diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Conext XW Pro 6848

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Seems like the Schneider inverters don't get much air time here. They are not expensive, output split phase, UL 1741-SA listed. Is there anything wrong with them? They seem to have great surge power also for AC's, well pumps, etc. Understand you need a separate charge controller, but doesn't seem terrible.

I have looked at them and have seen a few thread on them. I don't recall anyone knocking them.

I installed a Schneider XW Pro 6848 inverter, and related charge controller & accessories earlier this year.
First time for such a big DIY project.
Just wanted “plug & play”, not interested in buying different pieces & parts from different manufacturers and then trying to figure out how to make it all work together.
The hardware has been amazing. Rock solid, does everything I need.
The software is a big learning curve (for me), and w/o this forum’s help, I would never have figured out some of the configuration subtleties.
I have contacted Schneider tech support a few times, they were responsive, but can only answer specific questions, and I don’t always know enough to be able to phrase a viable question.

For example, I upgraded the inverter firmware, and the buttons and display stopped working for some functions. Opened a ticket w/ support, they sent me a new inverter.
New inverter had the same firmware level I upgraded to, behaved the same way.
So the missing functions are a feature, not a bug, but tech support did not know “version 1.11 turns off the battery display and de-activates the on/off button).
The documentation is very good, but it expects that the reader is a factory trained tech, so there is no detail on configuration, the forum helped me figure out some of it, experimenting on my own also provided more education.

The XW is more or less the defacto inverter standard. The history of these units goes back years and years. I still have a functioning trace 4024 on a shelf. The XWs are rock solid. The only way you can kill them is lightening or if you perform lots of generator cut outs where you cut off generator input under load. Note that I'm not talking about the SW series.

I think the primary reason they don't get much attention here is lack of ability to integrate with a BMS. This is changing, but really really slow.

Thanks for your feedback. This inverter seems like a great option with surge for well pump as well as just set it and forget it. Seems to be a solid work horse.

I've spoken before about my Schneider equipment: Conext SW4024 inverter/charger, XW-MPPT60-150 solar charge controller, and XW/SW SCP System Control Panel.

On the one hand, the hardware is built like a tank and engineered very well. I have a 1/2 HP well pump with large inrush current, but the inverter handles it with hardly any strain. I've had a minor problem with the inverter/charger cutting out every few seconds when running off of a generator, but after lots of research on the web and trying a few configuration changes, that problem seems to have gone away.

My only main problem with Schneider is that they made a decision some years ago that they were shift their business to really focus on professional installers. This has had two bad side-effects. First, if you ever do have a problem, it is next to impossible to get any help from Schneider. Second, consumer-friendly things like Bluetooth control & monitoring may never make the cut with Schneider. They do provide remote control and monitoring, but the emphasis is on remote monitoring by - you guessed it - the professional installer that you continue to pay to check up on your system from his couch. If you don't have Internet or don't want to pay a professional, monitoring is possible but is clearly the exception to how Schneider intends it.

W
I've spoken before about my Schneider equipment: Conext SW4024 inverter/charger, XW-MPPT60-150 solar charge controller, and XW/SW SCP System Control Panel.

On the one hand, the hardware is built like a tank and engineered very well. I have a 1/2 HP well pump with large inrush current, but the inverter handles it with hardly any strain. I've had a minor problem with the inverter/charger cutting out every few seconds when running off of a generator, but after lots of research on the web and trying a few configuration changes, that problem seems to have gone away.

My only main problem with Schneider is that they made a decision some years ago that they were shift their business to really focus on professional installers. This has had two bad side-effects. First, if you ever do have a problem, it is next to impossible to get any help from Schneider. Second, consumer-friendly things like Bluetooth control & monitoring may never make the cut with Schneider. They do provide remote control and monitoring, but the emphasis is on remote monitoring by - you guessed it - the professional installer that you continue to pay to check up on your system from his couch. If you don't have Internet or don't want to pay a professional, monitoring is possible but is clearly the exception to how Schneider intends it.
@Horsefly Glad you responded as I was about to start getting some quotes on the product. Very disappointing to hear. Damn, so I'm still stuck with a well pump that will need power for emergency use only until I get enough solar/battery. I guess I'm back to the Outback Radian. Any other options out there? Looking for one with all the Certs.

They are not sexy like the all-in-one units like everyone sells. But they are based on the solid as a rock Trace series they bought out. I still have two Trace SW4024 on the shelf that work great after being online for 15 years. The only reason I didn't reuse them when I moved, is that I wanted a 48v system.

Schneider and Outback are the few brands that I would trust for remote off-grid living where it has to work. They both have a proven history of working for 20+ years.

@ChrisG - I don't want to completely talk you out of Schneider. It is very good, rock solid stuff. I just wanted you to know that their emphasis is not on us DIYers. Also, the fact that you are looking at the XW Pro somewhat mitigates my issues. That is one of the professional-level products, and so it gets a bit more attention.

ChrisG: Opinions only......I'm looking at all these units myself, and have been utterly frustrated. Schneider does make good, solid equipment. I've had cause to get on the phone with their tech support people for other equipment, and it can be an incredibly frustrating event. The last time, it was a 3 hour session. Most of the people I got on the phone were obviously reading from a script, and literally did not know what they were talking about.

I've had great experiences with people like Midnite Solar, Morningstar, SolArk, etc. Reasonably good experiences with people like Northern AZ Wind and Sun. It all seems to boil down to whether or not they even have people for you to talk to, their experience level, and their willingness to divulge information.

I've also looked into equipment like Studer, Victron, etc but very little of that can be installed where the AHJ demands UL listing. Right now, I'm focusing on Fronius, Outback, and SMA for the above reasons.

In my opinion, this situation is just made worse by the rise of "influencers" who get paid about 10% every time you buy a product they are linked to. Of course, Will Prowse is one too. He has done quite well for himself, and does provide value. But many companies are getting rid of technical/support/sales/marketing people and replacing them with "influencers". After all, it is in their best interests, in a short-sighted warped sense of reality to provide an inferior product made as cheaply as possible, and then "force" you to throw it away when it goes bad, and just replace it with another. The companies who try to offer a better product with support are inundated with calls from people who will take up all their time, and then order something on Amazon to save a few bucks. And then Amazon just credits the "influencers" another 10%.........

Owners of companies in this industry have told me directly that they just cannot hire qualified people, or get parts, etc. It is a serious problem. I don't blame people like Schneider for relying on installers. Of course, can you then rely on that person being in business very long? There are people on this forum who are quite knowledgeable, and they can be a big help. I'd prefer to buy good equipment, and then be able to get someone on the phone when you need them.

@Horsefly @SolarPrep , Thanks for all the input. I've read much more on the Conext XW Pro product and the theme seems to be the same...great product and will run forever, but poor support and lack of remote monitoring. For just a little more, I'm seriously thinking about the Radian series as I need the surge for a well pump. Still evaluating products overall and reading a lot. Whatever I get, I'm thinking of having two units to run in parallel or at the minimum one as a backup in the event of failure.

My Conext 6848 remote access works fine, just need to have an Internet connection, and the related SW & HW to do it.
When we are away from home, I can monitor the system and change the configuration.

Last edited:
My Conext 6848 remote access works fine, just need to have an Internet connection, and the related SW & HW to do it.
When we are away from home, I can monitor the system and change the configuration.

@pvdude I consider myself quite technical and innovative. Do most things myself at my main home and cabin, including electrical. I like the benefits of Conext. If I get the right parts, thoughts on me setting this up myself and do remote monitoring?

You will have a fun project, I carefully followed the factory documentation, the only problem I had was wiring the battery monitor to the shunt backwards (Gary, forum wizard here, found that), and I bought the newly released MPPT 100A 600VDC charge controller, and missed the sentence "Does not work with older Conext XW Pro firmware", so after upgrading the FW, all was well.

I bought one of these with my system:

It is plugged into the Xanbus to communicate with all the Conext devices, and the Ethernet switch for remote access/cloud services.

I probably would not buy the gateway now, as the newer products listed below seem do the same thing and cost less.
Also, I found out that the WIFI feature is mostly useless, as it can only be configured as a server type AP, and thus I could not find a way to join it to the house Ubiquity WIFi net.
The equipment is installed in a separate building, 200ft from the house. Too far for the gateway WIFI, for access I would have to go to the building to obtain a WIFI connection.
If your equipment is in your house, the gateway WIFI would be OK for local access. Can’t see how remote access would work w/o plugging the hardware Ethernet gateway connection into the house net.

I just used the hardwired Ethernet connection instead, and shut off the gateway WIFI.

Thought I'd pipe in here, since I just completed a full install with (2) XW Pro 6848 inverters plus 2 MPPT60 150 charge controllers, fed with a 1000 VA 48v LiFePO4 bank with (10) parallel strings protected by Daly smart BMS's. You may recall I was on here a couple months ago, having had a nightmare with the Growatt product, I went through 7 inverters trying to get 4 to play nice together without blowing up. My max was 48 hours between blow ups. As bad as the Growatt stuff is junk, I can't say enough good about this Schneider product. I'm amazed and smiling. They made me a dealer, so I did get some decent pricing (I'll be pushing some of these in my United Nations PV solar projects where I can). I'm still fine tuning to get max out of the PV solar, back feeding what we don't use, so I'll be posting some questions in the next few days. The product support is super, they get back to you fairly quickly. Documentation is superb. And the Insight monitoring device is totally amazing, they put a fast processor in it, and the built in software package is extremely intuitive and well done. I could do blackflips I'm so happy with this, after the Growatt debacle.

You will have a fun project, I carefully followed the factory documentation, the only problem I had was wiring the battery monitor to the shunt backwards (Gary, forum wizard here, found that), and I bought the newly released MPPT 100A 600VDC charge controller, and missed the sentence "Does not work with older Conext XW Pro firmware", so after upgrading the FW, all was well.

I bought one of these with my system:

It is plugged into the Xanbus to communicate with all the Conext devices, and the Ethernet switch for remote access/cloud services.

I probably would not buy the gateway now, as the newer products listed below seem do the same thing and cost less.
Also, I found out that the WIFI feature is mostly useless, as it can only be configured as a server type AP, and thus I could not find a way to join it to the house Ubiquity WIFi net.
The equipment is installed in a separate building, 200ft from the house. Too far for the gateway WIFI, for access I would have to go to the building to obtain a WIFI connection.
If your equipment is in your house, the gateway WIFI would be OK for local access. Can’t see how remote access would work w/o plugging the hardware Ethernet gateway connection into the house net.

I just used the hardwired Ethernet connection instead, and shut off the gateway WIFI.

I did have a new Gateway, they're junk insofar as I can tell. It was slow, never worked right, and Schneider had me send a photo, and had a brand new Insight Facility upgraded wifi product to me in like a week, no charge. I understand they had lots of issues. This new product is freaking amazing. The wifi works fine as well. Not sure of the range, my distance isn't that great, but it works super here. I can connect from the cloud anywhere, from my laptop, phone or tablet, as well as direct to its IP address on the local network here. Awesome sauce.

@pvdude I consider myself quite technical and innovative. Do most things myself at my main home and cabin, including electrical. I like the benefits of Conext. If I get the right parts, thoughts on me setting this up myself and do remote monitoring?
Yes. Cloud connection works great.

@Horsefly @SolarPrep , Thanks for all the input. I've read much more on the Conext XW Pro product and the theme seems to be the same...great product and will run forever, but poor support and lack of remote monitoring. For just a little more, I'm seriously thinking about the Radian series as I need the surge for a well pump. Still evaluating products overall and reading a lot. Whatever I get, I'm thinking of having two units to run in parallel or at the minimum one as a backup in the event of failure.
Not sure what you mean, the remote monitoring through the (old Gateway) new Insight Home or Insight Facility is superb. Wifi, local ethernet, and cloud interfacing from anywhere in the world.

ChrisG: Opinions only......I'm looking at all these units myself, and have been utterly frustrated. Schneider does make good, solid equipment. I've had cause to get on the phone with their tech support people for other equipment, and it can be an incredibly frustrating event. The last time, it was a 3 hour session. Most of the people I got on the phone were obviously reading from a script, and literally did not know what they were talking about.

I've had great experiences with people like Midnite Solar, Morningstar, SolArk, etc. Reasonably good experiences with people like Northern AZ Wind and Sun. It all seems to boil down to whether or not they even have people for you to talk to, their experience level, and their willingness to divulge information.

I've also looked into equipment like Studer, Victron, etc but very little of that can be installed where the AHJ demands UL listing. Right now, I'm focusing on Fronius, Outback, and SMA for the above reasons.

In my opinion, this situation is just made worse by the rise of "influencers" who get paid about 10% every time you buy a product they are linked to. Of course, Will Prowse is one too. He has done quite well for himself, and does provide value. But many companies are getting rid of technical/support/sales/marketing people and replacing them with "influencers". After all, it is in their best interests, in a short-sighted warped sense of reality to provide an inferior product made as cheaply as possible, and then "force" you to throw it away when it goes bad, and just replace it with another. The companies who try to offer a better product with support are inundated with calls from people who will take up all their time, and then order something on Amazon to save a few bucks. And then Amazon just credits the "influencers" another 10%.........

Owners of companies in this industry have told me directly that they just cannot hire qualified people, or get parts, etc. It is a serious problem. I don't blame people like Schneider for relying on installers. Of course, can you then rely on that person being in business very long? There are people on this forum who are quite knowledgeable, and they can be a big help. I'd prefer to buy good equipment, and then be able to get someone on the phone when you need them.
I totally agree. I relied a bit on a couple influencers (Prowse being one) to choose Growatt product. That was a major mistake on my part. Growatt is as bad as any of the other cloned crap manufacturers. The company is typical sh&t China, the sell poorly designed crap, offer little to no documentation, almost zero customer support, blame the customer when it breaks, and offer no replacement parts much less repair the item. To get one board, I had to pay the shipping from China to even get them to let one loose, where really 3 were needed. They just told me to go pound sand. Thank goodness for Amazon free returns!!!! I'd recommend avoiding anything from China, from what I've witnessed. Lost 6 months screwing around on this project, when it could have been done in less than 6 weeks had I chosen Schneider in the first place.

Back