diy solar

diy solar

SCC settings for 100ah lithium battery

Tripitaka

Hello,

I’ve just picked up a VoltaX 12v 100ah lithium battery and will be charging it while camping with 160watt folding solar panels and an EPSolar VS2024BN charge controller. I’ve read through a few forums looking at settings for my SCC as it doesn’t have a native LifePO4 option. The data sheet for these batteries is a little sparse.

These are the settings I’ve settled on. Is there anything that needs adjusting? There are a few settings I couldn’t adjust any lower which I will highlight.

Temp Compensate: 0
Over Volt Disc: 15.7 (lowest I could set and 15.6 was recommended)
Charge limit: 14.7 (lowest I could set and 14.6 is the recommended voltage)
Over Volt Rect: 14.7
Equal Chrg: 0
Boost Chrg: 14.5
Float Chrg: 13.4 (13.2 recommended but Voltax specifies 13.4 – 13.6)
Boost V. Rect: 13.2
Low V Rect: 12.8
Under V Rect: 12.8
Under V Warn: 12.0
Low V Disc: 11.1
Discharge LMT: 10.6

Will a charge limit of 14.7 damage the battery? It will be housed in an Engel battery box and powering a Waeco fridge via anderson plug and a few electronic devices via usb/inverter. I’m pretty new to battery and solar setups.

Thanks in advance for your input.

14.7v is over what most LiFePO4 batteries should be charged to. 14.6v is the usual limit.
The question is what are the BMS cut offs on his Voltax battery?
The high voltage disconnect on Battle Born is 14.7V

charge limit of 14.7 damage the battery?
The Epever boost target voltage, that you set to 14.5, is the voltage that the unit charges to. It then enters an absorption stage , constant voltage , default 2 hours. Programming this to a shorter period would be useful.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't see a setting to adjust the time of the absorption and constant voltage stages but I'll have another look.
So should I set the boost target to 14.6 or keep in under the rated voltage to preserve battery life?

constant voltage stages
This is the boost charge voltage that you set to 14.5, once the voltage reaches this level the controller holds the volts constant. The absorption period is called 'boost duration', sorry I did not explain too well. Epever use different terminology to other controllers.

The controller works as follows, when it wakes up it takes maximum power from the panels and puts charge into the battery, when the battery voltage reaches the 'boost charge level' (14.5 volts in your example), it holds the voltage steady for the 'boost duration'. It then drops the voltage to 'float voltage'.
If the electrical load on the battery drops the voltage below 'boost reconnect charging voltage' then the charger re enters charging at the maximum power from the panels.

Mike

Back