diy solar

diy solar

Schneider xw pro 6848 not powering up with eg4 lithium battery

@Koldsimer
Did you get a resolve or working start up sequence you are permanently satisfied with ?

It's a little chilly here today, and got me wondering. What if you have a shut down due to low temp cut off or a Low voltage disconnect. Will the batteries allow the XW to restart once the disconnect cause is cleared?

I'd wanna test and see. Will u have to jump through hoops to make it restart after some disconnect?
No I have not. I'm nervous about trying to restart knowing I can only do so during the day with the scc's help. Still not 100% sure why it even works to be honest.

The other day when i was finally able to get them to work, i tried to start again with just the batteries and no scc help. Same result- clicks and pulses. I only waited maybe 5 seconds, plenty of time to keep the caps charged i thought, and it still didn't start. Like you and many have said, including Signature, it's a problem with the bms/resistor and i'm hoping they can figure it out.

Until they do, I imagine i'm stuck with batteries that aren't what I was promised during purchase or that i can depend on to start my system.

I'm really hoping they come up with a permanent fix for this, The fact that they are getting an xwpro 6848 shows they are going to try and fix the issue imo.

Still not 100% sure why it even works to be honest.
I'm 99% certain that the reason it works is because when the BMS would cut off the battery while the XW is in startup, the SCC is in the process of pumping current into the system. So the battery doesn't see as big of a pull, the voltage drop off isn't seen by the XW, the SCC supplements the current it's pulling on startup, and the battery is only mildly unhappy for a split second.

A question I had earlier in this thread that was never answered that will impact you and others with this issue, is the BMS in the EG4 batteries end user updatable?
I assume it will at the minimum take a BMS firmware update, otherwise they would have already suggested a parameter change in the BMS. It could be a hardware timer too, which means new BMS/Battery.

We just bought (2) EG4’s in 100AH, 48 volts, connected in parallel. We have a Magnum Energy 4400 watt inverter and Midnite Solar 150 mppt. We experienced the same problem when trying to connect to the inverter. Both batteries showed a red alarm light and no voltage out of the batteries. Both batteries were measuring 52.8 volts. We tried turning on the batteries independently and together with the same results. The communication cables are not connected. After experimenting with different sequencing of connecting the batteries, we stumbled on a method that seems to work, at least for now. We switched our inverter back to our old AGM battery set. We let each new EG4 battery sit with the breaker on for an hour while the other battery was off. We then turned them both on so they were connected in parallel. Next we turned off the AC output breaker in the inverter. We turned off the DC breaker as well as turning the mode in the mppt to off. We then disconnected the AGM batteries and connected the EG4’s to the inverter. We then reversed the process by turning the DC breaker on, turned the mppt back on and turned the AC output back on. The batteries went to 50% percent green lights, and have been working for a few days. The tech guys at Signature Solar tried to help, but I think they are overwhelmed at the moment. It could just be dumb luck that we got the batteries running, but I wanted to point out that this issue isn’t just a Schneider inverter issue. As pointed out previously, the owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the start up issue, the capacity and performance of the batteries seems as advertised.

Last edited:
Just to be clear @HighCountryBill do you have the EG4 LifePower4 48v batteries "No LCD Screen"?

This is very useful information for Signature Solar and confirms there's a bigger issue with their batteries, than just the Schneider inverters not being happy with their pre-charge, it appears other inverters are having issues with them as well.

Just to be clear @HighCountryBill do you have the EG4 LifePower4 48v batteries "No LCD Screen"?

This is very useful information for Signature Solar and confirms there's a bigger issue with their batteries, than just the Schneider inverters not being happy with their pre-charge, it appears other inverters are having issues with them as well.
Yes, we have the new EG4 LifePower4. No LCD screen.

It seems like some method of by passing the pre charge resistor, or having it either user programmable or manually operable would solve the problem

We just bought (2) EG4’s in 100AH, 48 volts, connected in parallel. We have a Magnum Energy 4400 watt inverter and Midnite Solar 150 mppt. We experienced the same problem when trying to connect to the inverter. Both batteries showed a red alarm light and no voltage out of the batteries. Both batteries were measuring 52.8 volts. We tried turning on the batteries independently and together with the same results. The communication cables are not connected. After experimenting with different sequencing of connecting the batteries, we stumbled on a method that seems to work, at least for now. We switched our inverter back to our old AGM battery set. We let each new EG4 battery sit with the breaker on for an hour while the other battery was off. We then turned them both on so they were connected in parallel. Next we turned off the AC output breaker in the inverter. We turned off the DC breaker as well as turning the mode in the mppt to off. We then disconnected the AGM batteries and connected the EG4’s to the inverter. We then reversed the process by turning the DC breaker on, turned the mppt back on and turned the AC output back on. The batteries went to 50% percent green lights, and have been working for a few days. The tech guys at Signature Solar tried to help, but I think they are overwhelmed at the moment. It could just be dumb luck that we got the batteries running, but I wanted to point out that this issue isn’t just a Schneider inverter issue. As pointed out previously, the owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the start up issue, the capacity and performance of the batteries seems as advertised.
Same reason I keep my 78 gmc around... to jump start my Tesla.

@Mr-Sandman , when are you getting your batteries? I'm very curious to see what happens in your case. Certainly hoping for a better result

It seems like some method of by passing the pre charge resistor, or having it either user programmable or manually operable would solve the problem
Agreed. Having it user programmable, within a certain range would most likely solve the problem. I downloaded the software, and it doesn’t allow any tweaking of the settings.

@Koldsimer I called Signature Solar a few days ago after this issue was brought to light by you, to see where EXACTLY my batteries are. After some searching they found them sitting in the warehouse waiting to be picked up by freight company.

I discussed the issue you are having with them and informed them I have the same Schneider inverter. They suggested they hold my order until they test the batteries with a Schneider inverter they have on the way and address any issues. I've been waiting months on these batteries and really need them, so out of frustration I chose to pay the extra money to get the EG4 LL batteries instead (They are $250 more per battery). They claim they have been tested with Schneider inverters and won't have this issue. We shall see soon how they work, should be here early next week.

I will report how they work, although I realize that isn't necessarily helpful to you as they are a different model and apparently have different BMS.

Last edited:

Seems like a bypass should work.

I suspect I’ve never had a problem with my 18 month older EG4 because it doesn’t have a pre charge resistor.

@HighCountryBill What did your inverter do when you were trying to start with the new batteries? DId it click and hum as well? I'm surprised because i was thinking these batteries were having trouble starting large, 6K+ inverters only, although the magnum is a hd unit and may have huge caps, i dunno. Did it provide any trouble codes?

Glad you got them going. Hopefully you weren't as discombobulated as i was when they didn't fire up the first time....

As pointed out previously, the owners manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah, that manual was actually modified by a member of this forum in an effort to make it easier to read IIRC. They did a great job and it's much easier to read now but you know the saying, bad data in....

I told Signature about the issues i found with the new lifepower eg4 batteries and the owner's manual not being accurate (dip switch settings, run/alarm light codes, grounding screw info, conflicting soc info etc.) and they haven't updated the info in the link on their website. They did finally acknowledge in another thread that the run/standby/alarm light codes are completely different for the lifepowers.

Last edited:
This doesn’t sound good for me. I have 6 of them in shipping right now along with a MS4448pae. I don’t have lead acid or AGM batteries to start the inverter with. I even asked them before I bought them if they would work with a Magnum. They told me no problem. That is if I ever get them. They have been parked in some podunk little town outside Boulder Colorado for a week now with no movement.

That is if I ever get them. They have been parked in some podunk little town outside Boulder Colorado for a week now with no movement.

Somebody's going to send you a bill.

I'm Wondering if I’ll luck out starting a Magnum because I’ll have 6 total batteries In parallel? My hole house at any given time is only pulling less then 300w. Until we run the microwave or propane dryer. My largest draw is my 120v 11 amp shallow well pump. But I’m also going to rewire that to 230v@4.5A. Maybe 5.5 I forget.

I'm Wondering if I’ll luck out starting a Magnum because I’ll have 6 total batteries In parallel? My hole house at any given time is only pulling less then 300w. Until we run the microwave or propane dryer. My largest draw is my 120v 11 amp shallow well pump. But I’m also going to rewire that to 230v@4.5A. Maybe 5.5 I forget.
It's not a matter of load or current. The problem is the battery. Best of luck.

It's not a matter of load or current. The problem is the battery. Best of luck.
So you think I should call the place I’m buying the inverter from and see if I can cancel the order? They were building me a custom Magnum load center. Last I spoken with them they were still waiting on parts that they were out of stock on. I’m probably stuck with the batteries no matter what since they have already shipped.

I knew I should have sourced all my stuff locally.

Back