diy solar

diy solar

Sandbox The LifePo4's

Smokin

The Idea is to get a Tub and put sand in like 4 inches and place the 300ah cells evenly spaced and pack sand around them and use cables "NOT BARS" and hook and then put a layer of sand on top. This sand should be clean like Play Sand you can get. The Batteries go outside and a Water systen can be employed to cool the pack when it goes exothermal . Need a vent stack. to vent the smoke. Someone should test this concept on LMC cells. YEAH?????..

I think if you burn a standard cell under sand the danger will be reduced to a managable level. Except for the fumes.

If you have LiFePO4 cells, you should really compress them or at least contain them from expanding. Loosely packed does not sound like it would prevent any bloating.
I do like the idea of having these in sand.
Someone else suggested having a sand bag overhead, that would open when burned or melted was a sound idea too.

Now you're just cracking me up with these steampunk safety methods. :)

Just got my can of top-balance spray in today - now in a convenient 24-ounce size for those large banks!

Sounds a little ridiculous.
Just use a good BMS and use conservative charge/discharge settings with your inverter.
Putting a smoke alarm above the batteries is a good idea.
LifeP04 batteries tend to melt more than create a blaze. Keep flammable stuff away from them.

If you have LiFePO4 cells, you should really compress them or at least contain them from expanding. Loosely packed does not sound like it would prevent any bloating.
I do like the idea of having these in sand.
Someone else suggested having a sand bag overhead, that would open when burned or melted was a sound idea too.
I’m designing up an off grid 325W system to supply 70 W to an LED sign. I have 2 100Ah LiFeO4 batteries and have just over 1/2” gap between the batteries and the cabinet. Will that be enough from your experience to compensate from the bloating you are referring to?

Back