diy solar

diy solar

Schneider 100A, 600vdc MPPT charge controller breaker questions

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
I need some advice on the current ratings for these breakers.
The vendor I bought the equipment from has no idea.
The issue is that I have a Schneider 100A, 600vdc MPPT charge controller.
This seems to be a new Schneider product, probably why they don’t know anything about it.

The Schneider documentation is not up to date, all they have is the listing for the old 80A, 600vdc and 60A 150vdc charge controllers.

The installation manual has the PV array + routed through a breaker, and the DC battery output routed through another breaker.
breakersinslots1-2.png
I know the breaker for the PV must be 600vdc, not sure about the amp rating to look for.
Do I use the “Maximum Permissible Array Short Circuit Current at STC”? (35A)
So possibly a 35A, 600vdc breaker?

For the battery charging breaker Schneider shows a 100A, 125vdc breaker for the smaller 80-600 MPPT charge controller.
So possibly a 125A, 125vdc breaker would be OK for the 100-600 model I have?
schneider_breakers_for_smaller80-600.png
Schneider MPPT 100-600 electrical specs.png

If your MPPT can output 100 amps, putting in a 100 amp circuit breaker on the output side is probably undersized. You want something that isn't going to trip if the MPPT really gets going and outputs the full 100 amps. The fudge factor that I've seen used is 25%, so a 125 amp circuit breaker is what you want.

Follow the same rule on the PV input side.

Thanks, I ordered a 125A for the battery connection.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 14.22.34.png

No searching thus far has found a 35A, 600vdc panel mount, single pole breaker for the PV side, however.
Seems odd.

No searching thus far has found a 35A, 600vdc panel mount, single pole breaker for the PV side, however.
Seems odd.

In that case, go up to the next available amp rating. As long as the jump isn't too much. Maybe a breaker of that form factor is available from another manufacturer?

I know the breaker for the PV must be 600vdc, not sure about the amp rating to look for.
Do I use the “Maximum Permissible Array Short Circuit Current at STC”? (35A)
So possibly a 35A, 600vdc breaker?

I've looked at this before. The manual actually states use of a disconnect on the PV side, not a breaker. They even spec out the model. The PV input for the 80 and 100 controllers are not meant to be routed through the PDP. Only the MPPT 60 gets routed through the PDP.

On edit, btw you want a disconnect that disconnects both positive and negative.

pg 32

Last edited:
Back