, then it should be pretty quiet, right? My average load will not exceed 500-600W, maybe occasionally more if I connect a bigger appliance to it. So then I would use it as an inverter and ATS, with battery priority and grid kicking in when the battery reaches selected voltage by me. This could change in the future, but for now this is how I run my system.

Also, having the charging limited to 50A, seems like these inverters were designed before the LiFePo era got "popular", I hope they raise that bar a little higher next time they re-design these. My SCC can handle 60A and yours even more, would be nice to have it simple and run it all through EVO.

You can connect an SCC to the Inverter Solar Port and that will se the circuitry within obviously. It s limited to 50A which is a bit of a pita but not bad all considered. I'm not configed to use that port, as the Classic can push 79A and does and I need to double that now, so not an option. The fans can get quite loud when they go into "turbo" mode (variable speed cooling), I suppose a sound deadening box with air in & out venting could be done....

I use these for some other things and hey are awesome ! They "may" look like cheap computer fans but they most certainly are not, high end aluminium nd ball bearings no rollers, super quiet. The Fan Controllers work great as well. Can only say GOOD THINGS about their product lines.

Noctua is another brand of quiet replacement fans. I know some guys who put them in RF amplifiers to bring the fan noise down significantly.

I will look on some ham boards for info about experience with Samlex but I know they have a good reputation.

Yes in my PC builds I only use Noctua and I replaced fans in other equipment around the house with Noctua fans, I love them. I have one still sitting in its package, ready to install in my Icom 7300 rig when the warranty runs out. Those AC Infinity look good as well.
So, regarding EVO, I just had several email exchanges with Samlex tech support and what I'm getting is that EVO is mainly an AC charger, the 2224 model handles 70A and if external input from SCC is connected, it will reduce those 70A by the amps coming from solar (50A max). So it's more like a DC assist to the main AC charger for convenience, values are programmable. Those 50A are continuous and there is a 100A shunt, so it will handle up to 100A but only up to 3 hours, this is per Samlex tech guy I was communicating with. So in theory I could use my 60A MPPT controller, as during a normal day I'm not sure I would get full 60A for more than 3 hours anyway.

Last edited:
I was VERY near pulling the trigger on one of the EVO series inverter chargers. Reading the documentation I thought they had the ability to independently stop charging or inverter ..... but the wiring for this didn't make sense .... So, i sent Samlex an email for confirmation.
It turns out, a stop signal from a BMS or relay contact puts the entire unit in standby .... and the battery charge and inverter cannot be stopped independently. They say they are considering this for an update, but cannot be done currently.

It may be possible to do this somehow with communications by setting the battery charge current to zero .... but not what I was wanting to do.

Put a relay from the BMS to the AC in of the EVO this way if battery reaches over voltage it will shut down the EVO's ac input and therefore stop charging. the same can be done if charging from SCC. this is like a $50.00 fix maybe less.

I was planning to use the EVO to control all charging current by connecting a SCC to the external charge input ...... was hoping to trip on control input to stop all charging and another to stop all inverting but still allow charging.

Also was hoping to do it with a low current control relay.

Steve,
I am seriously considering the Evo 4024 or possibly the multiplus 24/3000. I have a 2200 watt generator I would like to use to charge the battery's when there isn't sufficient sun. Do you know if the Evo adaptive charger would be able work with such a small generator without overloading it?

Steve,
I am seriously considering the Evo 4024 or possibly the multiplus 24/3000. I have a 2200 watt generator I would like to use to charge the battery's when there isn't sufficient sun. Do you know if the Evo adaptive charger would be able work with such a small generator without overloading it?
You can set the Evo to only use X amps while charging from the grid so you could set it to use 15 amps and your generator will work without issue.

Sounds good, that's what I was hoping. Time to pull the trigger and get it ordered.
Thanks

Sounds good, that's what I was hoping. Time to pull the trigger and get it ordered.
Thanks
Download the manual and get ready for a LONG READ ! The Manual is LARGE and full of hard core technical details and information you won't see the normal Inverter/Chargers come with. These are VERY Configurable and I absolutely love my EVO 4024. In fact it's so FRUGAL, I don't even bother with having powersave on because just my standby stuff uses up the energy anyways. * I am full time offgrid so...

I got the Evo 4024 ordered yesterday, and I have been reading the manual. I must say I am afraid that I may of took on more then my ability. It seems like most people just power a few outlets with their inverter. For me I think the majority of the appeal is the ability to get more current when connected to 30 amp shore power. I have a 50 amp service panel, and I am concern with power outages and draining the batteries before I realize the power is out. The park I am in now seems to have power outages a couple times a week, and I am primarily heating with electricity. Is it possible to install a alarm when shore power is out?

I got the Evo 4024 ordered yesterday, and I have been reading the manual. I must say I am afraid that I may of took on more then my ability. It seems like most people just power a few outlets with their inverter. For me I think the majority of the appeal is the ability to get more current when connected to 30 amp shore power. I have a 50 amp service panel, and I am concern with power outages and draining the batteries before I realize the power is out. The park I am in now seems to have power outages a couple times a week, and I am primarily heating with electricity. Is it possible to install a alarm when shore power is out?
It is not too difficult maybe once you get it you can post questions here. Did you buy a remote with it?

I did order the remote. It is probably what I will use to set the parameters. I was wondering Steve what you would recommend in regards to connecting my SCC to the 4024. My solar array is 1380 watts so I may give up a little output. What would you do?

I did order the remote. It is probably what I will use to set the parameters. I was wondering Steve what you would recommend in regards to connecting my SCC to the 4024. My solar array is 1380 watts so I may give up a little output. What would you do?
The ONLY way to program the Samlex Inverter is to use the RC Plus Remote.
You can only connect an SCC that will output a max of 50A, if it outputs more than that you'll have to go with separate config.

Thanks for the information. I ordered the evo plus remote, but I wasn't aware that it is the only way to program it.

The MultiPlus is very easy to configure. Use your phone and a dongle. I build solar systems by the dozen and I've really learned to appreciate the reliability and ease of use of Victron equipment.
Nice work being done here.

I just picked up a used Samlex Evo 2224 cheap. I don’t know yet if it works or not. When we put a ohmmeter on the SCC input and the battery input we got continuity. I read on this thread that there’s a 100 amp shunt in the SCC circuit. But I’m wondering if there’s anything else such as a normally closed relay or ? Looking forward to testing this inverter/charger a soon as I get another battery. Oh, I do have a 24 volt power supply but am hesitant to use it for a power up test? It’s 120 VAC input, 24 VDC output, 960 watt. Has anyone used a power supply for a basic test of a inverter? Thanks, this is my first post.

Back