diy solar

diy solar

SCE Net Metering

addision

I am in Southern California and I have SCE for my utility. I am trying to decide on equipment for a purchase and I want a hybrid system with battery and net-metering.

Are those of you that are creating your own systems only choosing equipment from the approve list? If not and you are doing your own thing, like building your own battery packs, don't you have to get those inspected? How are you dealing with approved lists of equipment for grid-tie?

Years ago I did grid-tie with PG&E and got CEC rebate. I had to use inverter and panels on CEC list, and PG&E required a visible blade disconnect.
Today, should just be inverter with UL-1741SA listing of whatever revision code requires, and UL listed panels, probably with rapid shutdown boxes. Possibly no disconnect is required; PG&E would in that case unplug our meter to isolate.
Not sure the rules on batteries. I have SunXtender AGM which are UL recognized. Some lithium are UL listed systems. Anything DIY I think would be a problem for permits.

If you get a hybrid that can operate batteryless, that could get you through inspection. Or, connect a minimal AGM bank.

If you get a grid-tie PV inverter with frequency-watts feature, you can later add a battery inverter and AC couple them. That's how my Sunny Boy and Sunny Island work together. Several other brands of battery inverter support this.

You want a battery - is that for backup during occasional grid failures? Or to store power off-peak to use (or backfeed) during peak rates? Have you run numbers to determine if batteries are a financial benefit?

With battery tech increasing and cost falling I want to plan for the future. I think in another 5-7 years it could be worth it.

I would like to just get a system in and then add more components later. But unlike other jurisdictions, California wants you to get approval to change components or add capacity.

That is why I am wondering how people are getting away with building their own equipment. Are they just doing it and disregarding the rules or do they live in a state that does not care.

I usually do what I want at my house. But that changes a little when it comes to electricity and house fires.

the last thing I need is a fire for some reason (high fire area) and my insurance company blaming me for unapproved equipment. I don’t even know if that happens, but it’s what I think about.

We are allowed to replace existing equipment. We can install an inverter something like 10% or 1kW larger without a new connection agreement.

The wattage you're allowed to install may be limited to either something based on consumption history, estimate for new construction, or a standard size typical for homes. If you have a load such as pool pump that you normally operate only some hours, you can crank up the consumption for one billing cycle.

When it comes to the wattage actually installed, maybe you can say you put in more than you actually did up front? Inspector may not care if final system size is smaller. Don't know if utility guy will count panels. Nameplate wattage of inverter is probably the main thing he considers.

Typically a system has all panels facing one orientation, so production ranges from 2 hours to 7 hours effective sun in various seasons. By paralleling two PV strings of different orientations, you can over-panel to 140% without clipping. That assumes 90 degree angle, 6 hours, between them. So 140% more watt hours per day from same inverter. Further over-paneling can be OK but will clip production during some seasons and hours.

You can put in grid-tie inverters which have Rule-21 frequency-watts. That should be many/most these days including SMA Sunny Boy, Enphase, and others. My system began with Sunny Boy SWR2500, but those didn't support the feature so I swapped for later (not current, not Rule-21) models which do have frequency-watts.

With such grid-tie inverters you will be able to later wire them through a battery inverter (Sunny Island, etc.). Not the cheapest system, but works well for me. Low priced hybrids would be cheaper. Another option is adding a Power Wall or Sunny Boy Storage (with external 400V battery). That gives you peak shifting but not battery backup. Adding a transfer switch and auto-transformer (e.g. SMA Automatic Backup Unit) works with Sunny Boy Storage and Sunny Boy for grid-backup.

The Sunny Boy Storage inverter is economical ($2500) and ABU is about $3500. The battery, available many sizes, is expensive but UL listed. These also have limited surge power for starting motors (9kW). For all these reasons I prefer a low-frequency 48V battery inverter.

If you only want backup during occasional power failures, not shifting peaks of utility consumption every day, a small UL Recognized AGM battery can work, costing $1250 to $5000. Battery provides surge to start big loads like A/C, and while the sun shines 100% of PV is available to run them. Or wait until UL Listed commercial lithium batteries are cheap and safe.

You can have some batteryless backup. If you put in a 7.7kW Sunny Boy with 10kW of PV panels, it offers manually enabled "Secure Power" of 120V 2000W on a dedicated outlet. That should run refrigerator and the like enough hours per day.

Separate UPS should take care of VOIP phone etc.

Back