diy solar

diy solar

Schneider xw pro 6848 not powering up with eg4 lithium battery

I'll be looking into this to try and find out if this was indeed the issue people were running into. I'll be honest - I've asked very specific questions to our manufacturer about these units with somewhat vague responses, and I've always done my best to answer on here with all the info I was given. We have recently taken to completely re-writing manuals (like for the new inverters) in house from the ground up, and going through a very structured testing process on site. This is something that will be going into more depth with the batteries as well. I've really pushed to have much better documentation and training available for tech support and customers - I hope you can all see that we are growing and getting better. I'm only one small part of a large team that is taking the helm for this process. Re-writing the battery manuals, learning everything about them down to the circuit boards and programming is next on our list.

The pre charge will be automatically turned on in 3 states,
The first is after the bms is powered on
The second is after waking up from sleep (no load)
The third is after pressing the button to reset the BMS
You guys should get together and figure this out. When you do get on the same page, update your manual to accurately reflect the details of the pre-charge function.

While your at it, how about coming to an agreement on charging voltages. Saw three very different recommendations for voltages in your literature 6 months ago and it still hasn't been corrected.

In @Will Prowse latest video on the lifepower 4 batteries, he mentions using a specific technique to initiate the bms pre-charge, much like the SOK. Is he wrong about that?
Yeah every server rack pack requires shutting down the BMS with reset button till lights turn off. Then turning it back on with circuit breaker closed. They all have the same bms and work in the same fashion.

Yeah every server rack pack requires shutting down the BMS with reset button till lights turn off. Then turning it back on with circuit breaker closed. They all have the same bms and work in the same fashion.
Thanks for confirming that. Is that the only way to use the pre-charge or does it activate automatically under other turn on procedures? Do you have a way to measure and confirm? If you turn on bms then close breaker, is pre-charge utilized? Sorry for all the questions but i'd love to finally get an accurate answer to this stuff. Thanks.

You guys should get together and figure this out. When you do get on the same page, update your manual to accurately reflect the details of the pre-charge function.

While your at it, how about coming to an agreement on charging voltages. Saw three very different recommendations for voltages in your literature 6 months ago and it still hasn't been corrected.
speaking of very different recommendations of charge voltages, I have three EG4 LiFEpower 48v 100AH each that I just connected to my Xantrex 6848pro, what are your charges settings? attached screenshot of my current settings

Attachments

• Snap 2022-05-26 at 12.08.27.png
    Snap 2022-05-26 at 12.08.27.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220525_082536.jpg
    20220525_082536.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 17
speaking of very different recommendations of charge voltages, I have three EG4 LiFEpower 48v 100AH each that I just connected to my Xantrex 6848pro, what are your charges settings? attached screenshot of my current settings
I'm running 57.5 absorb for 15 minutes. Floating at 56.5 Seems to be working well

My Victron is set to lithium setting 56.8v absorption and 54.00 float. No problems here.

It is auto,
Will is very independent and does not do his videos under directions, probably the reason why he stands out in the DIY YouTube space. We are going to have to mention this but it seems to do no harm the way he’s doing it.
It still doesnt ans his question.
And again this is the frustrating distrusting responses i was referring to .
Its not nice from your part .
Responses like this makes me do the eyebrows.
Its better to ues or not or if you dont know.
It can be the "company would not be pursuing that or you dont recommend it"

As simple as that at least your cutomer can move on and make a decision.

I don't cycle my batteries like a lot of you guys do, my is just for emergency backup. I don't like charging my batteries into the "heals", I try to keep them around 90%. My Absorb is 54.2 "15 mins" and float to 54.1. that keeps me around 90% to 95% charged. I do cycle them occasionally.

On another note guys i swapped the bms on the SS four Life4 batteries.
I must say thanks to Richard,there was some resolutions.
Fired up the batteries with the overkill bms .
Radian started with just three out of the four and is running.
I will add these also:
Its a well built battery .
For those that would want to swap out the bms you will have to take out the entire LIFe battery bms which includes the wire harness
I felt a bit disappointed the harness was not compatible with the overkill bms .It was so nicely done.
I will post a video on this hopefully by tomorrow.
I dont have a video or pic of the internals thats because i was busy putting stuff back in and didnt had a spare hand.
It took me the entire day to get this dont on the four life4

On another note guys i swapped the bms on the SS four Life4 batteries.
I must say thanks to Richard,there was some resolutions.
Fired up the batteries with the overkill bms .
Radian started with just three out of the four and is running.
I will add these also:
Its a well built battery .
For those that would want to swap out the bms you will have to take out the entire LIFe battery bms which includes the wire harness
I felt a bit disappointed the harness was not compatible with the overkill bms .It was so nicely done.
I will post a video on this hopefully by tomorrow.
I dont have a video or pic of the internals thats because i was busy putting stuff back in and didnt had a spare hand.
It took me the entire day to get this dont on the four life4
My life4 batteries was missing the plactic tray that covered the connection .(From videos from SS and other utubers that showed the internal of the battery).
Just thought i would let you know.
Manufacture date seem to be 2021 late september.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.33.04 PM.png
I can't tell from that image if you are connecting that negative cable all the way down to the bottom of the negative busbar or at the top like it was shipped as? If you didn't flip that negative busbar around you'll be putting a lot more wear on that top battery compared to the bottom one.

I don't cycle my batteries like a lot of you guys do, my is just for emergency backup. I don't like charging my batteries into the "heals", I try to keep them around 90%. My Absorb is 54.2 "15 mins" and float to 54.1. that keeps me around 90% to 95% charged. I do cycle them occasionally.
Do you have any balancing issues running them at those voltages? Have you checked individual cells to see if anything is extremely high or low? I thought the bms needed the higher voltage to properly balance cells.

The latest numbers i saw on Signature and SOK both recommend 57.7 for absorb but that seems high to me.

I just started running them at 57.5 the other day after i added the SOK. They had been at 56.5 absorb but i recently noticed some large cell voltage gaps and figured i'd try the higher voltage to see if it helps balance things out.

@Mahendra Gomanie really glad you were able to finally get a resolution to your situation. I can only imagine being halfway around the world and having these issues. Frustrating i bet.

When I manually cycle them "pull them down to 10% or so and recharge to 100%" I use higher voltage "56 volts if I recall". I forget the exactly threshold, but the SOC indicators re-zero to 100% and the BMS will shut charging off to them. I do that every couple months or when I think about. Looking at the individual cell voltages they stay close except for 1 cell in 1 battery it always has been about .1 volts low. Probably in issue, I probably should reach out to signature solar about that.

Back