diy solar

diy solar

Samlex Inverter pin type lugs

robstrom

As per Will's template, my components are being mounted on a board, to be wall mounted in trailer.
His layout has a number of connections via the inverter +-.
The Samlex has no post.
The wire plugs in, just like a charge controller.
Can I simply build a short wire, with a ring terminal to give more attachment options?

Can I simply build a short wire, with a ring terminal to give more attachment options?
Yes.

In some of Will's minimalist system videos he makes multiple connections at the inverter posts for convenience and to keep the topology simple. If you look at his blueprints you'll see alternative topologies.

In your case, you could substitute busbars (example) or power posts (example) for the inverter terminals if you want to duplicate whatever template you're following. So your short inverter wire with ring terminal would just connect to the busbar/power post and you're all set.

If you have a relatively long wire from battery to inverter, at the moment a load shuts off voltage at the inverter might spike high briefly.
Sometimes that causes a charge controller to disconnect due to apparent battery over-voltage.
If your wires are long you might want run separate wires from SCC to battery.
All wires should be fused near the battery, fuse size according to wire gauge.

Yes.

In some of Will's minimalist system videos he makes multiple connections at the inverter posts for convenience and to keep the topology simple. If you look at his blueprints you'll see alternative topologies.

In your case, you could substitute busbars (example) or power posts (example) for the inverter terminals if you want to duplicate whatever template you're following. So your short inverter wire with ring terminal would just connect to the busbar/power post and you're all set.
Thanks, I found just that (the power posts, they call terminal blocks) at the local supply house!!

If you have a relatively long wire from battery to inverter, at the moment a load shuts off voltage at the inverter might spike high briefly.
Sometimes that causes a charge controller to disconnect due to apparent battery over-voltage.
If your wires are long you might want run separate wires from SCC to battery.
All wires should be fused near the battery, fuse size according to wire gauge.
39 inches.

Question 2:
On the inverter (and my EpEver charge controller), bare wire goes in and threaded piece screws down to tighten wire in place.
Should I be stripping wire to tighten down on bare strands or the insulating jacket?
It came loose from bare wire, just during assembly.
Mashed it down, n slipped out

Obviously contact of metal terminal has to be against bare wire.
Minimizing how far out bare wire extends will reduce chances of something shorting to it.
If there is a strain relief clamp, that would hold the insulating jacket.

I find that even when using a torque wrench on set screw holding wire, after some wiggling the wire strands become loose. What I do now is wiggle and re-torque repeatedly until it stops settling. The proper torque according to specs tends to be fairly low.
Pull-testing is good to make sure wire is secure, and isn't actually outside the screw terminal as sometimes happens.

Back