diy solar

diy solar

Schneider xw pro 6848 not powering up with eg4 lithium battery

To have shorted input would mean the inverter couldn't function at all. Either never tested at the factory, or blown after test?

To have no continuity out of the box sounds like no decoupling capacitors connected directly to battery terminals. Is there a battery breaker in the inverter? Order of operation, as jyoung1 mentions.

So many people have reported inverters which ran just fine on every battery they tried, except the one they bought from SS. The inrush to a capacitor can be massive, trips BMS, blows class-T fuses. Yet none of us ever had that problem with lead-acid. We suspect there is variable behavior between inverters, even of same model, and marginal performance of the built-in precharge circuit.

Can you connect the "fault" inverter to the EG4 battery (or any battery, even 12V car battery or flashlight battery) through a resistor or light bulb and measure voltage? Curious whether it does charge up, proving "continuity" isn't a direct short.
Lemme get back to you on this... From what i remember if i add a resistor to the negative terminal and turn it all on the resistor will get REALLY hot...

They would show continuity, because capacitors are a dead short until enough current flows to charge them up to voltage of source.
Pretty sure you are wrong on this. One random reference: https://electronicguidebook.com/should-capacitors-have-continuity/
But, should capacitors have continuity? Capacitors should not have continuity. However, when testing the capacitor using the continuity function of a multimeter you might get intermittent ‘beeping’ due to the capacitor charging and discharging. Note, this does not indicate that the capacitor has continuity.

If there is a constant ‘beeping’ from the multimeter, this shows that there is continuity in the capacitor which means that it is faulty.
While the capacitor is installed as a short, the dielectric of the capacitor only stores the charge.

Caps charging with nothing hooked up? just the inverter itself?

Lemme get back to you on this... From what i remember if i add a resistor to the negative terminal and turn it all on the resistor will get REALLY hot...

Just use a 120V incandescent light bulb as a resistor. Negative battery cable of inverter to negative terminal of EG4 battery (which is also powering your other inverter.) Positive battery cable to pin of floor lamp plug. Other pin of floor lamp plug to positive terminal of EG4 battery.

With about 50V across bulb it may glow dimly won't get too hot. (poorly chosen resistor would.)
See if inverter, with its DC breaker (does it have one?) turned on gradually comes up to battery voltage. Then move positive battery cable direct to EG4 positive terminal.

Of course, if inverter fires up and draws power, either no-load or supplying loads, this won't work without a carefully selected precharge resistor. Maybe it fires up automatically after as second? Ideally it powers up to a non-running state, drawing minimal power (my Sunny Island is 4W), and waits for you to tell it to run. This is the difficulty of designing one-size-fits-all precharge circuit, without knowing the load.

Pretty sure you are wrong on this. One random reference: https://electronicguidebook.com/should-capacitors-have-continuity/

I've measured a lot of capacitors, inductors, transformers, resistors.

The limit, as capacitance goes to infinity, is a short. Bulk capacitors on input of an inverter come close to that, as viewed by a DMM.

But just in case sten's inverter really is shorted, I told him to make an RC circuit. No harm, no foul, and it will reach steady state after a while.

I don't think this is a great thread to move over to the vendor comments due to the whale factor. It isn't helpful to people trying to figure out who to work with unless they spend a few days reading everything.

@Koldsimer should really do a summary thread that discusses what happened, and his opinions of the vendor based on the experience. Reference this thread in the new one for the record... but consolidate the concerns much more: what he initially liked about the experience, the failures of customer support, the ultimate resolution (and time required to get there), and then ultimately would he buy the (replaced LL) product again from SS.

Back