diy solar

diy solar

Screw Block For Splitting Low amperage DC

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
What would you use to take a low amperage DC 24 volt line and split it into three different outputs?

I am looking to split a 8 amp line off a fuse box to three different outputs. Each of these three lines would be sent to a DC low amp light.

I’m looking for something professional.

I looked at power distribution bus bars, but the studs are way too thick.
Terminal blocks look good, but the ones I found don’t split power, but are insulated from the next set.

I looked at the hardware store and after I bought a Gangbox, and other hardware from the aisle, it’s more pricey than I think.

A wago connector with 4 conductors would work, but I’d like to be able to mount it.

This is probably an easy item that I just entered the wrong terms in my searches.

A wago connector with 4 conductors would work, but I’d like to be able to mount it.
The make 5 position lever nuts 221-415 and 221-615.
There are din mount and surface mount carriers.

Last edited:
I would possibly chain multiples from a single connector, like this.
I never thought of crimping two wires on a single terminal ring.

I was thinking of doing something similar with chaining something on a terminal block, but I was stuck at how to get two wires on one block.

This may be what I do, and I'll see what the other posts come up with.

There are din mount and surface mount carriers.
I like the DIN Mount options, but I think at $15, its more thank I should pay. For the fuse block, I've got a Blue Sea.

Being an electronics technician was a little easier. When a part broke, I went to an illustrated parts break down and ordered that part through the supply system. Never had to decide on which part to order. Never realized how complicated the seemingly simple stuff could be. My Solar build involved over 100 different purchases, each of those purchases with several items that got installed. It was so much easier to just maintain a pre-built item with good maintenance procedures.

Things have changed over the years though. Guys who are working the same job I did are having Commercial off the shelf stuff delivered that does not have that supply chain, and if they fix a component a lot more scrambling now.

I went with the terminal Blocks With listed by @Zwy .

Although stamped rated for 600 volts and 15 amps, the construction is kind of flimsy. I Am using it at 12 volts, and may upgrade to 24 volts. The terminals inside still wobble when tightened. They are actually not secured from the plastic, but are "loosely Snug" because the screws for the terminal rings on the top and bottom, do not fit through the plastic in the middle, but kind of slide out. Also, the plastic seems like a cheap construction that would dry up and crack over time.

Overall, I bought a five pack and will use what I have left to split the circuit in my RV using a feed from the same fuse box, but won't be purchasing this again. There's got to be something better than this.

I'm not the first one to ever split a line off a fuse box to three different places, so I just need to find the right product. Car manufacturers do this all the time.

1618103717854.png
And With Wires in them:
1618103796053.png

The 12 volt line goes to two RV lights I added that draw .25 amps each and are rated 10 - 24 VDC. I will add a third lamp tomorrow. The in comes from the fuse box, and the "Curb" light goes to the curbside of the vehicle, and the "Road" goes to the roadside of the vehicle. Tomorrow a "Front" lamp gets added. Also in the top pic is the ring terminal used for the screw post.

I went with the terminal Blocks With listed by @Zwy .

Although stamped rated for 600 volts and 15 amps, the construction is kind of flimsy. I Am using it at 12 volts, and may upgrade to 24 volts. The terminals inside still wobble when tightened. They are actually not secured from the plastic, but are "loosely Snug" because the screws for the terminal rings on the top and bottom, do not fit through the plastic in the middle, but kind of slide out. Also, the plastic seems like a cheap construction that would dry up and crack over time.

Overall, I bought a five pack and will use what I have left to split the circuit in my RV using a feed from the same fuse box, but won't be purchasing this again. There's got to be something better than this.

I'm not the first one to ever split a line off a fuse box to three different places, so I just need to find the right product. Car manufacturers do this all the time.

View attachment 44593
And With Wires in them:
View attachment 44594

The 12 volt line goes to two RV lights I added that draw .25 amps each and are rated 10 - 24 VDC. I will add a third lamp tomorrow. The in comes from the fuse box, and the "Curb" light goes to the curbside of the vehicle, and the "Road" goes to the roadside of the vehicle. Tomorrow a "Front" lamp gets added. Also in the top pic is the ring terminal used for the screw post.
Sorry to hear that. I have some Hilitchi brand (no longer available) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNCNX0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and when the comb is inserted, they stiff right up. These work by passing a solid strip thru the center which fit loosely in the plastic but for those light duty jobs they do work. Other choices are the DIN rail setup or something like this marine block which is probably overkill for what you need, they also don't feed multiple circuits unless you add a jumper in between terminals or buy their jumper. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...p/B000K2K6L6/ref=psdc_306713011_t1_B00TU6AYAG

I appreciate the reply. I think the terms I need to look for are terminal blocks, terminal block jumpers, and terminal block fork jumpers.

After thinking about it a little, next time will be one terminal block. I’ll put positive on one side and negative on the other, instead of two terminal blocks; one for positive and one for negative.

The review was just meant to say fine for small jobs, but I’d be pretty nervous either using it at the full 600 volt 15 amp rating, outdoors, but at the one amp 12 volt total I’m using it at now is fine.

Reactions: Zwy
Has anyone used the screw on wire connectors to split an input in two?

This is for a 2 amp 12 volt circuit using low voltage wire. These crimp on wire connectors and low voltage wire are the way the DC side of my RV is wired. This is not the twist on like I’m mentioned in the last post, but crimp style.

I guess my question with these is have you crimped these with anything special, or will any inslated wire crimped do? Google has people using needle nose pliers, auto electric crumpets, and insulated wiring lineman‘s tool. Another google search shows nothing special for this particular device. Seems like the wild, Wild West for crimping this.

5413C26C-F7BD-4BF6-A7A5-08718CF10C65.jpeg

This is for a 2 amp 12 volt circuit using low voltage wire. These crimp on wire connectors and low voltage wire are the way the DC side of my RV is wired. This is not the twist on like I’m mentioned in the last post, but crimp style.

I guess my question with these is have you crimped these with anything special, or will any inslated wire crimped do? Google has people using needle nose pliers, auto electric crumpets, and insulated wiring lineman‘s tool. Another google search shows nothing special for this particular device. Seems like the wild, Wild West for crimping this.

View attachment 44944
The best is a pliers designed for insulated terminals. My truck camper is wired with all twist on wire nuts, I prefer those as they were designed for much higher voltage.

Just remember, 80% or more of the people out there think they know all about wiring and how to do it, but throw a 3 or 4 way switch at them and they don't have any idea how to do it. Same goes for crimping terminals, they do the job half assed.

The best is a pliers designed for insulated terminals.
The ones I saw at the hardware for insulated looked “too small and built for auto lugs.” Lacks description without a picture. In a YouTube video looked like a good size. Just not familiar with the different sets of lineman’s pliers.
Just remember, 80% or more of the people out there think they know all about wiring and how to do it,
That is one reason I’m checking here. Often the not so smart ways get sorted out here.

I was an expert at crimping 25 years ago on a very narrow set of wires and plugs, but that was with a work bought crimping kit and plenty of instructions. I know I’m a bit outside my circle here.

I do like that better than what I saw on the local hardware store.

I may stop at Harbor Freight to see what they have, This may be a one time use tool for me.

I do like that better than what I saw on the local hardware store.

I may stop at Harbor Freight to see what they have, This may be a one time use tool for me.
I use mine everyday and own 2 of each. It's just part of what I do.

Back