diy solar

diy solar

Scotty 3kW Bidirectional DC to DC Charger to handle charging from alternator for my motor home

apcorob

I am thinking that this new product is just what the doctor ordered to allow me to charge my lithium batteries using my bus alternator.

This may be a disruptive game changer product. Pl watch this video

I am combining it with

20kWh NCM Samsung Bank (with room for 10 kWh more if necessary, Orion Jr. BMS, stored inside an air conditioned well insulated bus)
Quattro 48/10000/140-100/100 120V
Cerbo GX

Four Battery Replinishment sources:
1) 4.5 kw 48 volt solar on top of bus (assume great sun)
2) Alternator charging using the 3K Scotty with 12 volt 240 amp heavy duty Leece-Neville alternator (not installing second dedicated alternator)
3)plug in 50A or 30A most nights at home or venues (do not want to use this)
4) Back up 2000 watt small inverter emergency generator to be used only if I will not have nightly plug in at an outside venue. (do not want to even transport this or rely on this except in unusual circumstances).

Power needs are nearly identical to Cinergi's bus (thank you for your hard work.... and everybody here also).

I plan to remove the 8.5 kw 120 volt cummins generator and plan to power air 24/7 provided by an inverter high seer mini split (36000BTU) heat pump from LG or another good maker .... the mini-split will provide heating which will be supplimented with electric heaters if we end up in Fargo in January (as I did two years ago.... 40 below)

When not at a venue or garaged (where it will have shore power) it will be driven each day. Boondocking is unlikely. Assume a minimum of 3 hours each day of driving and often 10 hours.

I am really interested in the Scotty. I think I may be breaking ground here in this forum for this; and, am looking for feedback and warnings from the many experts here. Installation and the battery are being provided by experts. If possible, all parts are Victron. I am not an expert but have done my best to figure out a set up which is about as bullet proof and hardy as anything I can find. That is the main goal.

I do appreciate warnings, suggestions, experience etc. We will be normally in very hot places but could be in very cold places now and then.

Help and advice please. I plan on ordering next week unless the idea is killed by one of the geniuses here.

Thanks
Rob

P.S. I know I need a transformer to run the heat pump mini-split. The engine is an old garbage truck fire truck chugger 3208 cat engine and can take another alternator; but, I am sticking with just one as I am just not wanting to put any more loads on my engine right now. Advice is appreciated. 36 BTU is as large as I can comfortably go right now with the design... so, bigger is not possible. Smaller is if it makes sense.

P.P.S. After a lot of work I have been unable to get solid comfort about how many BTU's I need to keep the bus cold (low 70's) in 100 plus degree weather with 2 humans, 3 dogs, 1 cat and a big bird. It is well insulated and has ceramic coatings on windows.

Last edited:
Apcrob, I would first determine the square footage of your bus. Then google “what size mini split do I need”. You may be pleasantly surprised. A 12,000 btu mini split can handle a fair sized area.

Back