diy solar

diy solar

Scream Power LiFePo Batteries - Should I try them?

Without a recommendation or some independent test results I'd stay away from unknowns.

I’m a beginner and don’t want to recommend a product I haven’t fully tested, but I can share my experience.

I ordered the 12v 120Ah Scream Power battery in November. Mainly because of price and free shipping to Canada, to be honest. Took a chance since it isn’t sold by Amazon.

Arrived in good condition in the window they promised. I contacted them once about the tracking number (the shipper apparently changed), and they got back to me within 24 hrs.

It comes with a 10 amp charger, so it took a little time to top up. I did a discharge test by connecting an AC inverter. Then I connected a small power energy meter with a shunt. All this stuff was sold separately (except the charger).

My math said I should expect about 1440 watt hours, and I got 1510 watt hours. So I considered that a success.

I plan to use the system as battery backup during power outages - so I don’t plan for lots of regular charge-discharge cycles.

I’ve actually decided to order a second identical battery so I can connect them in parallel. I figured it made sense to get the second now so they would be about the same age and voltage.

Hopefully the second arrives in as good condition as the first, then I can start working out how to wire them together.

@Darrenm01 Did you test low voltage charge cutoff? I've been reading that the BMS does not have low voltage protection. Can you confirm. BTW, I'm in Ottawa and considering purchasing these for my RV.

I received my second 12v 120Ah Scream Power battery a few weeks ago. This one came with documentation, which the first did not. I’ve attached what they sent.

I also measured the battery capacity in watt hours. I was a bit braver, since I knew a little better how low the voltage could go without causing issues (and like you said didn’t know for sure it had a low voltage cut-off).

Good news is it provided more than the rated capacity: 1618 watt hours.

I have a decent quality 600 W DC to AC power inverter. I was running all my battery load through that. The specs say:
Input under-voltage alarm: 9.8 V DC ± 0.3 V
Input under-voltage shutdown: 9.5 V DC ± 0.5 V

This means my inverter should shut down between 9 and 10 v. But when everything shut off, I believe I had to plug in the charger to power up my multimeter, but the voltage was 10.9 when it first came on.

I could run another test on it. Is there a definite way to test that the battery has a voltage cutoff?

Right now I’m not 100% sure the battery shut down, then my inverter shut down.

Discharged_second_battery.jpg

Attachments

• scream_power_manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
I found a question that was asked on Amazon and answered by the seller:

Does the BMS provide a protection against overcharge ?

Yes.BMS will provide charge and discharge protection and short circuit protection.
Kepler Industrial Co., Ltd. Seller

Amazon question about Scream Power BMS

I can’t open the battery without destroying the plastic case. It seems to be good quality plastic made out of two pieces. The lid of the box appears to be glued on, but it’s almost like plastic - it’s not something you could pull apart or heat with a hair dryer and pry open.

The seller has never advertised a low-temp cut-off for charging. Based on that and the manual they sent with my last battery, it’s safe to say it does not have low-temp cut-off.

So this would limit some use cases. Not sure if someone who is resourceful and can add a similar feature outside the battery (without having to saw the case apart and replace the BMS).

And maybe in the US the price isn’t as compelling. But buying the battery through Amazon (for me) included shipping, duty, and sales taxes. So the price they list is the out the door price.

I am concerned about their generic documentation and sticker on all their batteries. I hope they stick around, but they do have the feel of a company that could disappear. Definitely not the same comfort level as a Renogy or Battle Born!

Yes.BMS will provide charge and discharge protection and short circuit protection.

I can’t open the battery without destroying the plastic case. It seems to be good quality plastic made out of two pieces. The lid of the box appears to be glued on, but it’s almost like plastic - it’s not something you could pull apart or heat with a hair dryer and pry open.

The seller has never advertised a low-temp cut-off for charging. Based on that and the manual they sent with my last battery, it’s safe to say it does not have low-temp cut-off.

So this would limit some use cases. Not sure if someone who is resourceful and can add a similar feature outside the battery (without having to saw the case apart and replace the BMS).

And maybe in the US the price isn’t as compelling. But buying the battery through Amazon (for me) included shipping, duty, and sales taxes. So the price they list is the out the door price.

I am concerned about their generic documentation and sticker on all their batteries. I hope they stick around, but they do have the feel of a company that could disappear. Definitely not the same comfort level as a Renogy or Battle Born!

On Amazon there is actually someone that asks for low temp protection.
But, I don´t know if it is the manufacturer or someone else that answers..
So, I don´t know if it´s true or not.

Question:
Please verify BMS has / low temperature protection.
Answer:
Yes, low temperature protection is standard for a BMS this size.
By Michael See on February 15, 2021

I am in search for a battery, and was temped to buy the "SOK" battery, that Will Prowse seems to recommend, but they are out of stock, I have sent them an e-mail just to ask when they will be back.
But, maybe this would be an alternative, I don´t know, I am a little afraid when I haven´t seen what´s inside them..

Last edited:

I opened mine. The seller showed me how in response to a warranty request I have pending. Battery worked well for me for the first few months, but I'm not sure it achieved its rated capacity, and it failed after 3 months of use. See my post here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/scream-power-lifepo4-battery-wont-hold-above-14v-charge.22227/

To the seller's credit they've been prompt in responding and are willing to send me parts to fix the battery. So we'll see what happens.

I opened mine. The seller showed me how in response to a warranty request I have pending. Battery worked well for me for the first few months, but I'm not sure it achieved its rated capacity, and it failed after 3 months of use. See my post here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/scream-power-lifepo4-battery-wont-hold-above-14v-charge.22227/

To the seller's credit they've been prompt in responding and are willing to send me parts to fix the battery. So we'll see what happens.
Did you ever figure out the issue? I have 3 of these batteries doing the same, not charging over 13.2v or so. Any help would be appreciated!

Back