diy solar

diy solar

SCC Mount location for DIY portable generator

mrpizza

Good Morning,

I am in the process of building a DIY portable generator. I am using a renogy wanderer 30A pwm controller and a single 100W panel. My question is where I can mount the SCC. I am using a Milwaukee packout box to hold everything. Can I mount the SCC inside the box attached to the lid? Or do I need to mount it outside the box on the lid or side?

I only have 100w panel for now to charge it. I might increase it to two 100w panels in the future.

I found when my SCC on my portable generator is left in the sun it gets too hot and throttles back output by 25%. I cover with a piece of plywood and it’s fine. I would avoid the outside, or cover with something if it is on the oitside.

Where you mount Really depends on spacing. I would put everything inside, but have a plan to ventilate and shade. I have mine in a crate that allows air circulation

A 12 volt system would need 400 to 600 watts of panels to max out a 30 amp controller. A 24 volt system would need twice that.

This box will either be inside the tent or otherwise shaded. I guess if I mount the controller inside the box I could just crack open the lid to ventilate when charging. I am using a 35ah agm gel battery. (Mighty Max brand)

I don't like not being able to see the indicator lights on the SCC if I mount it internal but I will have a voltmeter so I can determine state of charge.

This box is for running a cpap and charging phones/flashlights when camping, which we do a lot of. I went with a bigger box so I can upgrade to a bigger battery in the future, or parallel a second 35ah battery in there.

I recommend checking the charge rate for your battery. The FLA batteries I dealt with were 10%. Gels May be higher, but the spec sheet will say. One 100 watt panel could reach 6 charging amps. I’m not sure what happens if too many amps are pushed in during charging.

From their website it has a table that says Charge (Constant Voltage) Float: 13.38-13.68 Cycle: 14.28-14.52 Max Current 10.5A

Well, I mounted it on the underside of the lid. Worked out nicely. I have some ventilation to install on the box and it should be good.

I am prepared to install a temperature activated case fan also if I find its needed. Ill get some pictures up later.

I also found that the renogy controller remembers the battery setting if power is cycled off. Now I know I can just pull my battery fuse when not in use and then I wont have the draw from the controller, although I will keep it on a float charger when not in use.

Back