diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Conext XW Pro 6848

Thanks. I’m a RTFM guy also. Want to know everything I can about the things I have. I’ll be getting the panels locally and that will be in a second phase. First phase is to get inverter, CC, battery, etc hooked up for power backup/grid failure before winter hits.
Have you made a battery chemistry decision?

Have you made a battery chemistry decision?
I have a set of 48v 180ah Trojan golf cart FLA batteries in excellent condition I’ll use to just get up and running, very low expectations. Would love 4 banks of SOK rack batteries but need to find a way to keep them warm in the winter. Feel some custom case with rock wool and warmers are in my future.

Separately figure I’ll just order the conext 80/600 CC now and mount it. Too much for my needs but can expand if needed in the future.

I simply set the battery charge parameters and inverter LBCO as I would with Lead Acid, but using the numbers for LiFePO4. I've said before (in other threads) that I think the closed loop stuff is over-sold. I see a small benefit to lower the charging current near the end to allow balancing, but I've not really seen any problem with not having that. In the end, whether it is LiFePO4 or L-A you have numbers (bulk voltage, absorption voltage, float voltage, max absorption time, and tail current. You can just set these to work great for LiFePO4, or you can set them to work great for L-A.

Having said that, my 6 year old Schneider CSW4024 does have some quirks that make working with LiFePO4 a bit harder. For one, there seems to be a bug that won't let me set the charger to a bulk voltage of lower than 28.8V, which is significantly higher than the 28.0V I would prefer. Second, at least my version of the firmware doesn't let me set the LBCO higher than 24V (3V per cell). I would have preferred 24.8V (3.1V per cell), but I guess 24V will do.
Horsefly,
I have a Schneider SW4024 that's about six years old also. Using custom battery settings my Bulk voltage is set at 27.5, absorption 27.2. Not sure why yours would not do so as well . Firmware 03.11.00-10. Best.

Horsefly,
I have a Schneider SW4024 that's about six years old also. Using custom battery settings my Bulk voltage is set at 27.5, absorption 27.2. Not sure why yours would not do so as well . Firmware 03.11.00-10. Best.
Yeah, my firmware is 3.05.00 build 4. It hasn't been updated since I've owned it, and I don't actually have a way to update it (no Gateway or other devices to do firmware upgrades).

I'm actually not real worried about having to use the higher bulk voltage. I tested it once and just had the absorption time set low (10 minutes). Although the charger thought it was at 28.8V, the battery was only at 27.9V due to the voltage drop with the high charging current. Besides, in 6 years since the solar was installed I think the generator has only been used about once per year. During hunting season there is less snow and more people at the cabin, so the battery gets run down one day.

I am writing here since my concern surrounds an S/E Insight box. Does anyone that reads this have issues with wifi connectivity and the S/E I nsight interface ? Have an xw6848 Pro with it. Seems to disconnect after a day or so and requires a three-minute power cycle to recover. Currently have the firmware at Version: v1.14 Build 488 [ 17 th Sept 2021] which I believe is the latest and greatest version.

I stopped using the wifi interface in mine, plugged in an Ethernet CAT-5, works fine now.
The Access Point built into the insight seems to have a very weak signal.

Your contents list 'Gateway' is it that of the Insight Home box you have ?
I have a gateway at another site that is cat6 connected and works 24/7 for months
It is this Insight Home thats the 'dog'

I stopped using the wifi interface in mine, plugged in an Ethernet CAT-5, works fine now.
The Access Point built into the insight seems to have a very weak signal.
I see you have a 21kw genset. We almost got that but ended up with the Isuzu 4LE1 unit, same specs. How does your dual xw work with that genset ? Have you ever had to use or test the gen assist function?
On another site -- My single 6848 Pro has a decrepit 7500D single diesel engine powering it. And if I try the assist, all the XW does it switch to batteries and never assist the genset above lets say 3000 watts. Will cycle back to gen after the 10 seconds, but never hybrid.

I had a Gateway that had connection issues like you are having and it eventually died.

I have the "Conext Gateway 865-0329". Apparently, discontinued now:

I don't use the XW Pro generator connection.
Genset puts out more amps (87), than the XW Pro relay can accept (60).
I switch the loads between solar or genset:
solar_generator_square_d_transfer_switch copy.jpg

I am writing here since my concern surrounds an S/E Insight box. Does anyone that reads this have issues with wifi connectivity and the S/E I nsight interface ? Have an xw6848 Pro with it. Seems to disconnect after a day or so and requires a three-minute power cycle to recover. Currently have the firmware at Version: v1.14 Build 488 [ 17 th Sept 2021] which I believe is the latest and greatest version.

I also use a CAT5 cable connection. I agree that the Insight wifi is weak and a cable connection is much more reliable.

A couple thoughts about the wifi. Is it setup in stand alone AP mode or is it connected to your home wifi network? If it connected to your home network have you set a static address for it in the router? When you say disconnects are you talking about the web browser, the Insight Cloud or the mobile app?

Running on the cat6 lan. On the overnight the network went to hell. 100% of the fix was pulling the Insight from the lan.

Running on the cat6 lan. On the overnight the network went to hell. 100% of the fix was pulling the Insight from the lan.

So if I had to guess I'd say it's a network issue. I'd check for conflicts in the network setup. Duplicate IP addresses, multiple dhcp servers, etc.?

I have my system configured for "no sell", but have "Grid Support" enabled.
The inverter uses power from the grid when the load requires more than the PV can supply, works great.
I noticed a tiny amount of leakage (Wh) into the grid, contacted Schneider about it, they said
it was normal.
I sent an EM to the wattnode company, they said it was a Schneider issue, nothing their product could do about it.
View attachment 98672
View attachment 98671
PVdude,
Appreciate all your posts. Good learning op for me!
Question:
Power leaking back to the grid, however tiny, says the INV isn't just a passive load on the Grid even if the software bit is set not to.
So do you know if the Grid goes down that the Schneider will recognize this and stop even its 'dribble' mode?
Part of me can't imagine Schneider not doing this for power fails because of danger to linemen. I don't want to ever shoot power to the grid even if they would buy it here, but I need even less to hurt someone or get slapped with a lawsuit. (Part of me is concerned that a software glitch could get it dumping my energy to someone else. I would like to see that done in hardware so I could never possibly happen, but....)

Do you know if this unit is designed to operate this way and I'm just OCD about getting all the details covered?

Best regards,
B

Schneider said it is normal, whatever that means.
Might mean the tech support person just wanted to clear the ticket.

I do not know if the app is actually calculating the Wh correctly, or where it is being measured in the system.
In any case 3Wh per day is a very tiny amount of energy. (10,800 Joules)

If I knew how/what to install to measure the Wh going in the direction of the grid, I would try it, just to see what is going on.
(Beyond my technology expertise)
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 17.00.38.png

If I knew how/what to install to measure the Wh going in the direction of the grid, I would try it, just to see what is going on.
Wouldn't that be your utility power meter? ?

PVdude,
Appreciate all your posts. Good learning op for me!
Question:
Power leaking back to the grid, however tiny, says the INV isn't just a passive load on the Grid even if the software bit is set not to.
So do you know if the Grid goes down that the Schneider will recognize this and stop even its 'dribble' mode?
It's more likely the instantaneous changes in load and the inverter taking nano seconds to react and adjust output. In those tiny moments, there's the chance of letting some output to the grid.
Part of me can't imagine Schneider not doing this for power fails because of danger to linemen. I don't want to ever shoot power to the grid even if they would buy it here, but I need even less to hurt someone or get slapped with a lawsuit. (Part of me is concerned that a software glitch could get it dumping my energy to someone else. I would like to see that done in hardware so I could never possibly happen, but....)

Do you know if this unit is designed to operate this way and I'm just OCD about getting all the details covered?
I'd say, yes you're being OCD. The unit is tested and certified to open relays and physically disconnect both lines (L1 and L2) from the grid.
I've tried it, functions as designed. We're not talking about a bargain basement inverter, this is tier 1 equipment.
Best regards,
B

Just because...curiosity....

I ordered another Iotawatt

It will be dedicated to the inverters AC input, L1, L2.

No idea if the CT provided will be able to accurately measure the tiny amount of energy I am looking for.
Searching the Iotawatt user forum was inconclusive.

I ordered two different types of CT, so as to compare them in circuit.

I put an Iotawatt in the house about a year ago, to see grid current & inverter output to the house devices.
Input_0 is the voltage reference
Input_1,2 are the grid
Input_3,4 are inverter output to the house.
The Schneider electronics are installed in a shed, 200 ft. behind the house, Iotawatt #2 is going there.

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 18.42.03.png

Back