diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Conext XW Pro 6848

Check out https://ctlsys.com/products/. This will apparently let you setup for zero-export/sell.

I skipped the SCP and just use Insight (Facility).
Watched a few videos on the wattnode. Anyone here actually using it? Not planning on interconnect agreement due to complexities so have to make sure there is no leakage back to grid.

The (+) will not back feed the grid unless YOU set it to do so even with grid connections made. It can also use grid assistance.

I've found both Facility and Home wifi are so weak, you pretty much have to be in the same room to use them. SCP is nice in the event you lose power and you don't have a wifi device to connect to Facility or Home. Another thing is sometimes there is some flaky behavior with changing settings on Facility/Home (perhaps lost on the network). But, you can use the SCP to verify/change those same settings. I've also had a Facility device die on me. I now have the Home. Having both SCP and Facility/Home is a matter of redundancy.

Facility/Home provides remote connectivity, data visualization, and being able to get alerts via Insight cloud. There's good arguments to have those devices along with an SCP.

I have my system configured for "no sell", but have "Grid Support" enabled.
The inverter uses power from the grid when the load requires more than the PV can supply, works great.
I noticed a tiny amount of leakage (Wh) into the grid, contacted Schneider about it, they said
it was normal.
I sent an EM to the wattnode company, they said it was a Schneider issue, nothing their product could do about it.
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 08.21.18.png
5.4kw_6.3kw.png

I really wanted one of these for my off grid place. I know people who have them and love them, but they were all professionally installed and supported. For a remote off grid place that I need to be able to support myself, it just wasn't an option. I think Schneider's decision to not support DIY effectively locks them out of a lot of real off grid applications. I went with Sol Ark, the setup was a breeze and it has been working perfectly for me so far. I love that I know every tiny aspect of the installation and can troubleshoot it myself. Schneider is a huge company that supports the commercial market, so I'm not surprised they made that decision. Sol Ark has a really nice niche in that they cater to DIY, are US based and have great support. Like everything, it has it's trade offs. The way things are going, the market will be completely different in 5 years..

I really wanted one of these for my off grid place. I know people who have them and love them, but they were all professionally installed and supported. For a remote off grid place that I need to be able to support myself, it just wasn't an option. I think Schneider's decision to not support DIY effectively locks them out of a lot of real off grid applications. I went with Sol Ark, the setup was a breeze and it has been working perfectly for me so far. I love that I know every tiny aspect of the installation and can troubleshoot it myself. Schneider is a huge company that supports the commercial market, so I'm not surprised they made that decision. Sol Ark has a really nice niche in that they cater to DIY, are US based and have great support. Like everything, it has it's trade offs. The way things are going, the market will be completely different in 5 years..
Solark is nice with how it easily connects. It doesn’t have the surge watts needed (12k at least) for my well pump based on my research of just battery power at night for example. The Schneider and outback’s have no issue with it. Not sure where Outback is going with Mojave so I’m going the Schneider route.

I have my system configured for "no sell", but have "Grid Support" enabled.
The inverter uses power from the grid when the load requires more than the PV can supply, works great.
I noticed a tiny amount of leakage (Wh) into the grid, contacted Schneider about it, they said
it was normal.
I sent an EM to the wattnode company, they said it was a Schneider issue, nothing their product could do about it.
View attachment 98672
View attachment 98671
@pvdude do you have an interconnect agreement in place? 12Wh a week doesn’t seem like much. Guess I need to see how much my loads panel takes which will need grid support at times and see what PV is left over on average that can go back to main in the future. Asssume until then I can just use grid support without sending any back to main meanaing is there a setting to ‘yes’ use grid to support and charge batteries but never push back via AC input?

Solark is nice with how it easily connects. It doesn’t have the surge watts needed (12k at least) for my well pump based on my research of just battery power at night for example. The Schneider and outback’s have no issue with it. Not sure where Outback is going with Mojave so I’m going the Schneider route
I had the same concern, but it turned out to unwarranted. I have 240 volt 500 foot well with a 3/4 hp pump. The Sol Ark 12k handles it like a champ..

I had the same concern, but it turned out to unwarranted. I have 240 volt 500 foot well with a 3/4 hp pump. The Sol Ark 12k handles it like a champ..
@mvonw wow, very similar characteristics of mine. 3/4hp, 700ft. 37a 240v (~9000w) inrush. I thought the max SolArk could do on battery alone with no PV and no grid was around 9k which left no room for anything else.

@mvonw wow, very similar characteristics of mine. 3/4hp, 700ft. 37a 240v (~9000w) inrush. I thought the max SolArk could do on battery alone with no PV and no grid was around 9k which left no room for anything else.
I'm running 100% on batteries (6 server rack batteries) at night and it works great. I measured my pump and it draws about 28 amps at startup. It used to sag a little on my Honda 6500 watt generator, but the Sol Ark seems to be happy. Have you actually measured your surge current? It varies a lot with pump ratings (gpm ratings etc). You might want to talk to your well driller if a soft start controller would work. I was going to install a Grundfos softstart ac/dc pump, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

I think Schneider's decision to not support DIY effectively locks them out of a lot of real off grid applications.
I've had 3 support email strings with Schneider and one prior to purchase.
They do support DIY installs.

I don't expect them to hold your hand through the install and will send pages from the manuals to answer questions. But my experience they do support self installation.

Just wanted to weigh in here. I've had my xw pro 6848 in service for about 2 years. Never one issue with the inverter, handles all loads no matter the leg imbalance. Starts air compressors, runs welders, runs my 450ft 240v well pump- never a hiccup.

Schneider tech support has always been great and they have gone above and beyond what's expected every time i have dealt with them. They also have a specific home solar website now and i believe they have invested more into their tech dept in the past couple years.

My dad has also run the exact same inverter for about 1.5 years now with zero issues.

I self installed everything on both systems and Schneider has always been great about helping me one on one with any setup issues i had.

I wanted an inverter that i could depend on and the platform and history behind this inverter are legendary. Quiet for indoor use. Super efficient. They aren't cheap but they are built like a tank and their reputation for reliability is second to none. I couldn't be happier with my xw pro 6848.

I'm running 100% on batteries (6 server rack batteries) at night and it works great. I measured my pump and it draws about 28 amps at startup. It used to sag a little on my Honda 6500 watt generator, but the Sol Ark seems to be happy. Have you actually measured your surge current? It varies a lot with pump ratings (gpm ratings etc). You might want to talk to your well driller if a soft start controller would work. I was going to install a Grundfos softstart ac/dc pump, but it turned out to be unnecessary.
Yes, I measured inrush with a meter at the breaker which was 37a. This pump was put in by the previous owner just over a year ago so I’m not going to change it out. I tried running it with a Honda 7000is and a Predator 9000 inverter/generator and neither could get it to kick on. They tried like hell though.

Just wanted to weigh in here. I've had my xw pro 6848 in service for about 2 years. Never one issue with the inverter, handles all loads no matter the leg imbalance. Starts air compressors, runs welders, runs my 450ft 240v well pump- never a hiccup.

Schneider tech support has always been great and they have gone above and beyond what's expected every time i have dealt with them. They also have a specific home solar website now and i believe they have invested more into their tech dept in the past couple years.

My dad has also run the exact same inverter for about 1.5 years now with zero issues.

I self installed everything on both systems and Schneider has always been great about helping me one on one with any setup issues i had.

I wanted an inverter that i could depend on and the platform and history behind this inverter are legendary. Quiet for indoor use. Super efficient. They aren't cheap but they are built like a tank and their reputation for reliability is second to none. I couldn't be happier with my xw pro 6848.
@Koldsimer I’ve followed you for a while now on this forum. Your excellent feedback and comments as well as a few others with great write-ups on the forum is why I think the XW is the way to go for my Cabin with well pump. For my permanent residence where I don’t have any critical 240v high inrush loads I’m considering the SW to meet my demands.

If my math is correct, the XW should support that ~9kw surge for nearly 30 minutes

Screenshot_20220615-075144.png

Yes, I measured inrush with a meter at the breaker which was 37a. This pump was put in by the previous owner just over a year ago so I’m not going to change it out. I tried running it with a Honda 7000is and a Predator 9000 inverter/generator and neither could get it to kick on. They tried like hell though.
Yikes, that's a beast of a pump. Sounds like the XW is your best option. I know they are good units. If my place was fulltime situation, I'd go that way too..

For those of you that are using Lithium batteries that are NOT closed loop communication, how are you monitoring state of change and setting up battery parameters? @Koldsimer i believe you have both SoK and EG4, or did.

For those of you that are using Lithium batteries that are NOT closed loop communication, how are you monitoring state of change and setting up battery parameters? @Koldsimer i believe you have both SoK and EG4, or did.
I don’t have LFP but I have the Schneider battery monitor with a shunt that coms on the xanbuss. I see no reason to wouldn’t track SOC. charge parameters are set in user defined battery charge profile.

Back