diy solar

diy solar

SCC for 5kW PV (5-600V) to 48V battery

mrzed001

Voice of reason
Hi !

I am planning a grid-tie and an UPS system.

- The grid-tie 5kW, 15 panel 350W serial (all 40Voc ... so together 600V) with Fronius or SolarEdge or other utility allowed inverter. (no hybrid inverter allowed)
- UPS with MPP Solar inverter and 16x LiFePO4 cells 3,2V 280Ah (48V)
- SCC that can handle high PV like the grid-tie inverter and charge the battery with it

If a blackout happens the grid-tie inverter stops working.
I plan to switch the PV power line from the grid-tie inverter to SCC (manually).

So I am searching for a SCC which can handle the high PV power and charge the 48V battery with it
And if battery is full then stops charging it.

( I could use an MPP Hybrid MPI 5kW inverter to charge the battery OffGrid mode (its MPPT can handle the high PV volt), but it is too expensive for this simple task )

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

The combination of high voltage PV and low voltage battery is going to make your life difficult trying to get a stand alone MPPT charger in the cheap price range. Try wading around alibaba and aliexpress is probably your best bet.

I found this 300V / 48V unit within minutes, but obviously not suitable for Voc 600.

@mrzed001 did you figure out what you will be using? I'm in exact same boat with two 2.6KW arrays (10 KU265 panels on each) that will be over 600ft away with aluminum 2AWG running to them.

You can't get a "cheap" SCC when you are dealing with that amount of amps and that high of voltage.

If it is under 4-500V then an MPP Solar inverter
MGX: 450Voc
GK: 500Voc
hybrid: 900Voc

I think in your case a GK is enough. Has 2 strings I think. Like 600$ and all your problems are solved.

In my case 1 string 800V ... only the hybrid can do it, and that costs 4x the GK.

Back